Conagra Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Conagra Brands Reviews

Updated May 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Conagra offers a great work/life balance and gives you the opportunity to really affect change (in 78 reviews)

• Its a realy good process facility good pay (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is also much talked about, but is remains a problem (in 25 reviews)

• The company is in a different path now with the new CEO (in 32 reviews)

"Qa"

Former Employee - Quality Coordinator in Buckner, KY
    Former Employee - Quality Coordinator in Buckner, KY

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great amount of vacation time and good benefits.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, lying management and a HORRIBLE CEO

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO he destroyed that company the day you allowed him to take over.

"Procurement"

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Conagra Brands (More than a year)

Pros

Great if your under 30 years ild

Cons

Age discrimination. All promotions in procurement in the last 6 months have all been girls under 30 years old. Don't care about experience. Care how good the person looks next to the VPs

Advice to Management

Stop discriminating

"Insider perspective"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, well known brands, new modern office

Cons

Unfortunate, but necessary, move from Omaha to Chicago

Advice to Management

Walk around more and get to know your people.

"Was a good company to work for . . ."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people who actually do the work are good people.

Cons

New executive management has forgotten about the value of employees and can no longer be trusted.

Advice to Management

Work on becoming a once-again trustworthy business.

"Mixed bag at CAG"

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great people who are down to earth, little office politics, generally good work/life balance, food that tastes better than you might expect

Cons

1) Inconsistent in promotion practices

2) Absurd focus on cost-cutting when Wall Street has indicated that they are indifferent to it (CAG has one of the lowest SG&A rates within CPG industry)

3) Hypocrisy about high ethical standards when everyone knows that a brand president had an affair with HR rep who kept getting promoted. Also they rescinded multiple ABM offers during the summer (when offers had been extended and accepted during the winter).

4) Pushes too much decision making to the top

5) Lower compensation than peer companies

6) Willingness to tolerate leaders who are bullies and micromanagers

Advice to Management

1) Actually make sure that you are promoting the right people.

2) Develop and reward good people managers. These people are critical.

3) Change your compensation structure. If you want to pay low salaries, then you need higher bonuses.

4) Actually clean house and take action on the known ethical violations. Keeping them there just makes people distrust ethical commitment.

5) Push decision making down. Believe it or not, but the people who work for you are closer to the business.

6) Stop being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Let people spend time growing the business, not worrying about micro-managing absurdly small SG&A budgets.

7) Stop moving the target. "Everything will be figured out when we reorganize." "Everything will be figured out when we get brand segmentation." "Everything will be figured out when we move to the new office."

"CAG is making the right moves for the future"

Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conagra Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for a few months and was hired to replace an employee who did not want to relocate from Omaha to Chicago as part of the restructuring. So far, my experience has been largely positive. There is a great energy at the Chicago office. (which is brand new and very nice) There are lots of other new employees and we are all working together to get up to speed. I am very optimistic that our leaders are willing to make the tough choices to set the business in the right direction. The pay is in line with the market and the benefits are fantastic. Work/life balance is challenging at times, but I'm optimistic that it will get better.

Cons

The experience for employees based in Omaha is quite different. Morale is understandably lower there given the lay-offs and move of the headquarters. Working with people in that office can be challenging given the circumstances.

All employees need to get comfortable in an environment that changes more frequently than it did in the past. The reality is that isn't what most of the Omaha employees I've encountered are comfortable with.

Advice to Management

After the dust settles from the restructuring, deliver on the promises that are being made to invest in the future.

"Was a good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

There are some advancement opportunities; great co-workers

Cons

Got too big for their britches, and bought up too much. This caused a lot of terminations due to staff reduction. If you were older, still on the pension program, and dedicated, you got cut!

Advice to Management

Put yourself in the place of your workers, and not the $9.95million you got for displacing all of them! They were dedicated employees that wanted to see CAG succeed and were willing to complete their careers there.... You sold out for young and inexperienced. Shame on you!

"Great Brands but Unknown Future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are want to learn about marketing food, this is a good place to start. The brand's cover many categories in grocery and mass. If you work on a focus brand, you will learn a lot.

Cons

The new ConAgra cares about two things: driving shareholder value and cronyism. It does not value employees or culture. It does not value the food it makes. When Sean took over, he said he was going to get rid of management layers, to push the decision-making down. What he meant was that he was going to bring in new management layers who would help him clean house. The money to move from Omaha and Naperville to downtown Chicago must have been staggering, and it could have saved many jobs. But he only cares about his trusted inner circle. How many "Chief" officers were brought in? The company eliminated good qualified people, but then moved others from across the country to fill these positions. Why? They were white men. It's a modern day "Emperor's New Clothes" where all the yes-men are around and the people who invested their time and energy were let go.

Advice to Management

A company is more than a balance sheet. Changes were needed, but the people who created the mess kept their jobs while others who actually did the work were eliminated. While integrity was touted as a key value, the company did not act with integrity. People and company culture are important.

10. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Conagra Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management team is easy to work with

Cons

Priority is always towards numbers, quality comes second. Benefits are expensive.

"Worst employer I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Conagra Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with. The work was fun when I first started at the company.

Cons

I worked for the company 5 years and survived 3 major layoffs. The last major layoff that occurred left our team of 8 with just 2 people. (myself and one other) The work was not prioritized and we were told to just figure it out. It was hell.