Concept Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Concept Schools Reviews

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Wonderful training and opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

This company is run by caring people that work hard and want the best for the students they educate. If a teacher is not working up to par - they are let go during the year (if it is really bad) or not given a contract the next year. There are more and more opportunities for teachers to move up the ladder of responsibilities and the salaries are also getting better - based on performance with bonuses. New and innovative ideas are welcome and encouraged when data shows it works.

Cons

It doesn't surprise me it there are unhappy former employees - it means they were not up to par and they are trying to blame the company. They often lose good teachers to higher pay elsewhere because charter schools receive less funding than public schools.

Advice to Management

Keep working on the salaries - to keep the good teachers. Keep caring about your teachers/staff and your students more than the bottom line.

"The Most Dishonest Company I've Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Instructor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Instructor in Columbus, OH

Pros

The students. And, it's experience. Literally nothing else good to say.

Cons

Very shady money management goes on here. There was not enough resources for students to use, yet they kept wasting money on frivolous purchases.
    No raises for teachers and expensive benefits.
    I earned a bonus, but have been denied the payout due to not renewing a contract - even though I put in hard work and the effectiveness bonus was for the current school year I taught.
    Severe lack of communication within the schools.
    Extremely long work hours - made even worse by the fact I was given one free period for the whole day. Teachers are often bullied into sacrificing their weekends to this school in addition to being forced to work 12 hour days for conferences. Be prepared to give up any social life you may have had if you choose to work here.
    Administration constantly changes the expectations for students - they do not treat all students equally when it comes to discipline.
    Severe lack of guidance for new teachers. When you go in, expect to be all on your own - nobody else within the buildings will be willing to help you.
    Concept markets their schools as STEM focused, but they are anything but.
    Turkish teachers seem to get more perks - unlimited photocopies, resources, etc.
    I would like to know why there is always a teaching position reserved for the Principal's wife at this school, yet you deny contract renewals to many other great teachers.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your staff with the dignity and equality they deserve.
    Maybe look into being honest with where all of the money is going.
    Stop trying to market the schools as something they are not. Students also deserve to be treated with honesty and respect.

"I was a teacher in the organization."

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Chicago, IL

I worked at Concept Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were great opportunities to meet people from around the world and share ideas. Sometimes the food served at professional development was not too bad.

Cons

Unless you are Turkish or completely inept, there is no way one can move up the ladder in this organization. This organization is wonderful at selling itself, but that is about it. If you enjoy having your child used as a prop in a media campaign, then by all means send your child one one of Concepts fine schools.

Advice to Management

Face up to the facts that you are exploiting American taxpayers and their children to fuel your religious movement. Quit denying it and be truthful to the people you are taking advantage of.

"Concept Schools is a different kind of education company..."

I have been working at Concept Schools full-time

Pros

Concept Schools was created by scientists, engineers, computer technologists and mathematicians, so the first great things is decisions are data-driven and innovation is encouraged most of the time. If an idea is sound, it gets heard. Parent and community relationships are highly valued. I have not experienced this in other institutions.

Cons

Innovation is encouraged, but there is much hesitancy around taking risks. There is NO innovation without risk. There is so much potential, but it gets stymied by fear in senior management. The hope is that while growth is slow sometimes re: ideas....there is still evolution and progress.

Advice to Management

Diversify the staff more and embrace addressing inequities in education and edcuation leadership. Providing quality education is great (STEM), but not enough

5. "Teacher"

I have been working at Concept Schools full-time

Pros

Students are good. Diverse population of students. Not many good things about this business that operates a school. Businesses should not operate schools.

Cons

Poor management, lack of diversity in staff, staff does not represent the student population, focus on robotics club which is s very small amount of students, poor pay, FBI investigation pending, poor leadership, poor social services, poor facilities.

Advice to Management

Transparency and take the necessary action when needed against poor employees

6. "Software Developer Intern"

Pros

Small team so that you get a lot of work and a complete experience. Seniors are very friendly and very kind to sit and explain us on whatever doubt we ask. I got an experience to see all phases of a software application.

Cons

Moderate Pay. No other cons that I can think of.

7. "Good"

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

8. "Nice Workplace"

Pros

There are a lot of opportunity to grow and great co workers

Cons

The pay for the skills of the employees are not enough