Concurrent Technologies Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Concurrent Technologies Corporation President and CEO Ed Sheehan
Ed Sheehan

Pros
  • Good benefits and retirement plans (in 17 reviews)

• Great people, family feel, very professional yet close (in 13 reviews)

Cons

"Challenging, flexible, and enjoyable place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Johnstown, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Johnstown, PA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work is challenging and seems to be ever changing. Management is extremely flexible, allowing flex schedules and work from home opportunities. Co-workers are some of the best around.

Cons

Current business climate is challenging.

Advice to Management

Work like mad to obtain new work.

"Let's do a Fact Check"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnstown, PA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Eight years ago this company was a respectable and valued organization, generating approximately $300M in annual revenues. There were approximately 1,500 brilliant and hard-working employees. Amazing attitudes and jobs were in abundance. The benefits, salaries and opportunities for advancement along with doing great things were amazing. New offices were opening up both nationally and internationally. Then there was a change in executive leadership…...

Cons

After the changes within executive leadership this company is collapsing from its standing as a leading applied scientific research and development professional services organization. There are many theories that have been debated among the cynics as to why the organization is failing. Regardless, the fact is employees are frustrated and angry, new contract awards have dried up, offices are being closed or down-sized, furniture and equipment is being sold off and employees are mass exiting the company. In less than a decade, the organization has declined from approximately $300M to $84M in annual revenues and from 1,500+ employees to 500 (with many of those being part-time). Over the past two years, the company has lost more $10M in fees. Sadly, Executive Management celebrates the loss because it is less than they expected to lose.
    To offset the decline in direct work, indirect expenditures cuts are being made. While reductions are certainly necessary, the decreases in indirect expenditures has been poorly managed. The mismanaged downsizing of such cuts is now beginning to drain the life from both the corporate infrastructure and the general and administrative functions. Fewer and less qualified people are expected to try to hold things together while executive leadership advertises that it is "business as usual".
    Executive Management has an addiction to consultants. Hiring consultants and technical advisory members has become a way of doing business and therefore putting off making decisions. While consultants are figuring out and recommending alternatives, leadership doesn’t have to do anything. And when the consultant and advisor’s choices are presented, the ensuing debates can often absorb hours, days, and months. Meanwhile, the organization just keeps getting poorer.
    The current CEO is an unbelievable narcissist. He operates the organization according to what people will think. This may be good in politics, but not in business. He seems to be most interested in building a personal legacy for himself within his community. He is consumed with wanting to entertain clients, make fabulous presentations and sponsor community events. He is self-absorbed, over confident and has been extremely careless with the organization's hard-earned money. Maybe we should just name a building or a highway after him and he will go away.
    Executive management claims that the downward turn the organization is due to slow and minimal government funding. While this may be some of the reason, a good leader would have anticipated that and prepared accordingly. Additionally, a good leader would not have been so arrogant as to assume that our client doesn’t know what they want and therefore alienated so many of them. The warning signs have been there, but senior leadership is in denial. Leadership is focused only on themselves. They have destroyed the company and broke the spirit of the hard-working employees that helped to build the company.

Advice to Management

Executive Management - Get your heads out of the sand and look in the mirror. Your employees are not interested in hearing about your stories of personal accomplishments. Don’t expect your employees to celebrate because the losses were less that you thought they would be. Please stop the advisory boards, tiger teams, consultants (remember the entire "branding debacle"). We do not appreciate that so many good people have fell victim of the mismanagement within the organization. Successes and failure are all on you. Stop passing the blame onto others. Outside of the small group of ‘cronies’ you have assembled over the years, your employees do not trust or believe you. We come to work because we are the few that have not yet been able to secure other work. If and when we do…..we will leave too.
    Board of Directors – Consider the consequences of your lack of attention. Your inability to take action now threatens to sink the company. There are too many friendships and alliances between Management and the Board. How is it that the Company can be in a decade long downward spiral without any dissent from you? This should never have been allowed to happen. Take action NOW. If you are unwilling or unable to stop this sinking ship, I suggest that you jump overboard. We can’t do any worse without you.

"Employee"

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time

Pros

Benefits and salary are great.

Cons

Loss of contracts has led to many layoffs.

