Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CHCI Fellow"

I have been working at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute full-time

Pros

Amazing exposure for Fellows into Public Policy, leadership development

Cons

Can have the delays often found in non-profits. Small stipend for DC's expensive nature.

Advice to Management

Focus on interns and fellows not politics

2. "Excellent opportunities for interns and fellows"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CHCI alumni are truly a "familia" like they tout in their marketing. It's a great network as you're graduating from college, especially within the DC metro area.

Cons

The headquarters are very short staffed, overworked, and surviving on a shoestring budget.

3. "Extraordinary future!"

I have been working at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An exceptional and much needed mission given the current climate. Innovative and forward thinking leadership that will facilitate growth, impact and endless opportunities for staff and program participants. The potential is great and will be achieved!

Cons

No cons to share. Organization is on the right path to achieve and sustain a notable future for years to come. Glad to do my small part in making this a reality.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

4. "Positive Experience"

I worked at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute as an intern

Pros

Great environment and great people.

Cons

No downsides at all in my experience.

5. "Programs Staff"

Former Employee - Senior Program Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Program Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My immediate manager was absolutely phenomenal and a great role model for young professionals seeking programs experience with the non-profit.

Cons

The organization was going through several changes while I was employed and saw a net loss of between 40%-50% of its full-time staff from the time I began. Not just specific to this employer, but in any non-profit, it heightened my sense of attentiveness to early signs of organizational change.

Advice to Management

Retain employees who bring hard skills to the job; merely soft skills don't cut it in a non-profit setting these days.

6. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved interning for CHCI because they allow you to experience some of the activities that their interns from different programs experience. I interned for CHCI in high school and college, and they are always looking for ways to help you grow professionally.

Cons

I do not have any cons

7. "The work this company does is really awesome"

I worked at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute as an intern

Pros

CHCI has a great cause that they believe in and they help their program participants truly excel in what they want to be. Leadership training is basically number one within their programs. Loads of benefits to their participants and they have excellent staff.

Cons

A lot of focus on networking while working where you are employed but they do it for a reason (a high number of jobs offers come from networking and who you know).

"Great Program for Latinos"

Former Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ

I worked at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (More than a year)

Pros

Networking and the people you room with make this internship opportunity unique and unforgettable

Cons

Not enough diversity of opinion in the D.C. political scene amongst interns, but that doesn't take anything away from the internship program itself.

9. "An Investment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

CHCI has a great mission with lots of talented staff providing a great deal of work to ensure its students have the best experience possible. It invests lots of resources now to immediate wins. Great opportunity to build experience and refine skills to then leave and advance elsewhere.

Cons

Lots of long hours; no work-life balance. Work culture is tough and you either do or move out of the way. Not enough dollars invested to strengthen technology or infrastructure so staff can work smarter not longer. No investment made on students/alumni after their CHCI experience. Not much room for career growth anymore.

Advice to Management

Be more strategic. Build in time to plan, focus, and be thoughtful about its programming and events - do too much without thought to maximizing impact, resources, and CHCI brand. Invest in your staff too, not just students.

"Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Fellowship - Higher Education"

Current Contractor - Graduate Research Fellow in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Graduate Research Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Networking Opportunities and Professional Development Experience.

Cons

Organization suffers from Mission Creep, committed to its corporate donors and often too invested in quantity versus quality.

Advice to Management

Stipends for Graduate Fellows should be increased, given the millions of dollars the organizations receives yearly from corporate donors.