Concur Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Concur President Mike Eberhard
Mike Eberhard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is suffering in the last year or so (in 18 reviews)

• Uncertainty around effects of SAP acquisition (in 20 reviews)

"Great Compay to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and life/work balance

Cons

Got too big after SAP acquisition

Advice to Management

Give more guidance to employees

"Worst management in my work history"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Concur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive with other companies
    The work is interesting

Cons

Disorganized, misusing stockholders money (like taking unnecessary work trips to Europe with family on company's money)
    I got an 'overachieved' promotion. In about 6 months I went on approved vacation. New manger tried to fire me while I was in vacation. HR discipline her really good and she could not fire me. I left one year after the event as I could not find a way to deal with my new manager dishonesty, disrespect and unprofessionalism.

Advice to Management

Employee who are respected work better and the company prosper.

3. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Lots of team work. Up-to-date in the software development industry. Working on cutting edge solutions. Cool/contemporary office interior.

Cons

Office is located close to freeway, lots of homeless folks, sidewalks are filthy.

Advice to Management

Salaries need adjusting to remain competitive

"One ward stay away"

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is for Tripit only. People are really nice and friendly. Food trucks everyday. Closer to Cal-train station

Cons

They are still using Sympony1.x framework, they never upgraded the framework and never will. They'll tell you in an interview that they are moving to Python don't believe them, I have being here for over a year and nothing has changed and nothing will. Once a week they have release and you have to be available for it late at night and it can take any where from 1hr to 3hrs.

You won't learn anything, you won't make any significant contributions. Most people get frustrated and leave. Salary and benefits are below average.

Absolutely no innovation, no passion.

Advice to Management

Hire more resources and pay competitive salary.
    Change or update technical stack.

"Incompetent QE management at all levels"

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer - Test in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer - Test in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot find one pros to add here, getting ready to move out

Cons

QE management lacking technicals skills , disrespectful to people
    Management promoted in less than a year? Don't we already pay them to do their job, do we need to promote them every 8 months or so?
    For non manager QE not a lot of growth opportunities after senior level.

Advice to Management

Trainings for management

"Great company - committed to transforming cloud"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People who complain here about the code stack do not understand the "cloud". Concur's challenges are no different than any other cloud companies; and I've been with one of the largest cloud companies in the market and have seen the same.

The thing I am most impressed about is Concur is doing something about the way the cloud has evolved, which is to change it. I find my role really fulfilling in that I play a role in not only disrupting the travel and expense industry, but developing a strong platform to support the infinite number of travel and expense apps in the mobile world.

I love:
    - Concur respects me and my work
    - Doesn't focus on volume of work like my previous employer, but on quality and gives me time to get things done
    - Balance is relative, but compared to my previous companies, this place really respects family time and appreciates you when you do need to overtime
    - A lot of talk about career

Cons

Things are not perfect, but our leaders open up opportunities for feedback. We can be disorganized at times, but I have not seen any different at any other company I've worked in. Being patient is key.

Company can be arrogant at times, I think looking deeper into what competition is doing than attack them will be key to changing and evolving own technology.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire new leaders to keep new ideas coming

"Sweatshop....Horrible place..horrible culture..this place is setting itself up for failure."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am thinking long and hard...and I have nothing positive to say about this SWEATSHOP. You won't even want your worst enemy to work for this horrible company. They fired a bunch of people in front of my very eyes at their first mistake....no 2 weeks notice nothing...just fire people at will. Yeah...nothing nice to say here

Cons

Sweatshop...
    Management doesn't appreciate your efforts ( even if you do 60+hrs per week)
    Treat people like scum
    Filled with prejudiced people...
    NO SDLC
    NO Software process
    CHAOTIC at best
    No doubt they will fail...Concur Government Edition ( horribly managed)...you are bound to fail.

Advice to Management

You should see beyond the stock price...

"Obsolete technology stack and spaghetti code mar an otherwise good company. Don't join if you are a software developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer

I have been working at Concur full-time

Pros

As far as travel and expense booking tools go, it is number one in the market. With contracts with the US government, french government, and big companies such as google, microsoft, boeing, jp morgan, and american express just to name a few, Concur is dominant.

The corporate culture is good. There is work life balance, everyone is friendly, and the benefits are good. 21 paid time off days is quite generous.

Cons

Concur is using an obsolete technology stack and is not making any progress toward getting rid of it. Its a career dead end for developers. There are over a million lines of classic asp in the legacy code base with thousands of new lines of vbs added every month. It is quite spaghetti. Very few people understand it, and even people who have worked there for many years can't answer questions about features that they wrote. New hires are going to struggle and spend days writing one line fixes for simple customer cases, because debugging the code is a nightmare. It is not cleanly structured, meaning business logic and UI logic are mixed together inside functions that span thousands of lines. There are no coding standards or conventions in the asp code base so even reading it is difficult.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the asp code base. Get rid of XSLT. Get rid of outdated javascript frameworks like ExtJS and prototypeJS. The current architects are using new technologies like asp.net MVC but are using them to simulate classic asp to avoid dealing with compiled code. Hire a full time build manager to get around this issue.

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company strives on innovation culture and team work. Excellent opportunities for growth and innovation. People are amazing. Clear goals and objectives, very less politics. Senior management and top leadership are excellent. Heirarchy is literally flat, so dont have to do show off to get visibility. You do good work you get rewarded, as simple as that. The travel and expense industry has huge potential for growth and so is this company

Cons

Parking/ cafeteria and benefits. None of which are a deal breaker.

"Great work if you can get it"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Concur full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Concur is a 'nice' place to work, they don't work on the principle of using you up and throwing you away. It is more of a relaxed atmosphere. They pay a 10% bonus pretty reliably.

Cons

Oppourtunities to advance are limited. Salary increases are limited to cost of living. No opportunity for stock options

Advice to Management

You need to think about the little people who make the big people big.