Con-way Freight Reviews | Glassdoor

Con-way Freight Reviews

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bradley S. Jacobs

Pros
  • Fun and profesional people and good pay (in 56 reviews)

• pay is good fairly good benefits good vacation policy I just cant say enough good about this company (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours also you will have to work the dock on a consistent basis due to the fact that they don't have that many dock workers (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management ONLY worries about the bottom line (in 15 reviews)

1. "Dock worker"

Former Employee - Dock Worker in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in West Chester, OH

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time

Pros

Place is a joke now it is xpo u fire the good workers and keep the lazy ones who call off 3 of the 5 day's every week xpo will run it into the ground its a matter of time.

Cons

Joke joke joke was way better company whe. It was con way

"OTR Driver"

Former Employee - Interstate Commercial Driver in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Interstate Commercial Driver in Joplin, MO

Pros

Weekly pay was nice but mileage fluctuated badly. The trucks broke down every third drop.

Cons

corporately soulless, it took 3 weeks to route me to a dentist, I had to use gasoline as mouthwash to function. Just so the company could get every mile out of me I was 24/7 scale of 10 pain. At DR I had 2 wisdom teeth extracted. Its a good thing my D.O.T. physical was don't at same time at another location. Mine was expired or else routing might of taken longer.

Advice to Management

They're soulless.

3. "Wow."

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Pontiac, MI

Pros

I really can't think of one

Cons

Not protected from the elements enough, Winters are extremely cold, no baffles to protect you from the wind and rain, if it snows, the snow, ice will blow in through the openings between the trailers and dock doors , the winters are brutal and you are still expected to somehow keep up a pace when your fingers are ready to fall off from cold! You have to use the exhaust from the forklifts to try and keep warm. Also when the smooth concrete floor gets icy or wet, you HAVE to move at a snail's pace because the tires are as slick as racing tires, no grip at all

Summers

Advice to Management

LISTEN to employees and get with shippers that try to send pipes that roll and you cannot get under them with a forklift!

4. "driver"

Former Employee - Driver Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Driver Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time

Pros

great pay rate and benefits

Cons

Awful place to work, management does not know anything about the freight business most of them are fresh out of college. They do not value experience and seniority instead they encourage brown nosing and tattle telling. They force drivers to do things that are unsafe. They hire cheap labor to load the freight, which frequently leads to top heavy and unbalanced trailers. Then force the drivers take the loads with out any knowledge of how there trailers are loaded, yet you are fired if you flip a trailer. They treat employees with no respect and wont allow time off for family emergencies. If you need to get off work on time for an appointment, they add extra stops to your pedal and tell you to work faster. Most of the supervisors enjoy making others unhappy, they would rather make fun of your mistakes than help you correct them. Employees are not encouraged to work as a team, it's everyone for their self.This is very hostile working environment.

Advice to Management

Hire experience people. The working environment could be pleasant and enjoyable, it doesn't have to be horrible. You should honor seniority and experience which would discourage brown nosing and tattle telling. You should train employees how to load freight properly not to put heavy load freight and drums on the racks. Allow drivers to check their trailers before leaving the dock and make adjustments if needed after all they are the ones pulling the trailers. Most of all you should treat your employees with respect, they who make your job possible.

5. "Linehaul driver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bismarck, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bismarck, ND

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Overall not a bad place to work.

Cons

So focused on the little things that management forgot what we were here to do.

Advice to Management

Look at the big picture.

6. "Sr. QA Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Con-way Freight (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and allowed to work from home

Cons

Terrible management that mainly hid in their offices or went on lengthy trips

Advice to Management

wise up

7. "You'd better be desperate...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get two days off for Thanksgiving.

Cons

They are all talk, no action. Safety and quality are supposed to be priority. When it comes down to it, they won't even ensure their employees are safe in their own parking lot. They don't care about quality.... they want numbers! Pay and health insurance is minimal.

Advice to Management

Your employees are the ones that actually keep everything afloat. Show some appreciation, other than the token appreciation of occasional donuts, ice cream and pizza for a building full of diabetics.

8. "Only work here if you need to obtain your CDL"

Former Employee - CDL Driver in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - CDL Driver in Aurora, IL

I worked at Con-way Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great school training for obtaining your CDL

Cons

Long hours terrible pay

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from. Take batter care of drivers.

9. "Worst run company i have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Night Linehaul Driver in Cheyenne, WY
    Current Employee - Night Linehaul Driver in Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at Con-way Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I havnt seen a pro yet. Pay is so so, not enough hours. Equipment is old and weak. Invest in the workers and the company.

Cons

I am a linehaul driver at night. Spend more time being called to stay home then i have worked. Horrible pay structure. Linehaul runs the company but doesnt even know the buisness. I will be quitting and not looking back at this poorly run company

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a buisness. Stop pinching pennies. Other companies are running strong while you stagnate

10. "fos"

Current Employee - Freight Operations Supervisor in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Freight Operations Supervisor in Racine, WI

I have been working at Con-way Freight (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule is ok. It's not an ideal atomosphere

Cons

Mega micromanaged, cut throat organization

Advice to Management

Grow up, be ethical, humilty is key