Comscore Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jun 16, 2020

Found 16 of over 592 reviews

3.5
Comscore CEO Bill Livek
Bill Livek

What people are saying about Comscore

Join the conversation on

Offer Negotiations

12d

works at

Capgemini

HCL Technologies Capgemini Tata Consultancy comScore Hi friends, I am in big dilemma, please help,I have 15+ year of exp I have two offer Hcl 39 lakh and one product based organization which is also giving around 35 fixed plus 4 lakh variables. This product based is opening their india office first time and I have been hired as senior lead, HCL is also offering as senior tech manager. I really likes the work in product based one(its in 5g), but problem is its in gurgaon so travel will be more.

5 Comments

Advertising

115.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/advertising/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Comscore~20698
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Frequent layoffs aka restructuring.(in 35 reviews)
  • "Poor management, Politics, Too tall vertical heirarchy(in 34 reviews)
  • "Department managers, when not working remotely or on vacation, work in silos and repeatedly undermine each other's work.(in 21 reviews)
  • "senior leadership can be extremely old school and set in their ways(in 20 reviews)
  • "low pay and client expectations are not set correctly.(in 16 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Comscore and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Business Analyst Intern

Jun 16, 2020 - Client Insights Analyst in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great and seamless interview and hiring process. They set you up with a mentor who guides you through various tasks on a day to day basis. Frequent interaction with your mentor and their/your boss is very useful in guiding your work. They are very focused on helping the intern get as much out of the internship as they want to.

Cons

Pay was mediocre. Upper management issues led to problems with hiring and promotions for junior level employees. Company financial issues led to three CEOs in a short period of time. Although I had a great experience on the ground level during my internship, the state of the overall company as a whole deterred me from returning to work full-time after my internship. From what I've heard, these issues may be beginning to get better, though.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great People, Poor Choices by the Board and CEOs

Sep 26, 2019 - Software Engineering in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

What makes Comscore is its people. The ones that make things happen due to their dedication, intelligence, commitment. I forged so many friendships in there.

Cons

Clearly upper management has done some terrible choices, gone through so many CEOs, lawsuits, settlements, etc.. They're the reason why I left.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good coworkers, bad upper management and codebase

May 14, 2019 - Software Engineer-II in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really like my teammates, my manager, and most coworkers and low/mid-level managers. Nearly everyone I interact with on a day-to-day basis is a pleasure to be around. Coworkers truly are the best part of comScore, and my teammates are the biggest reason I haven't yet left. We actually require code reviews (though that's often subverted by social pressure to please just hit the darned approve button already). The problem of rapidly tallying large quantities of viewership data has the potential to be very interesting.

Cons

Everything in the "Boring Corporate Blah" Glassdoor review is spot on. This is not a place where anyone has a future. I've just survived the 5th round of layoffs in 2 years, and there were others not long before I was hired. One even took place shortly before Christmas, with management insisting that was kinder than waiting until afterwards. Although software developers have been mostly unscathed by layoffs, management wants to train dramatically less costly contractors to maintain the codebases and pinky-swears it's not a prelude to more staff reductions. Perks are constantly being slashed, though they've occasionally been partially/temporarily reinstated when developer turnover has gotten high enough. Upper management might have even greater turnover than developers. For example, at the time of this writing, Glassdoor has no reviews of the current CEO... because the last one just quit yet again. I'm tempted to speculate this is the result of continued woes stemming from ex-CEO Serge Matta's accounting practices. Seriously, look up articles about Comscore's finances, delisting from NASDAQ and its associated lawsuits and upper management musical chairs. There's also a striking disconnect from day-to-day operations... the amount of bureaucracy and corporate koolaid is so overwhelming that it's mocked by even the compliance training we have to repeat every few months. The codebase I maintain is atrocious: • There is a huge amount of global state, action at a distance and side effects, with nothing being well-encapsulated. This makes it nearly impossible to reason about the code or have confidence that changes are safe. • Typical code has deep multiple-inheritance hierarchies, where classes lack clear purposes or well-defined interfaces. Most classes are involved in 2-4 levels of inheritance, but 4-10 is not uncommon. To understand a class, you have to flit back and forth between many files. • It's mostly undocumented. Previous developers suffered from the delusion that their code was self-documenting and forbidding comments would force people to write clearly. In practice you can find functions literally named after the opposite of what they do. Fortunately, most people now at the company agree that documentation is desirable. • Lots of reinventing common wheels, poorly. Alternatively, we wrap widely-used libraries, but gut important features and rework others with bugs and no documentation. • Everything is mindbogglingly manual. I sometimes feel more like I'm doing data entry than programming. More importantly, the manual mindset has completely seeped into the culture and workflows, and contributes to a high rate of mistakes. • Design issues cause testing to take forever and push the testsuite towards randomly passing/failing. This means a 5 minute 1 line change frequently requires days of manual testing to have any confidence in correctness. • Generally, working here means not being allowed to fix the myriad obvious problems. If you care about doing a good job, being at comScore is incredibly demoralizing.

23 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Several good things, a few bad things

May 1, 2017 - Software Engineer II in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of smart engineers here. Most of the hostile and cranky engineers left when Rentrak became comScore, so there's a generally good collaborative environment. Engineering managers are all really good too (good at insulating engineers from business people!) Some of benefits are of acceptable quality. Managers seem willing to give you more money if you're competent and ask for it. Managers encourage very good life/work balance.

Cons

Some engineers are incompetent or slackers and get away with it, which lowers morale. 401k is of inferior quality. Upper management seems to generally be of poor quality, though this most recent round of upper management seems OK. Company is entrenched in scandal.

