Condé Nast Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Bob Sauerberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance, diversity of people, nice offices (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, allows for growth, creativity and to work with the top talent in the industry (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, low pay, extremely long hours (in 21 reviews)

• Salaries are low, benefits aren't great, long hours sometimes (in 46 reviews)

1. "Marketing"

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

The People and the benefits

Cons

Can be very unorganized at times. A lot of things changing

2. "Comp-any Culture of "Haves" and "Have-nots""

I worked at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

A Comfortable work environment in Delaware, friendly co-workers, management backs up employees, moderate autonomy. Ton of time off.

Cons

Very strong presence of a rift between standard employees and upper management. There is not a realistic chance of transitioning from a "have-not" to a "have". In other words, you may get a promotion or two, but it will not really change your day-to-day work or salary. Oh, and they will ask for extra work and they will not finacially compensate for it. Penalized for taking time off by the people who approved the request.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction, make a decision and communicate with your employees. Avoid the Cryptic (changes are coming!) which I've heard consistently over 10 years. Actually talk to the people who are most affected by the support structure to get their viewpoint, don't just rely on "no complaints!" or your management team who is looking to get a raise and cement their position.

"The worst company I've ever worked for"

I worked at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

-The company is going under (fast), which will make the world a better place.
    -There are a lot of hiding spots for when someone finally snaps and goes postal.
    -Very pro-white culture which is great if you are white.
    -Every job you have after this will be better.
    -They throw parties to try to boost morale right before laying off people.

Cons

Fraternity/Sorority type of atmosphere. If you aren't the right tone or sucking up to your manager you won't advance or fit in. The Company is losing money faster than you can blink so layoffs and restructuring will be continually occurring until they are bought out or shut down. Most employees are treated like objects and not like real people. Super high turnover especially in HR.

I'd liken CN to Detroit. Once a good place on the rise, full of potential, and boundless future but then it crashed and is on the verge of bankruptcy. One of the most common phrases I've heard working in this office is "I'm confused", but that was only because this specific employee was brought in by a friend and not qualified for their position.

Advice to Management

Evaluate management and declare bankruptcy.

4. "No"

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

It is a full-time job

Cons

You really think I'm going to post this.

Advice to Management

"False culture, poor leadership"

I worked at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

The name and its titles.

Cons

Poor leadership. Wishes it was cool and hip but is stuck in the past. Rigid and lame. Corporate through and through.

Advice to Management

Make some fires and new hires at the top. Pay those that do the work not just the suits and vps. Lame.

"Horrible Stack requires Horrible Hours"

I worked at Condé Nast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have standing desks if requested.

Cons

Where to begin. Here are a few highlights from the time i was there:

For many months I was required to work 7 days a week which eventually settled into 100+ hour work week for 2 years.

Another issue, which sounds illegal but not sure was when I was getting yelled at by boss why I'm not staying late nightly until 10 pm with no AC running in the middle of the summer to hit his impossible deadline.

Our director would get drunk and hit on every girl on the team. I had 6+ team memebers tell me how discusted they were by his actions. I know multiple people complained and instead of firing him they sent him to another country to work with a different team.

Worst of all the culture is toxic and stack is overly complicated and management is 3-4 years behind.

Advice to Management

Open Ears Open Heart

"Director."

I worked at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

TheY create Beautifully curated brands

Cons

Oh let me count the ways. I worked on several brands at Condé Nast and excelled in sales. My last position, I worked for a publisher at a high end fashion magazine (not Vogue) who once asked me how to spell KOHLER when I broke the account and asked her to at least send an email to the client (she never travelled to my territory). At one of our signature events her after party consisted of going to an IN and OUT burger and tossing her cookies in the parking lot. Classy. This was my publisher. Fast forward, when The magazine did not make their September numbers, there had to be cost cutting - so solution was to close the outside office and despite my being 150% of goal, my position was eliminated. I was owed a very sizable
    Commission check but instead of doing the right thing of paying it out, I am sure she added that to her bottoms line. Since then she has been shifted to another area of the company. And a side note. When I was in TX calling on a big retailer with my publisher and EIC, after the meeting they took off in their car service and left me standing in the Dallas corporate offices.

Advice to Management

Why do you continue to shift this person who has zero people skills and zero respect for her staff around in the company. She adds no value.

"Love the magazine, hate the corporation."

Current Employee - Associate Editor
    Current Employee - Associate Editor

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible colleagues: brilliant, funny, and not at all cutthroat. I feel motivated by their successes but not competitive. I know I could make more money elsewhere but the good people keep me here.

From a reporting standpoint, having the legacy brand behind me still carries a lot of weight with sources. The recognizability of the magazine was really essential to me early in my career.

Likewise, great access to celebrities: The bookings editors are the best in the business.

Our editor-in-chief is not exactly accessible, but when you DO get in front of him you feel like the most important person in the world. It never feels like he's rushing to get to another meeting.

Even though the industry is struggling and a lot of people are stretched pretty thin right now, when someone has a good idea we still go at it full throttle. Big ideas are still valued and supported.

There's been a noticeable effort to elevate junior employees, perhaps because a lot of our senior staffers were laid off.

Cons

Conde Nast is extremely opaque about the company's plans, so hysterical rumors spread quickly. Morale is really low.

Pay does not meet industry standards, and salary parity is not a concern.

There's no consensus about what our digital presence should look like. Staffers want to go in one direction, but our traffic goals demand that we go another direction.

Everyone is overworked and overwhelmed- there was no effort to fill vacant positions after layoffs in the fall, so everyone is doing about three jobs. It's not sustainable, and people are getting poached like crazy.

Because people are stretched so thin, it's rare that writers get the attention and edits that they deserve. "Self-editing" is the new normal.

9. "Research manager"

I worked at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

Good hours and colleagues. Benefits are nice.

Cons

Pay is way too low and not aligned with years of experience.

10. "Design Director"

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time

Pros

The pay is good and the people are really nice.

Cons

Departments are overworked with restructure.