KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Comscore Employee Reviews about "comscore"

Updated Aug 20, 2021

Found 79 of over 592 reviews

3.5
Comscore CEO Bill Livek
Bill Livek

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Frequent layoffs aka restructuring.(in 35 reviews)
  • "Poor management, Politics, Too tall vertical heirarchy(in 34 reviews)
  • "Department managers, when not working remotely or on vacation, work in silos and repeatedly undermine each other's work.(in 21 reviews)
  • "senior leadership can be extremely old school and set in their ways(in 20 reviews)
  • "low pay and client expectations are not set correctly.(in 16 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Comscore and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "comscore"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Director

Jun 29, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company that is leading the charge in digital measurement. comScore is constantly at the forefront of innovation.

Cons

A big company that still acts like a startup. Good and bad with that but like any company, it's a challenge to navigate internally. but there are a lot of good people to help you get the answer.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Smart, Talented People. Poor Executive Leadership

Aug 20, 2021 - Product Manager in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great products, technologies, methodologies. Great People (before the mass exodus 2017-2019)

Cons

The SEC issues were well documented. comScore is a shell of its former self, primarily because of a talent drain of epic scale. Everyone good left for other opportunities.

3 people found this review helpful

Comscore Response

Thank you for leaving your review, we enjoy receiving feedback from our current employees. Turnover is always difficult, and we recognize the issues that losing team members can cause on teams. We encourage all of our employees to have an open dialogue with their management and HR to discuss the challenges they are facing, as well as any ideas on how stress can be mitigated. We share these reviews with leadership so as to continually improve the company and create a great place to work.

3. 2.0

Great People in an Extremely Frustrating Environment

May 11, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

The best thing about Comscore is the people who work there. There are so many smart, supportive, dedicated people, and they are the reason I worked there for so long. Additionally, there are so many company holidays that you feel like you work for the government. The week off between Christmas and New Year’s is amazing. The holidays, plus unlimited PTO and the relatively low-pressure environment made for a great work/life balance. Depending on which team you’re on, you will get exposed to and gain experience with some modern technology, such as Apache Spark, Apache Airflow, and AWS. There is also a lot of opportunity to learn new skills and grow if you’re motivated. Lastly, after several years of instability at the executive level and being completely rudderless as a company, it finally seems like Comscore is on solid ground and maybe moving in the right direction.

Cons

More superficially: compensation is subpar, health insurance is expensive, and “media measurement” is just a fundamentally uninteresting/ethically dubious field. Beyond that, though, there are several things that made working at Comscore frustrating. Because of the years of financial instability, there’s an overreliance on cheap, overseas contractors. People are loath to make decisions or take responsibility for getting things done, making it so that even modest progress can be halting. Perhaps it is because of this that the modern, cloud-based platform that was supposed to be rolled out three or four years ago is still unfinished. In their desperation to finally make a semi-functional product available to the clients, management has made some very questionable pivots with this new system. The continued struggles in building this new system was the biggest failure of my tenure. While the need for modernizing was real, poor planning, requirements gathering, software development methodology, and understanding of the system that was being replaced made it so that the new system was only better because of its modern tech stack. It honestly felt like we ignored all the good things about the legacy system and replicated the bad aspects. In other words, in spite of having this amazing opportunity to rebuild from the ground up, the lack of planning and real requirements meant that we were forced to write hacky, disjointed code, reactively forcing in new functionality that could have been integrated more seamlessly if there had been more foresight.

9 people found this review helpful

Comscore Response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences at Comscore. We are glad that you recognize our truly greatest asset which is our people. We could not agree more! Thank you for sharing your experiences and perspectives, in total. We believe that we provide a competitive compensation package, and we rely on market surveys as one source to ensure we remain competitive. We also provide an excellent benefits offering to meet the varying needs of employees. Thank you also for sharing your feedback regarding our systems and technology. Comscore is evolving to meet the demands of our customers in the evolving media landscape. In some cases, rapid environmental change in media has required changes to specifications to ensure that Comscore delivers what our customers need. This process can expand scope and impact deadlines but we are confident customers will be happy with the result. We encourage our employees to let their management and HR teams know if there are areas where we can improve, and we hope you shared your valuable insight prior to leaving. Please feel free to reach out to HR@comscore.com if you have additional feedback to give.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great People, Unclear Path Forward

Feb 12, 2021 - Senior Data Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

People Are Great o Even when things are not fun, the people are good. I had wonderful managers who I learned from and supported me in thick and thin. I had mutually supportive and positive relationships with coworkers and enjoyed going to the office. Really top quality people, many of who I will keep in touch with. Some new things were implemented, some for cost saving reasons, some because they're right to do. o We now have Juneteenth off. Limited in scope and applicability, but a step in the right direction. New diversity programs have been initiated, and the CEO hasn't shirked from beginning to talk about diversity and equity and equality. He might even care from what we can tell on the ground. All are positive signs, but beginnings and not destinations for more corporate diversity, accountability, and awareness. o Several offices are moving to fully remote. This appears to be swiftly becoming an industry standard and getting ahead of the game will continue to make Comscore an attractive place to work. Depending on the team you land on you can just drift along and earn a paycheck without too much effort. I was never afforded the luxury of being carried, but it is a possibility depending on your luck. Sponsorship o Comscore has traditionally offered sponsorship for non-US nationals and this is clearly a positive. I cannot stress how great it is to work with quality people, regardless of who they are and where they are from. Great Learning Curve for junior Analysts o You will learn SQL if you don’t know it. You will be given opportunities to take on projects and shine. You will have experiences with technologies that will give you an edge on the job market. This is a great job for people coming out of college seeking to entire the field of data analytics.

