Concur Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Concur CEO Steve Singh
Steve Singh

Pros
Cons
  • Can be difficult to have work/life balance depending on your role (in 18 reviews)

• SAP acquisition has some of the staff uncertain of the future (in 16 reviews)

"The Ultimate Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Market Development Representative
    Former Employee - Market Development Representative

I worked at Concur full-time

Pros

Decent PTO. Other areas of the company are still intact.

Cons

The MDR department has rapidly gone into a downward spiral since a recent transformation. This transformation and unsuitable leadership has taken what use to be a group of hardworking professionals and turned them into unhappy cold calling robots. Although the world knows cold calling is dead, Concur must have missed the memo, since the leadership relentlessly shoves it down your throat. If you have an sort of education or self worth for that matter, avoid this role! In a saturated market like Seattle, there is no reason to do such a painful and unfulfilling job.

The deadly combination of the MDR transformation and the terrible leadership that is behind it, has without a doubt ruined the department and traumatized the employees. Normally I would not post a review of this nature, however I most certainly do not want other to encounter this type of experience.

Advice to Management

Advice to management has already been given several times and ignored.

"Market Development Robots"

Current Employee - Market Development Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Market Development Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Concur full-time

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this role, and the direction that this department is it going in, now. When I started that was a much different story but the new management has made that irrelevant.

Concur as a company has an incredible culture, a fun work environment and awesome PTO. The Market Development department has completely derailed from all of the good that Concur has to offer.

Cons

Those that have been around for more than a few months know that Market Development was an incredible place to grow your career, learn the business and critically think about new ways to get in with prospects and try new methods. Under new management, Market Development is very quickly turning into a call center. Their intent is to turn this into a "brainless" role where we come in, hit a go button on a machine that auto-dials for you, then finally get to go home after you've hit your required amount of time for the day. They have removed every other aspect of the job that we all enjoyed the most, leaving bombarding prospects with multiple calls a day, to be the only thing left. If you have a college degree, or like to use your brain at any time throughout the work day, this role is not for you.

In addition, the new management is degrading, extremely micro managing and you are a nobody to them unless you're drinking the Kool-Aid and pretending to love the new brainless robotic model of the role. Don't try to speak up or give your opinion because it will be wrong. Just sit in your chair on your auto-dialer and keep your mouth shut pretending to be happy.

Again, any other position within Concur you are likely going to be happy. The culture, management and employee morale is top notch. Just steer clear of Market Development!!!

Advice to Management

Your employees are extremely unhappy! Morale within the department is at an all time low and turnover is at an all time high. Please open your eyes to this and don't just accept the fact that the turnover that is happening is for the weak. The turnover that is happening is from best talent on the team that take their career development seriously.

If you find that Concur needs a role like this, start a new department and level set that you will be doing a brainless robotic job. This is not what any of us that have been around signed up for!

"Stay far away from Market Development"

Pros

Nice office, decent PTO, innovative tech company, free soda/juice/coffee. There really aren't many pros to be honest.

Cons

I want this to be seen as a fair and credible review, so I am censoring my thoughts here. The best way I can describe what the new market development division of Concur Technologies has turned into is like this: If the sales movie "The Boiler Room" and "Wolf of Wall Street" had a baby, and it came out depressed and dysfunctional, you would have the Market Development at Concur.

Concur used to be a great company with a great environment to work at. This is why I and a lot of others like me came to this company. However, market development went under a severe transformation that turned all worlds upside down right after a lot of people got hired to where it is now a cold calling job, rather than a strategic market dev position. A new executive leading market development chose to transform this division of the company into a 500+ dial per day old school call center factory with a stretched hope that this will be the best and most respected market development division. Unfortunately, they fail to realize that while Concur has potential to be a top tech company, the slimy car sales tactics being implemented are simply not able to keep up with the ever-changing innovation and idealogical autonomy necessary to be that top tech organization. It's become a place where you really don't get to use your brain to produce or make a difference, just follow ridiculous protocol set in place by a team of unsuspecting management to keep their engine running.

Management is so blind to the fact that half of their employees are severely unhappy and are looking for other jobs, or have done so already. Understand that this affects your employees. All roles changed in market development and not a single employee is doing the same work as when they were hired. Is that fair for someone who just signed on to begin a career with your company?

Very unprofessional manner of treating their new hires and no formal training, considering half of the employees in that division were hired just weeks before this change happened.

