Con Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Con Edison President and CEO John McAvoy
John McAvoy

Pros
Cons
  • You need to do your time if you want a good schedule or to become full time (in 4 reviews)

• And then some kid, gets a sherpa and makes upper management in 2 years (in 3 reviews)

1. "An outdoor job at first, lots of commuting and driving others around"

Former Employee - GOLD Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - GOLD Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Really good experience, exposure, and opportunity for new hires.

If you don't like the rain, sun, and snow, this job will not be for you. There will be office position 1-2 years down the line but they definitely put new guys in supervisor roles outdoors to experience what it's like.

Cons

Rain, sun, and snow. Not for the sensitive.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the young culture out there, that a lot of companies are doing this "feel good vibe" among employees now and that's a good thing. Yes, it's a true a job needs to be done. But let's get rid of the ol' tight lips and manchismo of the salt of the earth union workers politics. We get enough of that from, you know, the literal earth we drill into.

"Senior Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very large company to rise within and great benefits. I had good experience, exposure, and opportunity for new hires.

Cons

Very hard to advance. Need to get really good connection in upper management to advance

3. "Review"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Con Edison part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth , supervisors are pretty understanding

Cons

Sometimes the way things are done is backwards and makes assisting customers a little difficult.

Advice to Management

N/A

4. "Senior Specialist."

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a secure employer.

Cons

GOLD program people and engineers have almost unlimited growth potential. The rest do not. Women and minorities have the advantage leaving non engineering males to limited growth.

Advice to Management

Try to develop more than your GOLD associates into higher positions. Try promoting a person over 50 into a 3 band position.

"not recommend"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a pretty steady job with good benefits, the salary is decent and the work life balance is good compared to other companies.

Cons

A lot of micromanaging. Instead of encouraging people management prefers to intimidate and harass employees. Very unhealthy work environment. Also very political and a lot of discrimination despite the company's policies which seem to be in place to cover up problems rather than solve them.
    Very strict rules about being on time despite the general lack of productivity once at work.

Advice to Management

Restructure and modernize the whole company. Thank politicians for being a monopoly, this Coned wouldn't survive in a free market

6. "It's good and steady"

Current Employee - Operator Mechanic A in Holbrook, NY
    Current Employee - Operator Mechanic A in Holbrook, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GOOD PAY AND HOURS, UNION

Cons

Health care could be better

"Bilingual Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison (Less than a year)

Pros

Union job, but bad representation. Room for growth, but as my English professor told me my senior year in H.S. "It's either who you know or who you blow."

Cons

They hired my group as "part-time" employees until we complete 6 months. They promised us we would work up to 39 hours in the meantime, then we would be converted to full time, which would mean that we would have guaranteed 40 hours + O.T. eligible. 2 weeks before were to make our 6 months, the manager called the whole class into a meeting and told us our hours would be cut to 20 hours per week until further notice.

Advice to Management

Be honest from jump street and don't string along the people who are actually doing the work. You sit in your little cubicles, refuse to assist when help is needed and pass the buck along to your chronies. Nice example of leadership.

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - B Mechanic in New York, NY
    Current Employee - B Mechanic in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security with decent starting pay only to increase after 6 month probation period. 401k and stock options

Cons

Medical benefits are continuing to increase..and some employees have since of entitlement which can disrupt positivity and group morale

Advice to Management

Always remember where you came from

"Sr. Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to change jobs. I have had several different career paths here. It's good to know that your work contributes to the health of New York City.

Cons

Company needs to focus more on personal achievement.. Too much setting on mediocrity. Too bureaucratic. Turns off high achievers.

Advice to Management

Lead by actions not slogans.

"Work somewhere else..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Con Edison part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical, Dental, 401k, no sick time,

Cons

No tuition reimbursement, no stock plan, terrible work hours, unorganized department, Incompetent management

Advice to Management

Employees are disengaged and retention is low due to hiring measures. Paying people for 25 hours in nyc is unrealistic. Hire more people for full time instead of hiring a number of part timers.Everyone gets 40 hours a week during training for 15 weeks. After you are dropped to 25 hours a week at the latest shift 430-11pm. In order to get full time a position has to be open and that goes based on seniority. Sometimes you can be part time friends or 3 years before getting a full time offer. Plus, to apply for another position the process is a hassle. You have get approval from a person two levels hire like a Sr. specialist if you've been with the company less than two years. For union jobs, your only allowed to apply for up to 2 a year. Policies like that is a why employee engagement and retention is so terrible. Also. The company has terrible work/life balance. No sick time because they do everything through fmla but to be eligible you must have worked at least 1250 hours which is difficult to reach when your hours are so minimal. Managers are unhelpful and are more preoccupied with entertaining each other than helping you. They are more concerned with their own personal problems and think the answer to every question is on the company intranet. In all honesty it is really not a pleasant place to work. Company is very unwilling to bend especially if you have kids. Expect to have no social or home life having this job.