Concur Reviews | Glassdoor

Concur President Mike Eberhard
Mike Eberhard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is suffering in the last year or so (in 18 reviews)

• Uncertainty around effects of SAP acquisition (in 20 reviews)

1. "Best Culture of any Fast Growing Innovative Tech Company!"

I have been working at Concur full-time

Pros

The culture, the people, the work. We are a big company but still act like a start up at times. Everyone at all levels is willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. The opportunities to make an impact are endless. You can feel the passion across the business for people that are driven to do the 'right thing' for our customers and our business.

Cons

We move so fast that sometimes we get caught up in the silos within our own Departments. Trying to solve for the same company-wide problems with resources on our own teams vs. looking more holistically at what needs to be done across the business and then solving it with shared resources & clear roles & responsibilities to deliver. We are definitely making improvements in cross-Dept collaboration but it's still a WIP to get the business ALL aligned when moving forward so quickly.

Advice to Management

Hold accountability across the Sr. Leadership team to work cross-functionally to solve some of the biggest challenges and drive new opportunities.

2. "Love this place!"

I have been working at Concur full-time

Pros

I've been with Concur for over 5 years and love my job! The people are amazing, the culture is fun, and I always feel valued.

Cons

Raises are not competitive; based off research on Glassdoor, I could make more money in my same role at another comparable company.

3. "Great company - Tons of Pros. Biggest Con - raises aren't talkworthy."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Concur is great company fill of awesome people with leaders who encourage and cultivate innovation.
    They try to keep a transparent with changes and how decisions are made and why.
    Good work / life balance.

Cons

The raises are a little lacking. Difficult to stay financially competitive over moving to another company.

Advice to Management

Review how raises are given in the non-sales org.

4. "SR SDET"

Current Employee - SDET2 in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - SDET2 in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great

Cons

No scope for technical growth

5. "Company has gone downhill."

I worked at Concur full-time

Pros

Concur has a wonderful product and offers good vacation benefits.

Cons

This place has changed a lot over the past couple years. Today many departments are a cluster of mismanagement and silos. There are a lot of politics and people in executive roles who should not be in those roles. Employee success is impossible if you land in a department where there is no support from upper management. The culture and values have changed since the SAP acquisition.

Advice to Management

Get organized and clean house. The Microsoft culture has taken over Concur.

"Corporate Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance and some wonderful people

Cons

disorganized, too many people in upper-management, too few people executing on given tasks

Advice to Management

Seems like Concur grew too fast. I heard great things about the company and was excited to join but was not set up for success. There was too much turnover and not enough direction. I felt like there were a lot of lazy people with opinions who made it difficult for the people who were actually doing work.

This was the worst place I ever worked! Hopefully, the company can get their act together.

"Market Development Representative"

I worked at Concur full-time

Pros

Concur is a fantastic company with a spectacular product. It was fun to sell a product that had such a positive impact on the building. They always plan fun events and keep things lighthearted when the company is doing well.

Also, the people working at Concur are outgoing, smart and made going to work enjoyable. The do a new job hiring the best of the best, which was a result of a lengthy interview process.

Cons

There are many cons that far outweigh the pros....

First and foremost, the management's micromanaging style is not only a deterrent to the business productivity, but it also is the reason for their inability to retain top talent. They create unrealistic metrics that can only be reached by "luck" in my opinion. If you have a nice sales rep that counts your meetings, you hit your metrics. If you have "hot states", you hit your metrics. There are too many factors going against the MDRs (Market Development Reps), and the high stakes of this mentally exhausting job make the best candidates for future sales reps hate and detest the job and moreover the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

The worst part of this whole thing is that the management absolutely throttles you if you do not hit their unrealistic expectations, blaming the MDRs on their efforts rather than on the situations that are out of their control. We receive the same training, scripting and coaching, don't we?

As humans, we all have favorites. We completely get that you should have your favorite, ideal employees. This being said, management at Concur really takes this to the next level. They have their favorites, and if you are not a favorite, you are ignored. Not hated but ignored. It is much worse in my opinion. That creates an environment of complacency, which ultimately leads to carelessness. If you don't put the time in energy into us, why should we help you? It is crucial to never let your employees be ignored in order to boost up the egos of your top performers. Because before you know it, your favorites will move up in the company and then those less favorite employees will already be onto their next job where they are more appreciated and welcomed.

Finally, it is important for management to recognize, hitting the goal is 100%. Everything over this is nice, but it is not necessary. As someone who did hit 100%, it was never enough. I understand that it creates the mindset that pushing above and beyond goals creates even more revenue and success. But it once again, makes employees complacent. "Oh, I hit 80%, who cares because even if I get 100%, it won't ever be enough for them." This makes for an emotionally draining job and a disappointing team of MDRs.

Appreciate your employees! Because if you don't, they won't appreciate Concur.

"Concur is not what it used to be."

I worked at Concur (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great product solution. Good pay and benefits. Good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

All the key, respected leaders have left the company. Those you have now taken the reigns do not know how to lead or preserve the culture. Company has become "every man/woman for themselves." Environment has become very political.

Advice to Management

Overhall the sales leadership team.

9. "TSM"

Pros

Culture is as can be expected

Cons

Way below rate for software sales comp plan

"Not what they say it is"

I worked at Concur full-time

Pros

Work life balance by far. You can come in whenever you want and it's a ghost town after 430. The lights literally shut off at 530!

Cons

Their tech is a mess and the talent that is left (A LOT of people left and went to Accolade) is just legacy in thought and knowledge. The engineering leadership is VERY weak and it makes you feel bad for the CTO. They might sell you on a big picture, but they are known around for baiting and switching and you'll be unique if you get to work on what they sell you on (or it's at best a portion of it). Pay is also very weak, but they know that and just sell on culture.

Advice to Management

Time to clean house in your engineering leadership and greenfield the right way, or listen to the good people that have come in (and left). Pushing out smart people is sad and only makes things worse!