Condé Nast Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Bob Sauerberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work at and great work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits, lots to learn from higher ups (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture does not promote work/life balance (depending on where you work) (in 21 reviews)

• Salaries are low, benefits aren't great, long hours sometimes (in 43 reviews)

1. "The best place to get started..."

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Conde is, in my opinion, the best place to work if you want to be in the magazine industry. They have great benefits, interesting staffs, and a challenging environment. Have you seen their cafeterias?? Amazing.

Cons

Well... hours are long! you really have to love what you are doing.

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with your staff.

"Conde can be cold, but they have a lot of opportunities."

Former Employee - Fashion Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fashion Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

They are a special company. They are privately owned, and this aspect provides many benefits. There are a lot of career opportunities. If you are ready and good enough to move up another step in the publishing world, they could move you to a different magazine in order to continue the challange. When my coworker was ready to becoma an Associate Publisher, they moved her from Vanity Fair to Vogue. She is so happy in her new position.

Cons

It had a very cold, bitter atmosphere. My supervisors seemed misserable. One girl would always be crying or having a nervous breakdown. But on the other hand, there were assistants that could handle themselves... Although they weren't exactly happy either.

Advice to Management

I would tell senior management to be aware of their subordinates. Fashion and publishing are two industries in which the newbies shoot straight up in no time.

3. "Great work environment"

Pros

I've never worked with this many clever, creative and smart people in one place. There is near-total freedom to do your job when and how you see fit, as long as you so it well. And the benefits are good.

Cons

Not enough feedback from immediate supervisor, but that's just my department. Other middle managers seem competent. Pay is industry standard for my level.

Advice to Management

Showing your faces around the various branches would go a long way toward letting employees know they're appreciated; some of our top management is just a name to us.

"entry level"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

I really, really, really enjoy working for conde nast. Although I am in a entry level position I love the fact that is is room to grow within the company. I am so grateful to be working for such a great company. I couldnt ask for anything better.

Cons

entry level salary is low.

Advice to Management

I think the overall management of conde nast is great. The only thing I would suggest is that when new people start make them feel welcome. Its hard being the new person and getting adjusted to others working style. For the most part everyone is great, but there are times where my insecurity comes in to play.

"Intern POV"

Former Employee - Fashion Intern in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Fashion Intern in Duluth, GA

Pros

Employees seem to be passionate about what they do, and are extremely energetic. Sure, there are some "difficult" personalities, but that's to be found everywhere. Overall, a solid work environment.

Cons

Jobs seemed somewhat hard to attain for outside hires; Hiring seems to be based highly on connections as well as internally.

Advice to Management

Honestly, nothing comes to mind since I didn't really encounter any negative methods of leadership. Most who hold leadership positions got there for a reason.

"I was on of the Summer 2009 Conde Nast Summer Internship Program and was personally placed with Lucky Magazine"

Former Employee - Advertising & Sales Intern, Summer Internship Program in New York, NY

Pros

The pro's of the Conde Nast Summer Internship Program are endless. Out of the ongoing list, my top three pro's would have to be the following:
    1. Unbelievable dedication to making sure every intern was given a complete understanding and experience of the entire Conde Nast/publishing industry, regardless of personal placement.
    2. The entire Conde Nast company/all employees were delightful to work for and extremely kind, genuine, and always willing to help clarify or further explain
    3. The Conde Nast building (4 Times Square) is impeccably clean, easy to commute to, and very safe

Cons

The only "con" that I can truly admit to after spending three months at Conde Nast was that as a part of the internship program, the compensation was a measly $8 per day...very hard to be able to afford when being a college student in NYC!

Advice to Management

If there were anything to offer in order to improve the program I would suggest more/other/additional ways to compensate interns!

7. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Nice Pay, Very Good environment and nice people to work with. Not much politics, overall a good place to work.

Cons

Bit old technologies, Bit difficult to climb the ladders in top management.

Advice to Management

nothing

8. "Definitely an inspirational experience, not to be found anywhere else."

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Great working environment! People are friendly in corporate and want to help you out. Gain tthe greatest experiences of all time, from consumers to print to digital. You work with your intern class to create your own personalized magazine.

Cons

It is an Un-paid Internship.

9. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Technology Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great work environment.
    Extremely talented people.
    Great Benefits.
    Good balance between work/life

Cons

you must be able to withstand the constant reorganizations, and have a strong ability to adapt to constant change.

Advice to Management

formalize a strong consistent strategy and vision, understand that the content Conde Nast Publications provides is where it's core value is. The medium of delivery is unimportant the content is. diversify revenue sources, stop relying so heavily on print advertising.

10. "Advertising Assistant"

Pros

Good Hours, Good Bosses, Fun, Laid-back.

Cons

The magazine business is going down the pipes :(