"CTC/EVC review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay, good co-workers, not over worked.

Cons

the company has been losing a lot of contracts so employment is unstable.

"Your retirement - but they control when you can get it"

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people below the executive level. Great salary - but no bonuses except for executives

Cons

Completely incompetent executive manage boy and raised on Murtha hand-outs. No desire to travel to Washington, DC where are clients are. Willing to say they can do anything for a dollar.

Even though they tell you the money is yours, the made TIAA get their approve for each and every withdrawal. They actually rejected a withdrawal that met TIAA process and I'm without the money I need to pay the bills. Hows that for caring about their people. Let you go and then drag their feet when you want YOUR MONEY out of retirement to pay your bills. Thanks CEO and CFO great family values.

Advice to Management

Wait for your golden parachute, while everyone else suffers in a town that is already hurting. Over 2 billion dollars went through YOUR company and nothing to show for it except some rich insiders.

"Industrial Hygienist III"

Current Employee - Industrial Hygienist III in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Industrial Hygienist III in Albany, NY

Pros

I Work with very dedicated people who are very professional. Company has good compensation and benefits. I am able to work remotely when I am not on the road. Good IT support.

Cons

Employment sometimes depends on contracts in place. When contracts are lost or hang in the balance, I have been furloughed.. However I do believe the company does it's best to place you in another position if one is available. We have also lost cell phone allowance over the past few years and many of us must use our cell phones and data plans to keep in touch with the Clients.

8. "Great place to work - very family oriented"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnstown, PA

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Management is very flexible and sensitive to family needs and time off. Pleasant coworkers and very relaxing atmosphere. Excellent benefits. Management keeps employees very informed of status of contracts and financials.

Cons

Recent cuts have caused a decline in morale of employees. Contracts seem to be slow in coming in.

"Jelly of the Month Club was better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Concurrent Technologies Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a salary with insurance.

Cons

Over the past 2 years this Not For Profit research corporation has been sliding the long and slow slope to expiration.

I just received my annual Christmas bonus of a $15 gift card from Walmart!

This really tells the story of how much Concurrent Technologies Corporation (CTC) and Enterprise Ventures Corporation (EVC) (cash cow to CTC) really care about it's workers. We sit out at WPAFB on contract making money every month for the mother ship, receiving no profit sharing from EVC, even when we show a profit. This year my raise was the first in 4 years and it was less than 1%.

Christmas/Holiday parties and Summer picnic were all eliminated in 2016. If were lucky we receive one pizza meal and a candy bar during the year. Oh I forgot the annual polo shirt engraved with the EVC logo! I refuse to wear something that reminds me of cattle wearing the brand of the owner.

Corporate is too ignorant of the fact that they can make money by promoting their staff who are contracted offsite to government agencies, as we are continually tasked to perform at a level higher than the position we were hired to do. I have replaced 3 civilian staff and now do they're jobs and whose average salary was $40k/year greater than what I receive. Do the math! Give your staff raises when you recompete the contracts at the level of performance and you are able to make more money!!!

CTC/EVC get in touch and manage your business!

Advice to Management

CTC/EVC get in touch and manage your business!

"Mixed emotions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnstown, PA

Pros

The benefits are good. I really enjoy the people that I work with.

Cons

Unsure what the future will hold.

"Slowly going under"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Johnstown, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Johnstown, PA

Pros

Good benefits, good salary, good friends. If there is something else good anymore, i'm missing it.

Cons

Everything else. The company has been slowly going under over the past couple years. Back in the day the company had 1600 employees. Now there are 416. In the past month alone we have lost another 7 to lay offs or resignations. All the good people have either jumped ship or are hunting for jobs. The outlook of what is to come for the company isn't good for the software industry. Maybe its better on the other side for the manufacturing group. But the software side is on its death bed. No new contracts have been coming in for years, and those that have been around for years the company is losing when they go up for re-compete.

I'd suggest seeking employment elsewhere unless your looking for a job that will last a few months while looking for something better.

Advice to Management

The only advice I can give is to get rid of the SELT team and start fresh. However with how bad things are I don't know if there is enough time to turn things around. Too many of the good programmers have left or have been let go.