Cons

So far as I can tell, many of the "Cons" go back years to one person- Serge Matta, the CEO before I joined. Mismanagement and fraud by Serge have caused years of pain and trouble for Comscore, and I suspect it will be years before Comscore is able to fully lift itself out of the mess it was left in during his tenure. The below reflects this and the ongoing trouble the company has been in for nearly 4 years. Lower Pay Compared to Other Companies o A lot of reviews by Data Analysts say this- it's very true. I've observed multiple people leave Comscore and consistently increase their salary by 20% or more and be incredibly successful in their new role. People consistently leave for big tech (Amazon, Facebook, etc.) and startups. Their salaries increase from 75k to 90k+ instantly. I've seen larger jumps too- $25K+ increases at times. Increasing Work Hours o Many people are working 50+ hours a week for months on end. If a big enough project comes in, management and sales will just tell you to do it and figure it out. There are not enough knowledgeable individuals put out all the fires and to generate new revenue streams at this time. Layoffs o I do not know the exact number of layoffs I survived at Comscore, but it’s high single digits if not 10 or more over 4 years. Some layoffs were large- hundreds of people. Some have been small- 5 to 10 people interspersed throughout the company. Shifting Costs of Healthcare to Employees o My healthcare costs doubled while my salary stayed the same- this is a pay cut spread over 2 years of service. Healthcare costs were directly shifted to employees: employees paid 20% of total healthcare costs in 2017, but now pay 30% of total healthcare costs in 2020/2021. HR’s only reply was “bUT wE’Re pAyInG mORe ToO!”. o Comscore cannot or will not provide cost of living raises right now so far as I can tell. Years of litigation, poor sales strategies, and shifting landscapes across TV and digital spaces without effective product pivots have caused decreases in revenue year over year. Inefficient use of resources o VPs and senior management tend not to share resources across teams. Expectations in terms of technical expertise are unequal across teams within the same business pillar. Teams are expected to support workflows or entire projects owned by other teams when they lack technical expertise, but refuse requests for bandwidth reallocation. Another of those “if you’re (un)lucky” type situations. o Teams are put together to align with Sales, forcing expertise across a breadth of technical systems and data sources. While sometimes a positive (see “Learning Curve” section above), complex projects with tight deadlines tend to fall on the few remaining more senior individuals who can develop, therefore creating a bottleneck of resources and time. Technology and 3rd Party Relationships o There have been rumors for years that Comscore cannot pay their vendors on time. Technical systems go unsupported for years at a time with employees barely keeping things moving. Data contracts are never long term, lending to the feeling that everything is temporary and unstable. Career Advancement o I was promoted in the spring of 2020 just as the pandemic kicked off. This was then retracted several days later out of an abundance of caution by the company when it became apparent to them that COVID was not a short-lived experience. At the time I was unhappy but understanding of the situation. I was happy to keep my job considering the layoffs I’d survived (see above). Leading up to late fall/beginning of winter, I was consistently told I was next in line for a raise and promotion. Promotions come and go and I win awards for my performance and work ethic, but I am not promoted. Several individuals across my organization experienced the same- this was not limited to just me. Direct conversations with management yielded no tangible reason for the slight except that there was supposedly not enough budget for my promotion. The lesson from Comscore in my mind- do not expect career growth anytime soon.

7 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Probably past the worst of it...

Feb 9, 2021 - Senior Manager - Infrastructure Management
    Business Outlook

Pros

The staff has been gutted, which means there are opportunities to grow and shape things if you're up for the risk.

Cons

Comscore went through a very bad few years, starting with scandal and ending with pandemic business loss. They are badly understaffed. Strong personalities in tech leadership make policies without fully thinking through the scope, costs, and risks, which has left engineers on the hook for nonsensical deadlines. The company is shackled to legacy tech, even after ambitious replatforms have completed. The new platforms take maintenance money from the legacy, which increases risk company-wide.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Loads of potential

Jun 27, 2020 - Data Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Comscore has lots of smart, motivated people, including especially in the technical areas (engineering, analytics, data science, prod ops, etc.). The work environment is positive. Women and people of color are treated fairly. The CEO, Bill Livek, is sincere and wants the best for all the employees.

