Conestoga-Rovers & Associates Environmental Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Conestoga-Rovers & Associates President Ed Roberts
Ed Roberts
1 Rating

1. "Long time employee benefits lacking"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist

I have been working at Conestoga-Rovers & Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting place to work, A wide range of opportunities exist if you look around and are willing to travel.

Cons

Current management seems to value incoming "talent" over experienced people, which is reflected in starting pay vs. incremental increases, which suck or are non-existent. The merger with GHD is leading to a paid time off benefit, with vacation and personal/sick time lumped together, which seems to also favor those with less than 4 years, not those who have been around awhile. This needs to be reviewed and fixed.

Advice to Management

You need to review salary structure for senior personnel!. A starting engineer being paid $50,000, when people who are worth alot more in experience and talent are not adjusted in relation to the current starting pay. You also need to consider additional benefits (PTO/vacation) for those with more than 15 years of time with CRA. You invested alot of time and training, and these people know how to get things done. The new hires just seem to want to get into the office ASAP, and need alot of hand-holding. Value the experienced people and pay them what they are worth.

2. "Great place to start"

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Duluth, GA

I worked at Conestoga-Rovers & Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will never get fired from CRA, there is such a passive aggressive atmosphere that no one would dare to rock the boat by firing an employee that has earned it. So there is great job security. Very safety oriented firm.

Cons

You must be in the right place at the right time to advance. Regardless of the time, effort or quality of work you put in, unless you have a supervisor who is genuinely interested in mentoring you to advancement, you will remain stagnant in whatever pigeon hole you started in. Normal advancement at CRA requires seniority, not talent.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves, and move some of the work down to your junior levels. The company will never succeed if you do not train up the juniors as the future management.

"A good place to learn consulting"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Conestoga-Rovers & Associates part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly easy to get hired on. I would say that CRA has been fair to me for the position that I hold and my experience level, but I've had two good supervisors that treated me well. If you are an hourly employee and don't mind travel, you can make better money than the salaried folks. I like my coworkers and the atmosphere is generally light hearted and easy to deal with. Some opportunity to relocate around the country if that is what you're looking for.

Cons

Low salaries.... lack of variety in the projects that are worked on, but this seems to be a trend in the environmental consulting industry. No real bonus program to speak of. Principals talk big talk about a lot but rarely follow through on anything and don't give you the time of day when they occasionally visit. The amount of paperwork, meetings, and approval process for every little task make getting things done efficiently next to impossible....especially the safety stuff....more paperwork DOES NOT make people more safe. Every time this company merges with another one, the stack of paperwork and red tape gets thicker.

Advice to Management

Cough up some money for bonuses and raises. I think retention of quality people is on the decline because people are still making the same salary as they were 4-5 years ago but their knowledge base and skill level has risen dramatically. There are some very talented and undervalued people working here that would do a lot more for the company if they felt compensated for their efforts. A real comp time bonus would be a great addition, the lower level field staff that travel a lot are getting burned out for very little compensation.