Con Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You need to do your time if you want a good schedule or to become full time (in 4 reviews)

• And then some kid, gets a sherpa and makes upper management in 2 years (in 3 reviews)

"not recommend"

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a pretty steady job with good benefits, the salary is decent and the work life balance is good compared to other companies.

Cons

A lot of micromanaging. Instead of encouraging people management prefers to intimidate and harass employees. Very unhealthy work environment. Also very political and a lot of discrimination despite the company's policies which seem to be in place to cover up problems rather than solve them.
    Very strict rules about being on time despite the general lack of productivity once at work.

Advice to Management

Restructure and modernize the whole company. Thank politicians for being a monopoly, this Coned wouldn't survive in a free market

"Summer Intern"

I worked at Con Edison (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to gain a great deal of hands on experience and witness a lot of on-site action. Was also able to learn a great deal about how the company functions during the heat waves of summer.

Cons

There wasn't a great deal of structure or a clear-cut internship program set up. It was fairly disorganized and there was often times where there was no work to be done.

Advice to Management

Having a more structured internship program with direction and weekly meetings or check-ins could help future interns contribute more.

"csr"

Pros

getting your foot in the door

Cons

too much micro managing going on

4. "It's good and steady"

Current Employee - Operator Mechanic A in Holbrook, NY
    Current Employee - Operator Mechanic A in Holbrook, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GOOD PAY AND HOURS, UNION

Cons

Health care could be better

"Bilingual Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison (Less than a year)

Pros

Union job, but bad representation. Room for growth, but as my English professor told me my senior year in H.S. "It's either who you know or who you blow."

Cons

They hired my group as "part-time" employees until we complete 6 months. They promised us we would work up to 39 hours in the meantime, then we would be converted to full time, which would mean that we would have guaranteed 40 hours + O.T. eligible. 2 weeks before were to make our 6 months, the manager called the whole class into a meeting and told us our hours would be cut to 20 hours per week until further notice.

Advice to Management

Be honest from jump street and don't string along the people who are actually doing the work. You sit in your little cubicles, refuse to assist when help is needed and pass the buck along to your chronies. Nice example of leadership.

"Good company slow decision"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Con Edison full-time

Pros

Good company to start of with. Great people to learn from. Steady pay check. No layoffs very few people fired. Benefits at par with other companies.

Cons

There is a General level of discontent among employees of why few people in the company receive special treatment. There is red tape on decisions with minimal appetite for risk.

Advice to Management

Reduce red tape, promote calculated risk taking, don't be too dependent on policies , encourage everyone not just the few chosen ones.

"Work somewhere else..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Con Edison part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical, Dental, 401k, no sick time,

Cons

No tuition reimbursement, no stock plan, terrible work hours, unorganized department, Incompetent management

Advice to Management

Employees are disengaged and retention is low due to hiring measures. Paying people for 25 hours in nyc is unrealistic. Hire more people for full time instead of hiring a number of part timers.Everyone gets 40 hours a week during training for 15 weeks. After you are dropped to 25 hours a week at the latest shift 430-11pm. In order to get full time a position has to be open and that goes based on seniority. Sometimes you can be part time friends or 3 years before getting a full time offer. Plus, to apply for another position the process is a hassle. You have get approval from a person two levels hire like a Sr. specialist if you've been with the company less than two years. For union jobs, your only allowed to apply for up to 2 a year. Policies like that is a why employee engagement and retention is so terrible. Also. The company has terrible work/life balance. No sick time because they do everything through fmla but to be eligible you must have worked at least 1250 hours which is difficult to reach when your hours are so minimal. Managers are unhelpful and are more preoccupied with entertaining each other than helping you. They are more concerned with their own personal problems and think the answer to every question is on the company intranet. In all honesty it is really not a pleasant place to work. Company is very unwilling to bend especially if you have kids. Expect to have no social or home life having this job.

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - B Mechanic in New York, NY
    Current Employee - B Mechanic in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security with decent starting pay only to increase after 6 month probation period. 401k and stock options

Cons

Medical benefits are continuing to increase..and some employees have since of entitlement which can disrupt positivity and group morale

Advice to Management

Always remember where you came from

"Sr. Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to change jobs. I have had several different career paths here. It's good to know that your work contributes to the health of New York City.

Cons

Company needs to focus more on personal achievement.. Too much setting on mediocrity. Too bureaucratic. Turns off high achievers.

Advice to Management

Lead by actions not slogans.

10. "Overall Positive Experience"

Former Employee - Public Affairs Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Affairs Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison full-time

Pros

Great company, great employees. Has shown a real commitment to advancing women to upper management roles.

Cons

Union involvement makes it easy to get away with a lot, and hard to compensate people for hard work. Extremely hard organization to make change. Very little focus on poor managers who continue to drive away employees.

Advice to Management

Work harder to adapt to changing environment, push managers to focus on employees, or you'll continue to lose young talent.