Conagra Brands Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Intern

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sean Connolly

Pros
  • Work/life balance is challenging at times, but I'm optimistic that it will get better (in 76 reviews)

• Its a realy good process facility good pay (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is also much talked about, but is remains a problem (in 25 reviews)

• The company is in a different path now with the new CEO (in 32 reviews)

1. "IT Internship"

I worked at Conagra Brands as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Interns were well respected at ConAgra and had access to consistent mentorship and guidance. I got to work on a couple meaningful projects, which gave me the skills I needed to land my full time position. There were also tons of extracurriculars that gave me better insight into the business and the industry that I really appreciated.

Cons

There was not a lot of structure around the switching of roles. I worked one role for 7 months, and the next only for 3. These switches happened at different times for different interns too, so people were always joining and leaving teams, which was a bit disorienting.

Advice to Management

I would recommend management to give the interns more ownership and visibility into the role selection process. And I would recommend that offers for full time positions go out earlier, before the interns get antsy and look around for (or accept) other jobs.

2. "6 year Internship"

Current Intern - Intern in Oakdale, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Oakdale, CA

I have been working at Conagra Brands as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

Seasonal with a TON of hours! Good way to save because you'll have no life and therefore no time to spend frivolously. Lots of training, because they'll place you in any department that's running short.

Cons

It's really hard to move up. Seems like it's almost impossible unless you know someone higher up.

3. "IT Intern"

I worked at Conagra Brands as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were extremely helpful and honest about the workload and the company's performance.

Cons

The company culture is non-existent. The IT department was housed in a depressing, dimly-lit building filled with high-walled cubicles. There was no communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees and be honest about impending changes within the company (i.e. release an internal statement before you announce a departure from a city's headquarters). Also, Sean Connolly's thinly-veiled attempt at making full-time employees think that they would retain their jobs via WebEx was difficult to watch.

5. "Supply Chain Intern"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Naperville, IL

I worked at Conagra Brands (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong Community...feels like a family.

Cons

A lot of transition and uncertainty recently.

6. "Was a great intern program"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Omaha, NE
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Omaha, NE

I worked at Conagra Brands as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot and enjoyed the company!

Cons

They ended the program and fired all the employees...

Advice to Management

Don't move to Chicago so much...

7. "Crazy time to be at ConAgra"

Former Employee - Intern in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Naperville, IL

Pros

GREAT intern program; Paid extremely well, paid for frequent travel to Omaha - hotel, flight, food; Office culture was a little boring, but the summer I was there was extremely interesting; new CEO; C-suite changes seemingly ever 2 weeks; restructuring of company was very interesting to get an inside perspective of as an intern

Cons

Traditional "cubicle culture"
    Unhealthy food, but what can ya do
    Unstable during company restructuring
    Lack of direction from managers, but that may have been a result of unstable times

"Major outsourcing of IT"

I worked at Conagra Brands as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

ConAgra Foods used to offer a broad, challenging, and rewarding IT internship program. Hourly pay was highly competitive for college students. Hours were very flexible during the school year and there was the ability to work 40 hours during the summer. Management and full-time employees provided career-advancing mentorship. There were several opportunities to learn about the business and the food industry, not just IT services and support. Upon completing college, there was the ability to become a full-time, salaried employee.

Cons

The new CEO, Sean Connolly, and the revised board of directors have decided to implement a zero-based budgeting system that led to the outsourcing of departments like IT. The IT internship program was swiftly eliminated. Upon leaving the company, I was told that an estimated 90% of IT was to be outsourced. Simply put, it's likely that this lovely internship will never exist with this company again. Career prospects in IT at ConAgra are practically nonexistent.

Due to these drastic changes, employee morale was extremely low upon leaving the company.

Potential employees should be concerned with job security before accepting a position in almost any department with this company. Mr. Connolly's turn as CEO of Hillshire Brands leads to speculation that ConAgra could easily be sold off to another food company within the next couple of years; even if Connolly's already implemented changes prove successful.

Mr. Connolly has made it abundantly clear in memos and press releases that driving shareholder value should be put far ahead or making a good company that values employees.

Advice to Management

While it makes sense for executive-level leadership to make every effort to save an ailing company, jumping into a zero-based budgeting and eliminating a large number of positions comes across as a little drastic and poorly thought out. It feels like these decisions were made simply because entities like 3G Capital have implemented similar measures. Why not examine what would be best for ConAgra Foods as its own company rather than jump straight onto the bandwagon of other food companies?

From an IT perspective, it is highly unlikely that the future Conagra Brands can expect IT services and innovations that were as reliable and quick as having an in-house IT staff. The new outsourced contractors will be balancing several different companies and Conagra will not always be their number one priority.

9. "Team Lead Intern"

Former Intern - Team Lead Intern in Omaha, NE
    Former Intern - Team Lead Intern in Omaha, NE

I worked at Conagra Brands as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to present an improvement project to corporate at end of internship.
    Company paid moving expenses.
    Having supervisory experience on resume opened many doors afterward.
    Weekends usually off if production needs met.

Cons

Lack of training/mentorship during internship
    On call 24 hours, there was 1 supervisor for 3 shifts.
    Union employees have been burned by management in past, difficulty lending a hand for anything outside job description. e.g. pushing a broom in another department.

Advice to Management

millennials understand that we need to pay our dues, but management needs to keep an eye on employee burnout. Supervisors that haven't used vacation all year and are on call 24hrs wont be productive forever.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - IT Intern in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Omaha, NE

Pros

The atmosphere is really good friendly people willing to help !

Cons

None Cons for me !

11. "Really great internship program"

Former Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Intern - Supply Chain Intern in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Conagra Brands as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You have a lot of visibility and interaction with higher execs. They also place a high level of importance on networking with other current interns. It was really nice living in Omaha and getting to know the other interns.

Cons

Went through a CEO change while I was there and no interns were extended offers.