Conagra Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 10, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sean Connolly

Pros
  • Work/life balance is challenging at times, but I'm optimistic that it will get better (in 76 reviews)

• Its a realy good process facility good pay (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is also much talked about, but is remains a problem (in 25 reviews)

• The company is in a different path now with the new CEO (in 32 reviews)

"HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sadly, I can't think of any post CEO change

Cons

Depressing place to be with all the dismantling of anything to do with developing the people, diversity or inclusion. They went from a culture of development and investment to a 'you are on your own' approach.

Advice to Management

Short term gains don't always pan out in the long run. Slashing jobs and programs to pay for the relocation of HQ to Chicago seems short sighted and self serving by a CEO who lives in Chicago.

"Not very strategic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conagra Brands (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people, most came from other companies, very few with more than 5 years at ConAgra.

Cons

Leadership not very strategic, nor were they very good at collaboration.

Advice to Management

Need to sell many under performing brands

"Sad, Sad, Sad"

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conagra Brands (More than 8 years)

Pros

Downtown location, gives us the big city feel. great for lunch and happy hours. Good people... but sad to see good people struggling under poor management.

Cons

It's sad what has happened to the culture . I moved downtown to fix my commute, but I can't believe what happens here every day. People don't know what to do to fix the business, and are just "faking it" for the shareholders. It seems clear that the strategy is to sell, once they milk the company for all the PERKS that the big boys in the corner offices are giving themselves.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and be done with it. It's clear that CEO cannot fix it. Soon enough, there won't be anymore dust to kick up and hide the financials of a company under collapse. It feels like the plan is to sell... Please just do it already, and let us get on with our lives.

"Stay away from HQ office"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great time working on the customer team I was originally hired for. The field employees are amazing and I learned a lot in the limited time I spent with them. Too bad they cut those teams drastically to save a buck, those were the people that were getting things done.

At least the severance packages are generous

Cons

Moving to the HQ office was the worst mistake of my career. They kept the wrong people in the brand and insights functions while doing layoffs in 2015.
    Many of the Omaha brand folks still haven't gotten over the fact that they had to move to keep their jobs and question the ability of anyone that they haven't worked with for multiple years. They also don't care about facts and trends if it doesn't support what they want to do, and could care less about a retail buyers opinion, despite the fact that they can't get their products into distribution without that buy-in.
    The leadership team is the good old boys club with no diversity and probably no diverse thought.
    The "chief growth officer" lies about how many years he spent with previous companies, which means he's probably lying or "rounding up" on his achievements as well.
    The 3G model is not proven, yet the CEO jumped on that bandwagon to make a profit.
    Rumor has it that the CEO has a huge financial incentive comping his way if he dismantles the company similar to the way he did with Sara Lee.
    Certain leadership let some great employees on a customer team take the the fall for things they were doing and forced them out.
    No one in brand pays attention to the brand priority that was given by senior leadership. Low priority brands are still taking up way too much time for people that should be focused on other projects.
    I saw someone else say it was hard to get a seat at the table with brand folks when they're supporting a customer....brand failed to invite their own support insight people to meetings half the time, then get mad when they didn't know what had been discussed.

Advice to Management

Do what you actually say your going to do and invest in things that make sense - stop with all the ridiculous cost cutting. Have conversations with employees and make changes to retain them - there's a reason so many folks have jumped ship since the reorg, and it has nothing to do with a commute or lack of dedication.

"Political snakepit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loved the people - below executive leadership. Target-rich environment with loads of opportunities for improvement for someone who wants to roll up their sleeves.

Cons

Politics were horrible - especially regarding several senior leaders. Focus seemed to be more on currying favor vs. getting results. Those who focused on results were often demonized and ostracized.

Advice to Management

Complete the purge of the old guard. You just got started in the past two years. Recognize that there are "legacy" employees who have something to contribute.

"Finance Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Conagra Brands (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros to speak of.

Cons

Heartless CEO that cares only about his personal wants.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO.

"Avoid this Place, Train Wreck in progress"

Former Employee - Helper in Oakdale, CA
    Former Employee - Helper in Oakdale, CA

I worked at Conagra Brands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The floor people that actually run the plant and have been there for 15-45 years. They are committed to working together and do their jobs. Old school hard working people, no issues with absetism or insubordiation. Supervisors were great!

Cons

Supervisors can't communicate to employees and are racistist in their jokes. Incompetent managers that sit in their office all day. No management or course at all. High turnover rate 1 yrs make it hard to work. The place is braking down all the time...they get their recipes wrong and have to throw away a lot, sanitation is bad...rumors in the last year this plant not going to remain open much longer...many have jumped ship including upper managers.

Advice to Management

appriciate the workers.

"A Complete Distater"

Current Employee - Marketing in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Marketing in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people on the front lines who are still here are great.

Cons

This once-great organization has been reduced to a sad shell of an company in the short time the new CEO has been here. A vibrant culture has been replaced with an all-time low morale where the good people (who are still around) have completely checked out. The new vision, mission, and strategy, ‘The Conagra Way’, is a collection of hollow (albeit trendy) business jargon that was crafted in the executive suite with zero input or buy-in from those who know and run the business. As intense cost cutting measures grow, what is left of the culture will continue to deteriorate.

Nobody (including the analyst community) seems to understand the rationale behind some of the recent changes. When asked about them, the response has been that ‘it just makes business sense’. If the overarching objective is to dismantle the organization, then I suppose it does make sense....

Advice to Management

Sean: We all agree that change is necessary for ConAgra Foods to succeed. We are in a very competitive industry, yet have no discernible competitive advantage. Simply adopting the 3G model and applying it to this business is not a viable strategy. Take the time to learn about the business then develop a strategy that plays to our strengths.

"Qa"

Former Employee - Quality Coordinator in Buckner, KY
    Former Employee - Quality Coordinator in Buckner, KY

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great amount of vacation time and good benefits.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, lying management and a HORRIBLE CEO

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO he destroyed that company the day you allowed him to take over.

"Procurement"

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Conagra Brands (More than a year)

Pros

Great if your under 30 years ild

Cons

Age discrimination. All promotions in procurement in the last 6 months have all been girls under 30 years old. Don't care about experience. Care how good the person looks next to the VPs

Advice to Management

Stop discriminating