Compuware Reviews | Glassdoor

Compuware Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Expect to work hard and when you need it, there will be flexibility for work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• good benefits - able to move to different positions (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero career growth and no recognition (in 8 reviews)

• Working in Downtown Detroit is great but if you want to have a house with a yard you have to drive a distance from work to home (in 8 reviews)

"Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely facility with attached parking structure.

Cons

Culture of cliques. Senior Management was very remote and fostered a climate of fear. At this point, the company was very unstable.

Advice to Management

Need to look beyond the "teacher's pets". All employees have value.

"Compuware Reboot. The team you want be on and the team you never want to compete against!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In a career, you are lucky to get even one opportunity to be part of a team that transforms a company and, in so doing, a market. We have an enlightened vision for the mainframe market and an outrageously ambitious mission and strategy to remake Compuware into the best mainframe software partner for the next 50 years.

In all areas of the company (eg, product management, engineering, marketing, sales, support, finance, IT, legal and HR), we are inventing new roles, responsibilities and methods to maximize our execution capabilities and gain a unfair competitive advantage. Whether you are a recent college graduate or someone more than a decade into your career, this transformation will provide an incredible career experience unlike anything else in Detroit,

Product management and engineering, specifically, are creating an innovation engine unlike anything the mainframe software market has ever seen. These teams are getting dangerously close to being able to conceive, qualify, design a MVP initial offering and deliver a GA product to the market all within 90 days. That's unheard of for any type software company, but unbelievable for a mainframe software company. How cool to be part of a team that can make a difference for our customers at such a pace and leave our competitors standing flat footed at the starting gate.

And lastly and most importantly, Compuware has some of the best and brightest people I've ever had the pleasure of working with in my career. This last twelve months have given many people an opportunity to really shine and do things they had hoped for, but they were never given the support or the opportunity to do so. It's wonderful to see many long-term Compuware employees thriving in an environment that lets them exhaust their many talents.

Cons

Compuware is a radically different company from twelve months ago and people that have been gone for more than a year would be shocked at just how much has truly changed.

The urgency and intensity is exciting, but it's clearly not for everyone. Compuware has a culture that increasingly demands everyone to be highly engaged in their respective execution responsibilities and, when someone is not, they quickly stand out.

Executive management expects much, sometimes too much but they also lead by example and have proven over and over again that team Compuware can do a whole lot more than many thought possible.

I worry that we will not be able to keep up this pace, but every quarter we have people stepping up to keep our foot firmly on the accelerator.

Advice to Management

Please know that the list of detractors and cynics is getting smaller and smaller as people gain more trust in the company's collective commitment and will to realize our long-term goals. Long-term Compuware employees have been through the good, the bad and the ugly which means they know what good looks like, but the wounds of bad and ugly take time to heal. We are almost all there, but you must continue the efforts at building organizational trust.

There are highly capable and ambitious long term Compuware employees that should be given the opportunity to advance as the company grows. Executive management seems to look outside first and inside second. There are many people that are fast earning the right to be groomed and considered first.

"Challenging but rewarding place to work"

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been here for more than 10 years and over that time the company has gone through a lot of change. Not all of it has been good. However, in the last year, with the entry of our current CEO, all the changes have a much more tangible and impactful (for the good) feel. We truly are becoming the premier mainframe software vendor anywhere in the world.

The greatest asset of this company is the people. The opportunity to work with true leaders and visionaries of our technology segment should not be marginalized.

Some of the things we've done and most of the things we have planned have impact on the world. In many cases, mainframes are the power behind so much of the activity occuring in the world and Compuware is positioned to lead in providing the development tooling needs for the ongoing viability of the mainframe.

Cons

Things are evolving at pace that is not for the faint of heart. However, for those that are committed, the opportunities abound.

Advice to Management

To the Senior Management Team: Keep it up and those of us "in the ranks" will do the same.

"Mainframe Reinvigerated"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Welcoming collaborative environment with a wealth of knowledge and experience. Increased customer involvement and changing to Agile development means that we are getting our customers what they want faster than ever before.

Cons

I do not really have any complaints about working for Compuware. There has been a lot of change in the way we do business, but I see mostly positive coming out of those changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower all employees to take ownership of Compuware and its products to drive innovation on the mainframe.

5. "Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compuware is going through very dramatic changes top to bottom and appears to have the right leadership team in place to make it successful. Many companies would fold under the pressure of going private, divesting business units, and having to reinvent themselves as a new, smaller company. The current employees at Compuware, not just the management, seem to embrace and relish the challenge - making it a very exciting place to work.

Cons

Change is hard. With the dramatic changes, there will always be a few people that resist. Luckily for the company, the number of people struggling with change is very low. So this con is also a bit of a pro.

Advice to Management

Stay the course for the steady, constant improvements. Continue the open communications with All Employees. That alone goes a long way toward the successful reinvention.

"Completely new company"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

For the first time in a LONG time, Compuware executive management understands the value of the mainframe and it has made all the difference. The executives are hands on and inspire confidence. Leaders demonstrate that employees are the most important asset and promote open and honest two way communication.

The work environment is excellent and there is a very positive energy. The building has excellent on-site amenities, such as the Wellness center (gym), cafeteria, daycare, Chiropractor, Physical therapy, Doctors office, restaurants, coffee shop, sundry, etc.

Cons

Some people don't like being in downtown Detroit, although the environment downtown is very upbeat, with thousands of new people working downtown.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to trust the employees as they trust you.

"Compuware"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with the company just a short period of time. Yes, it is true, that prior to Thoma Bravo buying Compuware, Compuware was in a 'free fall' and most likely would not be here today. At the end of 2014, both Compuware and Dynatrace were split out as independent companies. I now can say, the new Compuware management, is very sincere towards making Compuware the best mainframe software house worldwide. Yes, Compuware did go through a period of layoffs. However, it seems to have stabilized at this time.

The New Compuware now is a GREAT place to work. Management is easily accessible for any business or personal related issues. Work environment is clean and safe. Tools (PC, Manuals, Class, Expert Staff) are available. Every two (2) weeks there is a Town Hall Meeting (Worldwide) between upper management and employees.

Back in April (2015), Compuware brought in the majority of its sales force (Worldwide: UK, Europe, Asia..) for a two (2) day seminar at the Renaissance Center (Downtown Detroit). What company would spend that kind of money if it didn't want to succeed!
    Some folks have a negative feeling towards Downtown Detroit (Bankruptcy, Crime rate, Personal safety, Years of Blight…). However, much of Detroit now is being ‘turned’ around. You need to experience it yourself and then form your ‘own’ opinion.

Cons

At this time, I do not have any 'Cons' to post.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work!!

8. "Exciting time for Compuware"

Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Solution Consultant in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mainframe focused. Privately held. Enthusiastic management. Positive outlook for future. Great place to work. Love home-based office.

Cons

Seeing friends being let go due to re-organization. But this seems to be behind us.

9. "Exciting Transformation"

Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Compuware (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Compuware for nearly 19 years, and I don't believe the overall enthusiasm has ever been higher. We are in the process of a significant transformation that is redefining who we are as a software vendor. It's exciting to see the rebirth of a company that's been around for more than 40 years.

Cons

Change is never easy. With it comes the inherent challenge to get everyone in sync.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Executive management has a clear direction, vision and goals for the company. They are focused on success and growth.
    The people are awesome. It's a great team atmosphere and working together to solve issues and create new things is done collaboratively as a standard rather than an exception.

Cons

Working in Downtown Detroit is great but if you want to have a house with a yard you have to drive a distance from work to home.

Advice to Management

Continue to let your staff grow and develop. Don't make assumptions about long time employees.