Concur Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Singh

"Company culture today"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I worked at Concur full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Concur is fast paced and growing quickly. A lot of people that work at Concur are passionate about the product and the people there. It's also a friendly work environment with great work-life balance and everyone values your time off as very much due to you and important that you take and use.

Cons

Not as many opportunities for growth as they'd like everyone to think because while managers will support you moving to another role, they rarely advocate for you or help you navigate growth opportunities, so it's up to the employee to find a new opportunity in the company.

Prior to SAP, the culture was enthusiastic, positive, collaborative and transparent. While SAP brought process improvement and more growth, the acquisition is also impacting the enthusiasm and passion for the company that employees feel, and driving more focus on results and faster results and less creativity and flexibility.

Concur also has problems with identifying and recognizing high potential employees and rewarding millennials. The overall compensation is generally fair, but often under market, but the benefits are solid and the work/life balance is valuable.

Many in management have been there for many years and are often resistant to promoting bright, young talent quickly, preferring to promote people they worked with for years.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more and take action to make positive changes and take action on employees that have been there for years, but have a bad attitude, since they're contributing to the declining overall positive employee culture. There used to be opportunities for everyone, but now it's becoming more opportunities for long term employees who are well connected within the company, rather than evaluating everyone on their recent contributions. This is much more prevalent in more senior level individual contributor roles, rather than the entry level positions which still have growth opportunities.

"Market Development.. Not recommended, period."

Current Employee - Market Development Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Market Development Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for growth in other departments within the company, positive culture (aside from market development), good PTO, decent pay, free pop.

Cons

Management in the market development department is not what it once was back when I started. Through a new department transformation this department is steadily becoming call center-esque, and believe me the products aren't the only things becoming automated - the employees now barely have to think. Scripts are written for you, email templates made for you, call lists developed for you and more. What was once an honorable department to be apart of where one had the freedom to be a strategic thinker is now a place where critical thinking skills and creativity are becoming less and less developed by the day. The role is quickly becoming something that someone with college degree is completely over qualified to do. If you are considering this role be prepared to harass prospects and live by hour regulations and requirements. The only people that are praised in this role are the ones who conform. Unless you want to "not think, twiddle your thumbs and press go" this role isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Employees in this department are extremely unhappy and it is going completely unnoticed. The talent that is leaving through this transformation is not leaving because they don't want to work hard enough in this role to succeed. The best talent is leaving because they care so much about their career development that they can't bare to work under such extreme regulations, and most of all, they know they are capable of much more.

"Great company. Don't work in Market Development!"

Current Employee - Market Development Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Market Development Representative in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation. Work life balance. Good benefits. In other departments, people seem very happy with their careers. President of the company is an extremely genuine and savvy business woman.

Cons

Market Development used to be a place where people collaborated with sales executives and various channels and has now become more of a smile and dial call center. Leadership is turning this into more quantity, less quality. Morale is down. Yet we all have to smile our way through it or you'll be on the chopping block. The new VP leads through fear with a smile on his face. Every day is Friday except for Friday which is Monday. Better drink that Koolaid! Managers are all white males. Not much diversity here.

Advice to Management

Choose quality over quantity. Invest in training programs regularly and encourage collaboration with MD and other channels rather than sectioning them off. Hire a more diverse group of individuals with more experience and different backgrounds.

5. "Does anyone work here?"

Current Intern - Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Intern - Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Concur as an intern

Pros

Very laid back. Work-life balance is very good. Flexible work schedule. Great spot to work if you have a family or if you want to be able to take a vacation without feeling guilty.

Cons

I'm not sure any work actually gets done here. I think the average schedule is 9-3. Don't even think about scheduling a meeting before 9. Probably wait until 10 to be safe.

Multiple groups are working on the same thing at the same time. Often times in a completely different city though, so communication becomes tough. Despite multiple groups working on it, it won't ever get done (sometimes because the clients hate change though).