Market development managers play favorites and don't even acknowledge those who aren't drinking their new and very bitter Kool-Aid. They are weeding out the people who aren't on board this new transformation and basically forcing them to quit or take disciplinary action leading to termination. They are simultaneously hiring new people to complete their army and take the market development division to where they believe it needs to go. However, even veterans of Concur in market development have left since this happened and a good number of employees are "secretly" looking for new jobs.

Fratty environment, which is typical in an MDR/SDR/ADR role. Never really felt at home there.

In conclusion, I could never recommend someone to apply for the Market Development Representative position under current management structure. This was a horrible experience. If your ideal job is to hammer out an absurd number of cold calls all day/every day and participate in the high school locker room culture of what market development has changed into, then this might be for you. But if you have some self respect and a desire to have a lucrative sales/marketing job or career that really matters to you and your consumers, I'd stay far, far away.

Advice to Management

Stop being oblivious to the fact that most people are looking to leave Concur because of the change in leadership and business direction. There are other ways to run a sustainable, successful business. Stop playing favorites. And PLEASE think about your employees and how your new business model affects them.

"Treading Water"

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer II in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Design Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Good place for work/life balance, easy location (transit center across the street!) , reasonable work-load and expectations, nice equipment.

Cons

People in my division worked in silos - to the extreme. Culture seems to be one of fear - very little sharing, communication, or collaboration. Ironic since we're supposed to be working in an "agile environment".

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in daily communications. It doesn't really matter how many or what kind of "team building" events we attend, if you're not really open to candid discussion.

"Worst management in my work history"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Concur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive with other companies
    The work is interesting

Cons

Disorganized, misusing stockholders money (like taking unnecessary work trips to Europe with family on company's money)
    I got an 'overachieved' promotion. In about 6 months I went on approved vacation. New manger tried to fire me while I was in vacation. HR discipline her really good and she could not fire me. I left one year after the event as I could not find a way to deal with my new manager dishonesty, disrespect and unprofessionalism.

Advice to Management

Employee who are respected work better and the company prosper.

"Culture"

Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Concur (More than a year)

Pros

There work was Interesting and fast paced

Cons

Immediate supervisor was a known bully boss

Advice to Management

Pay attention to multiple employees affected by a bully boss.

"Ineffective, Bloated Middle-Management"

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Concur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Concur is a stable company that survives through recessions because expense management software is compelling to companies during an economic downturn.

Cons

UX Leadership is ineffective and places the burden of their unfilled responsibilities on their team instead of doing the hard work they need to be doing. Way too much middle management in the company overall leads to an overall lack of accountability. Concur has grown exponentially and gotten so comfortable with their position as an industry leader that they've forgotten how to innovate. The market is different now than it was 10 years ago (even 5 years ago), and smaller, more nimble technology companies are eclipsing Concur in terms of user experience and feature responsiveness. As companies and users become more accustom to smooth, easy experiences with technology, Concur is going to lose market share. Consumers are getting savvier, and Concur is not keeping up. They dissolved their "innovation" teams and are back to maintaining the status quo. There is no thought leadership anywhere in the company, despite a lot of blustery ego that would have you believe otherwise. There's no transparency, career development, or paths toward growth.

Advice to Management

Prioritize innovation in user experience, and figure out how to move faster to become a contemporary tech company. You will lose your market share if you stay comfortable, and your smartest, most innovative talent leaves because they get bored.

"Aimless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since its acquisition by SAP, there are opportunities to take on new challenges and opportunities within the company.

Cons

Management is a disorganised fraternity which does not convey its strategies to anyone, anywhere, perhaps because it doesn't really have any. In the absence of tangible strategies or project objectives, employees are almost encouraged to coast.

Advice to Management

Nothing that would be followed.

"The bigger picture"

I worked at Concur full-time

Pros

company wants to go somewhere. comfortable work environment.

Cons

the usual politics. no processes in place to teach people their jobs. you are set up to fail and expected to "know everything already". Asking questions is taboo.

Beware of the sign-on bonus.

HR doesn't care about your concerns and they will blacklist you if you complain. they also do not respect confidentiality. on several occasions others and myself have gone to HR with issues about management and the HR person went to the manager and told them what was said in the meeting as a "heads up" before any investigation was started. Next thing you know...people are forced out of a job.

Advice to Management

For the CEO to be so involved in his own company, he should pay more attention to his management and strengthening the staff working for them. If people don't have the tools to do the job, then how are they expected to make the business successful. find out actually why people are leaving or getting FORCED out. management needs to be managed.

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Good Sr. Management, good benefits, good products

Cons

Very, Very weak middle management

Advice to Management

clean shop, way too much dead weight in middle management, many of whom have been around way to long and are good at managing up but are very poor leaders