10 people found this review helpful

Comscore Response

Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate the comments on the 401k plan, and we're currently reviewing that. Per your comment on transit passes, we do currently have commuter benefits across all of our offices. While we did indeed have a less than ideal 2016, to say we're entrenched in scandal is incorrect. We're currently working towards all of the requirements for updating our filing with the SEC.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Uneven

Jan 12, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

[This review is coming from a former Rentrak employee, working out of Portland.] - There are interesting problems to solve, in a variety of areas. No shortage of work to be done. - Smart, engaged co-workers

Cons

- There are high-level directives from top executives but daily tasks seem unfocussed. There doesn't appear to be clear direction from mid-level management. - An aging technology stack is kept working with minimal investment in upkeep. Scattered efforts to improve or replace our stack have failed to coalesce into real change. Bugs can exist for years without efforts to squash. - Many of the best engineers from Rentrak have left since the buyout. - Upper management seems to have a severe case of ADD, distracted by the latest flashy thing. They don't seem involved in the day-to-day work. - 401k match and benefits are pretty weak for the industry and location.

6. 4.0

Great Place to Start Out

Sep 29, 2016 - Senior Client Insights Analyst in Reston, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

comScore is a respected industry leader in audience measurement. Working in the digital space, our data isn't perfect but you can tell clients feel it's the best out there. Coming out of school you get thrown into the fire pretty quickly. This can be a good thing as you are forced to learn new skills and your resume evolves in rapid fashion. The Reston office has a great twenty-something community ideal for making friends out of school and networking across different verticals. comScore is a unique company which offers big responsibility right away with competitive compensation hiring out of school.

Cons

The company has been through some turmoil recently and it has kept upper management distracted a bit (understandably). Teams can be set in their ways and depending on the team long hours from younger employees and shorter hours from older employees can be common. comScore can try to be everything for everyone and I think that definitely affects my team. The desire to answer every question can takeaway from the ability to answer a few questions more completely. Constant changing of priorities can make accomplishing goals difficult.

3 people found this review helpful

Comscore Response

Recruiting

Thanks for the thoughtful review. We agree that career pathing is of the utmost importance. We feel particularly strong about this as it relates to recent graduates. We want to make sure we are constantly challenging them, and providing growth opportunities. Each generation of workers has a different set of values and aspirations, so that can be a bit of a moving target, but one that we need to stay on top of. We agree that the focus in 2016 was a bit erratic, but it was a truly unique year for the company. That said, Gian has lined out a good path forward for all comScorians, so we feel positive about where we are headed.

7. 2.0

comScore review

Jun 1, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to start career People are great Medical Insurance is really good Usually a good work/live balance achievable

Cons

Promotions are sucky and/or rare Poor communication of company goals down to all employees Upper management is pretty closed door Slow Pace environment

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good product but poor management

Jul 22, 2014 - Customer Support Technician in Lehi, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

It provides opportunity to work with others internationally. The colleagues are fun and the workplace is comfortable. Provide good compensation and benefits.

Cons

Lack the proper training and communication to grow and develop in the company. The product is extremely complex and you are placed in a position to be expected to learn and utilize it without any training courses. They are just beginning to build a decent knowledge-base to better this situation but it is still in the beginning stages. Management will promise to work with you so that there won't be any surprises on where you stand, but that is very far from the truth. It seems that the management is more focused on the drama within comScore than the customers they are supposed to support. Working hard goes unnoticed because most management is overseas. They report in on a phone call once a week to basically tell you what you are doing wrong. Always leaving you with a sense of discouragement and never knowing if you are going to have your position another week or not. For the Customer Support role, it does not seem to matter at all if you provide excellent customer service. The key is trying to read the minds of upper management.

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

If you like living in fear of layoffs, this is the place for you

Feb 11, 2014 - Ad-Ops in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Snacks. Coffee. New decor. The immediate group of people I worked with were OK. Maybe not the most talkative bunch for me, but to each his own.

Cons

I've been sitting on this review I wrote eight months ago, but as I just heard that comScore did ANOTHER round of layoffs (almost exactly a year after I was laid off) I figured it was time to share: The upper-management that runs their ad-ops area should be ashamed of themselves. The company spent a month and a half recruiting me, interviewing me both in person and over the phone. They made me an offer and I accepted. I gave my two weeks at my job and started at comScore the following Monday. At the end of my third week there I looked over to see the girl that I started with putting her things into a box. They had let her go. I was surprised, but what shocked me even more is I was then called into the manager's office where I was greeted by an HR person from the Reston, VA corporate office. That's right, I was let go. Along with about 50 other people across the company. Corporations are well within their rights to employ people for as long or as short as they wish, but their reputation deserves the hit if they pull crap like this. To add to the hilarity, my severance package was worth more than the time I spent there. A couple months later comScore reached out to me to see if I would come back as two people had resigned from the department within a week of each other. I asked for more money or a signing bonus. The recruiter had the audacity to say "if we were to do a bonus it would have to be paid back if you left within a year." I wasn't the one with the commitment issues in this relationship. I later found the meeting minutes from the quarterly shareholders meeting where it was discussed that they would be reducing costs via layoffs. An extremely short-sighted solution to appease investors. Thank God the company I was at before comScore called me up and asked me if I wanted to come back. I accepted that with a promotion and significant increase in pay. This company does not deserve your investment; whether it is as an employee investing in your career, or someone actually foolish enough to buy stock in this outfit.

20 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Go to a real start up

Oct 27, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice computers, nice office, 3 weeks vacation, benefits. Good Pay.

Cons

They always say they are still a small start up. So far from the truth, run like a corporation with a lot of red tape. Try to get you to drink the Kool-Aid. Many very cocky employees with no reason to act in that manner. A lot of good talent is ignored because of seniority or connections to upper management.

4 people found this review helpful