Cons

Leadership has gone through painful changes over the last few years. The company is weighed down by expensive debt and an activist investor with crippling cash covenants. Best thing would be to get some decent financing.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Moving in the Right Direction

Mar 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a lot of room to grow and insert yourself into pivotal projects no matter what your level in the company is. This made it a great environment to grow even at a lower level. The experience I received at Comscore was great and really helped progress my career. I am not leaving because I don't believe in the company, but rather due to a career move that more aligns with my personal goals and aspirations. Comscore is moving in the right direction and is in the early stages of a turn around. If you want to be a key player in a company's success then Comscore will provide that opportunity. Although there are still some negatives, most of these are due to the challenges faced in 2019. Since Bill Livek has been in place I have really seen the company turn a corner. He has a strategy in place and a vision for where he wants to bring the company. This was something sorely missed in 2019 when the former Executive team left abruptly and an interim CEO was put in place.

Cons

2019 was a year of a lot of turmoil. None of this was the current Leaderships team's fault, but you can definitely still feel the repercussions. To mirror off of the other reviews, there were a few rounds of layoffs and top performers leaving on their own. This all led to a great deal of uncertainty over the future direction of the company. While the current leadership team now has a strategy and direction to bring the company there is still a gap left behind in terms of resources. Combined with a lack of hiring everyone remaining has taken on more responsibility and an increased workload to help fill the gaps left behind.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

was Good

Oct 25, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

comScore was a great place to work out, then the past couple of years ahve been hard

Cons

unstructured, should go back to what it was

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great People, Poor Choices by the Board and CEOs

Sep 26, 2019 - Software Engineering in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

What makes Comscore is its people. The ones that make things happen due to their dedication, intelligence, commitment. I forged so many friendships in there.

Cons

Clearly upper management has done some terrible choices, gone through so many CEOs, lawsuits, settlements, etc.. They're the reason why I left.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

terribly managed and destined to fail

Aug 1, 2019 - IT Senior Manager in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vacation if your manager allows it but due to the fact that no one knows when they will get laid off most take very small amounts of time off.

Cons

Comscore used to be a great company to work for but mismanagement has literally destroyed the company and it will surely be delisted soon. In late 2017 a new CTO was brought in and has led to disastrous consequences. The running joke was how much could he bilk the company before the Board of Directors caught on to what was happening. You never know when you will be laid off - anyone who understood the business and helped build the company has been and continues to be laid off and replaced with folks who absolutely have no understanding of the business. Essentially Director level folks have been replaced with fake Directors who are hired to simply say "yes" to whatever is asked of them. Completely unqualified replacements to save a few dollars and tow the line. The same goes for the operations. Nepotism has run amok at comscore.

19 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 79 Reviews

Popular Careers with Comscore Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Comscore? Share Your Experiences

Company Updates

490 days ago

Company News
Comscore and IHS Markit, PlaceIQ, and TransUnion Launch First Cookie-Free Audience Targeting Solution at Scale Breakthrough partnerships bring comprehensive audience segments to advertisers via Comscore’s Predictive Audiences RESTON, Va., Jan. 11, 2021 – With third-party cookie deprecation fast approaching, advertisers need bold new solutions to ensure their campaigns continue to reach the right audiences without interruption. As a trusted partner for planning, transacting and evaluating media across platforms, Comscore (NASDAQ: SCOR) is excited to launch Predictive Audiences – the industry’s first cookie-free targeting capability that enables advertisers to reach audiences based on granular consumer behavior through privacy-friendly contextual signals. The new solution, which delivers scale and precision beyond what is currently available in the industry, will be available in Q1 2021 for audiences from Comscore, IHS Markit, PlaceIQ, and TransUnion for use across digital, mobile, and connected TV (CTV) campaigns.
Shared image - Comscore and IHS Markit, PlaceIQ, and TransUnion Launch First Cookie-Free Audience Targeting Solution at Scale
glassdoor.com

494 days ago

Company News
Comscore, Inc. today announced investments from Charter Communications, Inc., Qurate Retail, Inc., and an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. Each will make a cash investment in exchange for shares of convertible preferred stock (the “Investment,” as more fully described below). Proceeds from the Investment will be used to retire the Company’s existing debt and significantly improve the Company’s financial flexibility and liquidity position. Business Highlights: - Charter and Comcast providing long-term data rights to help accelerate the path to more accurate measurement for brands, agencies and media sellers in a privacy-friendly manner - Local markets will have an unprecedented amount of data for media measurement - Smaller and independent networks will have access to better viewership measurement
Shared image - Comscore Announces Strategic Investment by Charter Communications, Qurate Retail and Cerberus
glassdoor.com

Comscore Photos

+ Add Photo
Comscore photo of: Speaker event hosted by the Professional Women of comScore Group
Comscore photo of: Lunch on the Stats & Analytics floor
Comscore photo of: Corn Hole!
Comscore photo of: Stats team at the HQ
Comscore photo of: Analytics team meeting at the HQ
Comscore photo of: Analytics team at the HQ
Comscore photo of: College Hires 2017 & Young Professionals Group winery event.