From someone who likes to do new and exciting things, this place is the worst. If you aren't looking to be crazy innovative and want to focus more on having time for your kids, it might be the right spot.

Advice to Management

Stop saying how innovative you are, unless you actually plan on innovating. It is okay to be a boring, enterprise software company if that is what you are.

"Great Product, Lousy Job"

Former Employee - Client Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Concur (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent product and the customers loved the software solution.

Cons

Spent most of my time handling customer complaints with systems or interfaces. Spent more than 50% of my time on conference calls addressing problems.

Advice to Management

Need to understand the balance between customer satisfaction and purchasing new solutions.

"What I wish I knew before joining Concur"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office space and location in Bellevue, WA
    Good technology / cool product
    Casual work environment

Cons

First, let me say that there are definitely worse companies to work for, but below is a list of things I wish I knew before joining Concur.

- Leadership & culture: Terrible middle management likely due to nepotism which seems to run rampant. Since the SAP acquisition, most of the top level leaders who helped build and maintain the original culture have left. This has caused organizational and operational chaos all over. There is no top down communication. Prepare to operate in extreme ambiguity.

- Strategic direction: Concur can't tell its right foot from its left right now. Their organizational and product strategy hasn't kept pace with the rapid growth of their SMB group. They are losing major ground to smaller competitors and can't move quickly due to internal struggles between business units.

- Advancement: If you aren't an original pre-ipo Concurian or a close friend or family member, your chances for advancement are severely limited. Pick a position you are comfortable being in indefinitely. Many managers have only been with Concur or been there so long that they have no idea how other organizations operate. They reject best practices and outside ideas. They live in a cave but think they are on the cutting edge. In fact, if you disagree with them...just don't disagree with them because they know better than you, period.

- Pay and benefits: Extremely sub-par in both areas. Not competitive which makes it difficult to bring in outstanding talent.

Advice to Management

Concur was probably a great place to work many years ago but open your eyes. Stop the nepotism. Award talent. Accept outside ideas. Embrace healthy conflict. Concur will only get better if outside people are brought in to replace current middle and upper management.

Until then, people, be cautious joining the company today. Looking back, I probably wouldn't have applied. Don't rock the boat. I have seen more people fired in my two years at Concur than at any of my previous employers. Also, be prepared to report into someone whose dad, mom, brother, sister, husband or wife is an Executive or top level leader at the company.

"Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like what I did until I had to ask for help.

Cons

Many of the managers were either didn't know how to support their staff or bully's when doing so. Definitely would through you under the bus at every chance they got. If you want to get on the crazy train, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Listen

"One ward stay away"

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is for Tripit only. People are really nice and friendly. Food trucks everyday. Closer to Cal-train station

Cons

They are still using Sympony1.x framework, they never upgraded the framework and never will. They'll tell you in an interview that they are moving to Python don't believe them, I have being here for over a year and nothing has changed and nothing will. Once a week they have release and you have to be available for it late at night and it can take any where from 1hr to 3hrs.

You won't learn anything, you won't make any significant contributions. Most people get frustrated and leave. Salary and benefits are below average.

Absolutely no innovation, no passion.

Advice to Management

Hire more resources and pay competitive salary.
    Change or update technical stack.

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Concur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are great at there job, work hard and really want to help to customer. They are nice and helpful.

Cons

Management has implemented a few policies that make it harder for us to do our job as well as micro manage their staff. At least at my office location a career path seems to be lacking.

Advice to Management

You have assembled a great group of people. You need to give them more rope as well has prove that you value them by showing there are promotion opportunities if they preform well.

"Regional Sales Executive, SMB"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- OK pay
    - Good benefits
    - Work from home

Cons

- Negative approach from management
    - Flavor of the month sales strategy
    - Company culture

Advice to Management

- Work toward improving culture, and make people feel like they are more than a number on a spreadsheet
    - Improve negative approach by management
    - Stop changing sales strategy every quarter