Congoleum Reviews | Glassdoor

Congoleum Reviews

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Moran

"Don't be motivated and don't ask as everyone will block you"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Marcus Hook, PA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Marcus Hook, PA

I worked at Congoleum (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay coming in because they have no raises and they had nothing to go by. Remember when negotiating with them that they lost a lot of people when they gave them a 10% pay cut.
    I tried to do so many things as an employee but was blocked by others that didn't want the risk. I guess I can't blame them because they are jaded. You may encounter people past the age of retirement because they get very good pay that they could not get elsewhere at this late stage of their lives but don't expect to do anything to change anything as far as new projects. They choose safe projects and block you on everything else.
    Management team was pretty good as they diversified the workforce and started thinking outside the box a little. They restarted the 401k matching with a fully vested balance in the middle of this year. It is hard to keep technical or young people without this. The youngest people left early this year to pursue other opportunities and I think this made an impact on the company's ability to keep talent.
    Open to allow you to learn into anything technical in the position if you are willing to learn.

Cons

Could not get systems updated even when the cost was low and the risk was non-existent. People here don't want to risk losing their job. It is the nature of the world. They can't go and get another job quickly or even in a different field so they are going to protect the job they have. These people thought that the company would carry them forever and that just isn't the case. Unfair to someone like me that is constantly expanded my skillset though. That means no changes inside the company. If something breaks then you can look like you care but don't try to make anything better. Could have used more financial support for educational opportunities like the union workers have.
    Several times I protested unfair treatment from others in the company. Some (one) in Maryland had a bad attitude and I spoke up against that. They tried to blame me for things and I upgraded their system that was 30 plus years old. That was what they wanted. I got the vendor they wanted to do the upgrade too. But some of the lower level people there wanted to put me down to make themselves seem better. I suspect kickbacks all around the company too though I have no proof.
    Another problem is that the company has too much business with one customer and there are other industries that could replace that product easily.
    The flooring industry has become a commodity. The facilities here still make good product but it is not the awesomest product on the market anymore. Others are coming online (even in the USA) and competing heavily without the need for human labor. Another company makes practically all the parts for the one major customer. Why wouldn't they make the last part, the floor. This company makes walls and ceilings. Why would this company not make the floors too (in the future) or just buy out this company and get rid of the union. The labor aspect makes it hard to compete with new automated companies and there is a disregard for the quality at times.
    Do you see these products at the local home improvement store? Or do you get what they have after choosing between two or three home improvement stores?

Advice to Management

Keep shaking things up by hiring minorities. And challenge people that have been there too long. Maybe shake things up. Don't get rid of these old people but maybe bring in some younger people and let them have more power to drive the company forward.
    Forget about stupid computer systems that make you look better in a leveraged buyout and try to make the product better and eliminate production delays. Maybe involve the younger people so they can tell you what the real problems are instead of making up projects that don't provide value. What was the number one cause of delays. What is always written on the morning meeting board that you don't address? Maybe you should fix these issues or the inability to make product because the computers won't talk to each other. Spending a lot on a commodity? Maybe you should add more advanced measurement to theses systems right outside the supervisors office and let that pay for itself. Red days are a joke. If you want to save power maybe you should upgrade to more efficient lighting.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Congoleum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The hourly people are great to work with.

Cons

Have not had a raise in 6 years. The health insurance is horrid. No 401k match. Over worked and under appreciated.

"Resilient Flooring Company"

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in New Hope, PA
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in New Hope, PA

I have been working at Congoleum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, company with history, brand recognition.

Cons

Turn around company, hard work.

4. "Diverse job; great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Congoleum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are very friendly. Making a comeback with new flooring designs

Cons

Changing office culture. Did not get to use my strengths; was getting bored.

Advice to Management

Need better communication between management and employees

"Excellent company moving in right direction"

I worked at Congoleum part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard work is rewarded. Very skilled workers, and upper management is involved in floor level workers. Compensation is kept fair in a highly competitive market. New products are introduced quickly and of high quality.

Cons

Competitive, but that is the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Stay involved with employees on floor. Especially feedback boards.

"Sr. VP Sales"

I worked at Congoleum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Highly experienced middle management and plant employees. Good legacy band still manufacturing quality products.

Cons

The experience of the employees is not valued by executive management. No incentive plans in place to encourage employees.

Advice to Management

Add incentives for employees to make bonuses and incentives. communicate the mission and the goals for the company to all employees.

7. "Partly sunny with thunderstorms developing"

I worked at Congoleum full-time

Pros

Mid-level management team are good, hard working people with a strong understanding of the business and how senior-level management decisions will impact the business and customers. Product offerings are improving.

Cons

C-level and some senior level managers often make quick, reactive decisions without 1) getting (or listening to) input of mid-level management and 2) fully understanding how those rash decisions will impact the supply chain and ultimately the customers.

Advice to Management

Plan for the business and stick to the plan. Understand fully how a decision will impact the business, employees, and customers before the decision is made.

"Incredibly low morale and rumors of company sale."

I have been working at Congoleum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many great employees who know how to make great product.

Cons

Other reviews are very appropriate. Company is failing, with much talk of buyers. Company fate lays with buyers. Hopefully they will have the good sense to clean up the new management. But as one plant manager used to say, "hope is not a strategy." So, many employees are jumping ship. Just sad. Best not to waste any energy is taking a job here.

Advice to Management

Get some real leadership in place.

9. "Disappointing"

I worked at Congoleum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The long term plant level employees are great people

Cons

The upper management is in turmoil

Advice to Management

Pack your parachute