Con Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Con Edison Reviews

Updated April 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • You need to do your time if you want a good schedule or to become full time (in 4 reviews)

"Public Affairs"

Current Employee - Webmaster in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Webmaster in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a job where you can skate by, this is it.

Cons

People get promoted and placed in positions based on politics and not merit. It's very cliquey and if you aren't in the clique, you will not get anywhere. No structure. Favoritism is rampant. There was poor leadership and even worse managers that are simply waiting to retire and are no longer invested in their positions.

Advice to Management

Invest in people who care enough about their jobs to change what isn't currently working. Don't just promote the clique and instead promote based on skills and merit.

"It pays the bills !"

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a steady secure job that's it !

Cons

Way too much favoritism and nepotism ! Unless you know somebody or are extremely lucky you will never advance here. No work life balance ! Management stuck in the 1960's

Advice to Management

Stop placing people in positions that have no business being there

"Specialist"

I have been working at Con Edison full-time

Pros

Job security is almost guaranteed, and one of the few companies that still offers a form of a pension plan.

Cons

Low bonus opportunity and promotions are often not accompanied by salary increases. Very few perks outside of free museums entrance.

Advice to Management

Company treats all employees like it does the union employees, which means very strict rules and a lack of trust.

"Bilingual Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison (Less than a year)

Pros

Union job, but bad representation. Room for growth, but as my English professor told me my senior year in H.S. "It's either who you know or who you blow."

Cons

They hired my group as "part-time" employees until we complete 6 months. They promised us we would work up to 39 hours in the meantime, then we would be converted to full time, which would mean that we would have guaranteed 40 hours + O.T. eligible. 2 weeks before were to make our 6 months, the manager called the whole class into a meeting and told us our hours would be cut to 20 hours per week until further notice.

Advice to Management

Be honest from jump street and don't string along the people who are actually doing the work. You sit in your little cubicles, refuse to assist when help is needed and pass the buck along to your chronies. Nice example of leadership.

"not recommend"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a pretty steady job with good benefits, the salary is decent and the work life balance is good compared to other companies.

Cons

A lot of micromanaging. Instead of encouraging people management prefers to intimidate and harass employees. Very unhealthy work environment. Also very political and a lot of discrimination despite the company's policies which seem to be in place to cover up problems rather than solve them.
    Very strict rules about being on time despite the general lack of productivity once at work.

Advice to Management

Restructure and modernize the whole company. Thank politicians for being a monopoly, this Coned wouldn't survive in a free market

7. "The truth about Con Ed"

I worked at Con Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to earn good money.

Cons

Still the good old boys company. A look of clicks and they don't like smart people with degrees that come from the outside. Very cut throat company and has a problem with smart women. No exposure to high levels projects if your smart.

Advice to Management

Focus on holding on to good talent, inside and those that come from the outside. Ensure employees want to work there and not feel threatened about their jobs. B a fair management team,

"a stable job with decent salary"

Current Employee - Junior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Designer in New York, NY

Pros

its a stable job with variety of opportunities to move around within the company. there is a lot of pride within the company. the benefits are great, other than the salary the medical insurance is very good. they also have a discount stock program which i think is a great way to save money and at the same time be concerned about what is going on within the company. this brings up the pride that i have by working here. the people working here are also very friendly and helpful. sometime i wonder what drives people to be so nice to eachother

Cons

there are not many challenging work that are faced by the employees. this is one of the things that i had to get used to, but once i did it was no longer an issue. there's a certain pace at which everything is conducted and if you are on the same level then you will be comfortable working here. even though the work itself isnt very keenly scrutinized other things such as accurate time keeping and such matter are very important. so basically getting to work on time is more important than what i do for the 8 hrs that i spend here.

Advice to Management

retention should be enforced. people move around a lot between positions

"Great job depending on department your in!"

Pros

Once your in the company you can learn a lot if you know what you want to focus on

Cons

Like everyone else said it's not what you know it's who you know if you want to advance in this company. Too many politics within departments if your "not the right fit or the right person for the department" you have a hard way to go to get where you want to go professionally. They say equal opportunity that's b.s the testing for advancement have nothing to do with the job your going for in union jobs. Be careful you are only aloud 3 job postings for a calendar year if you fail a test you cannot retake the test for 6months also if you apply for a different job with the same test you automatically do not qualify for the job and you wasted that posting so be very mindful and sure of what you are posting for plus there is no test prep it's a general aptitude test unless you know people within the company that can "help you pass" so if you've been out of school for some time brush up smh.....applying for management is much different there's no limit on the jobs you can apply for so that's good for those that want to be in management but the hiring process is very hard if you don't know anybody to grease you through in all if your patient and know what you want to do with in this company go for it!

Advice to Management

Be more empathetic with your workers you too was once union unless you came in of the streets and have no experience in the company change the culture and be more open to new ideas stop with that if it ain't broke no need to fix it mentality

"A very stable dinosaur"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stability is number one here. It's a steady job that, at least in my department, allows for a personal life. I have plenty of time off. They compensate well and there are some great benefits (matching 401(k), company stock purchase program, pension (it's not the same but it's still a pension). I work with some great people. There's nothing cut-throat about it.

Cons

Beaucracy. There are endless policies and procedures.

Depending on who you work for, there is sometimes a lack of trust in employees. The idea that I'm not working unless I'm stuck in my chair for 9-10 hours a day is archaic.

Change is almost impossible because the culture is very old-fashioned with an almost military attitude in it's operations.

The motto should be changed from "ON IT" to "IT IS WHAT IT IS". People sometimes seem to go along to get along. Management tends to do whatever upper management wants because they are afraid to stand up to them...perhaps because some of them are exhibit sociopathic behaviors.

Promotions are heavy with cronyism/nepotism. Compensation is not always balanced (underperformers getting the same or better compensation). The Company doesn't utilize it's talent. The candidates are pre-selected in many instances but the HR policies let management get away with it. For every career development position, they step on someone else's career. Promoting people who are not qualified are resented by the people who are qualified.

Advice to Management

The HR department needs a rehaul. Promote talented people into positions that are a good fit for them. Level the playing field...it's common knowledge that the interview process is a joke. Stop sweeping problems under the giant corporate rug. Question what assurances the Ombudsman, the Law Department (Business Ethics and Compliance), and Auditing are really providing. Bring Deirdre Daly back.

"I worked as an administrative assistant on assignment for a senior vice president of strategic planning."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Con Edison has been in business for many years and has a stable hold on the market of providing service in the energy world. They have very clear and understandable corporate hierarchy. There are clear and precise systems in place for who you need to contact for any service within the company.

Cons

As I was working on assignment through an agency, it is difficult to judge compensation but they were providing wage offer to my agency on the low-end. From my observation of other workers they seem to have a good work-life balance but some people seem a little unhappy with having so many additional work roles on top of their already heavy work load.

Advice to Management

Management should be willing to review the dynamics of their departments and hire where help is needed in their respective departments. Also, they should learn to manage their departments without so many meetings for every single issue that comes up. They overload schedules with too many meetings which has to take away from completing daily tasks.