Condé Nast Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.1
Condé Nast President and CEO Roger Lynch
Roger Lynch
Pros
  • "Good work-life balance, flexible working (one day per week from home was a standard before Covid-19)(in 36 reviews)

• "Some great, very smart people around(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "No upward mobility and long hours(in 49 reviews)

• "Strong hierarchy, particularly prevalent in higher pressure magazines such as Vogue(in 32 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Condé Nast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people Very inspiring Clean office

Cons

No cons at this company

2. "good gig"

4.0
    Current Employee - Writer

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

vacation time was 4-5 weeks

Cons

too much good food to eat

3. "overall decent company but was looking to leave after a year"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, summer Friday's, snacks, work life balance

Cons

Started off with low salary, never got raise after being there for two years

"Inconsistent Company Pay / Values * Good Actors"

2.0

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Insurance and small annual healthy spending $ allowance. I do think they have diverse hiring, BUT it also feels like they're just like "SEE? We have black queers working here!" - totally just covering their butts to look inclusive.

Cons

Absolutely NO consistency regarding pay structure and raises throughout the company. No work-life balance, they don't seem to understand how to properly label a role in relation to responsibilities & workload, and there's VERY little room for promotion, raises, and growth. They suck you dry like leeches but don't actually appreciate you. The culture is very very white-male dominated & paid, despite diverse hiring practices.

5. "Great for resume"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great for your resume if you have conde nast in them

Cons

I spend three years and I didn't get any raise

"Incompetent management, racism and complicity run rampant"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The chance to work alongside *some* talented, creative and fun individuals. It looks good on a resume and the office space/location is nice.

Cons

Everything you've been reading lately about the overt racism, discrimination and complicity at Condé Nast is entirely true - at a staggeringly larger scale than the press has even reported. Here is a brief recap of my experience as one of only a few POCs in my department: As so many have recounted, the discrimination and pay disparities and bullying were unavoidable. I was constantly reminded how expendable I was and once told I "should be honored to work here." Although I regularly experienced uncomfortable situations, I knew I could never speak out or report them because nothing would improve and doing so would only further isolate me. It became even more apparent that the discrimination was inhibiting my career advancement when a colleague senior to me left and I was required to assume her role. Being compensated for the extra work should’ve been a given, but when I asked I was met with stern pushback and intimidation for 6 months until my manager ultimately claimed I had an “attitude problem” and that I did not deserve a raise because of it. This was both shocking and problematic in many ways, not only because it was untrue (every performance review I’d received up until that point had been superb), but because I am a woman of color and she used the racist trope solely to gaslight and dismiss me. Meanwhile I had to keep my head down, internalize it, and continue to do the job of two people, as they never hired an additional team member to pick up the slack. In the end, I learned I was making far less (over 25% in some cases) than my white counterparts were. Beyond this, sexism and harassment were also a huge issue. A VP level exec in my department joked about how the harassment training learnings didn't apply to him. He'd make inappropriate comments about lower-level female employees during company outings and once made an interviewee so uncomfortable that she went to HR and filed a formal complaint. Not surprisingly, nothing was done to check his behavior. Unacceptable.

Continue reading
  7. "Great Job"

4.0
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast full-time for more than a year

Pros

People were great. Caliber of work was great. Brands were cool.

Cons

Compensation could of been better. Was there during times of uncertain change.

8. COVID-19

"Plagued by bad management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Outside of senior management, there are many talented, diverse, and interesting people to learn from. That said, working here can be a resume builder for a year or two but don't count on much longer than that. It's not somewhere that talented young people should plan on building their careers. Even if you don't mind the toxic, directionless corporate culture, the re orgs and layoffs come so often that the anxiety of staying isn't worth it.

Cons

New CEO has been here for over a year but hasn't done anything. Lots of talk about introducing a new strategy but so far only new executive hires and more C-suite bloat. Majority white dudes (really uninspiring). They will probably blame coronavirus for failure to balance the budget, which is a shame, because a reckoning was on it's way before the pandemic hit.

Continue reading

"Needs to change --- and fast"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

Love the people, and feel very proud of the product that the company puts out. Sales team works extremely hard despite tough environment.

Cons

There is no company direction whatsoever, despite leadership changes. Certain titles definitely have more strategy than others, and thus are able to retain talent, while others flounder. Financial decisions are also fishy. Budgets are constantly being cut. We have layoffs for critical roles, while executive hires are still being made without evidence of need. It is confusing and demoralizing.

10. "Great Company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Benefits Specialist in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Condé Nast full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, great team, great manager, lots of time off

Cons

Lots of change. Not a good job for someone who doesn't do well with change

Found 726 reviews