Condé Nast Reviews | Glassdoor

Condé Nast Reviews

Updated May 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great place to work at and great work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits, lots to learn from higher ups (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no pay and you are expected to work long hours (in 42 reviews)

• Culture does not promote work/life balance (depending on where you work) (in 19 reviews)

"Big Enough to Know Better"

Former Employee - Front End Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Front End Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top brands that look amazing on your résumé. Pay is decent. Little oversight: your weird idea can make it to production within a day. Designers and editors care deeply about their work and how it's presented.

Cons

This company is large enough to take more responsibility in what they're putting out there. Certain brands operate in their own technological fiefdoms, where things like build tools, tests, code quality, and many other important parts of modern web development, are left solely to the discretion of the ranking member of the team. The political corporate reality of this lack of oversight results in situations where you, as someone who strives for a more sound codebase, can feel ostracized for rocking the boat—rather than empowered to contribute something meaningful to the product at large. Discussions are shut down and shade is publicly thrown, rather than a conversation on the merits on either approach.

Advice to Management

Set up an environment that rewards initiative, rather than punishes it. Totally unrelated fields within this company have similar grievances, but those you expect. This was genuinely surprising to me.

2. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice company to work for. Good benefits.

Cons

No cons. Had a good experience working there.

3. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was there for 7+ years, it's an exciting place to work with really smart people.

Cons

The media industry is facing a lot of turmoil.

"Devil Wears Prada is real..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Condé Nast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, Brands, Creative People, Nice building?

Cons

management, no established process, not a supportive environment, bad work/life balance, worst company culture I've experienced.

Advice to Management

spread our your roles and responsibilities. Make sure everyone on your team is knowledgeable about process and procedures vs. holding information to keep your authority. Less ego, more support.

6. "great experience"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast (More than 5 years)

Pros

amazing, quality journalism, surrounded by luxury

Cons

declining business.... sometime out of touch. needs to be more customer centric.

"The Devil does wear Prada"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Due to the lack of resources, lack of support from upper management, and an lack of an effective HR department, I was often placed in situations that required me to work on projects way above my pay grade. The only positive aspect to this is the growth to my own personal skill set.

Cons

I think the tone of my review is sufficient in terms of describing what a lackluster company Conde' Nast is behind the scenes. This company is quickly falling behind in the digital space, and if they do not heed the suggestions of their staff, they will be out of business in no time. Stop spending money on celebrities and appeasing the Publishers who make way too much money and barely spend time in the office, or solving brand problems. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Management

INVEST IN TALENT; Spend the extra time listening to your employees needs; Put less money behind Integrated Marketing, since most of the people in that department have absolutely no digital knowledge; Educate the sellers in digital since they know very little...

"NOT WORTH IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The name is a benefit for future careers

Cons

Unprofessional, innapropriate, and vulgar. The company does have an amazing name and does incredible work, but that does not give their managers any excuse to be disrespectful towards their coworkers or other employees. I was in awe at the level of unprofessionalism from this company when it came to treating each other. Trust me it is not worth your own sanity and happiness to work here. No opportunity to move up in the company, lots of pompous, immature management without respect for others. Proceed working for this company with caution.

Advice to Management

Hire professionals who respect all their coworkers and employees. It is a prestigious company, but that does not mean it is ok to treat others with disrespect. It doesn't make sense why a company with such a big name would want to leave people with a sour taste in their mouths instead of being happy to represent a company like this.

9. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Conde Nast gives you great connections and access to iconic brands - you'll meet great people who will help you throughout your career

Cons

Not a large potential for growth, very segmented roles, hard to move up, no opportunity for raises for assistants

Advice to Management

Reviews!

10. "Could be better!"

Former Employee - Digital Media Analyst in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Media Analyst in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Condé Nast (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay isn't too bad. incentives such as matching 401k and profit sharing may keep you longer if that's important to you.

Cons

No room for advancement. Managers don't like you to leave their department for other jobs within the company.

Advice to Management

At least in my department, managers are not equipped to fit the role.

"Used to be prestigious"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Condé Nast full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great for resume, working with top talent, people can be fun to work with (but alot depends on which department), good IT-tech dept., awesome cafe with views.

Cons

Everyone is worried about their own job- so morale overall very low. Communication- starting with the top leaders- is very dysfunctional to non-existent. Snobby attitude in many departments is tolerated and sometimes encouraged. Long hours are the norm. Many managers have no clue how to manage people and only stoked their own egos.

Advice to Management

Don't view your employees as disposable. Try to fix the low morale problems by actually listening -instead of dictating.... Better hurry before anyone with talent or sense leaves.