Conn-Selmer Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John M. Stoner Jr.

1. "Favoritism & Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Rotary Valve Maker in Eastlake, OH
    Former Employee - Rotary Valve Maker in Eastlake, OH

Pros

Excellent weekly pay and most weekends off. Holidays at Conn are awesome. Paid Vacation , 90 percent awesome workforce. Employees of 10 years or less are willing to help you and show you the correct way to build.

Cons

Poor management, Drama, Ancient machinary, Power tripping HR FAVORITISM. If you havent been there 20 to 30 years you are not part of the team. UAW does nothing for employees. Senior employees wont show you trade secrets and thrive on your mistakes. You will learn on your own. Senior employee theft of precious metals. Employees dont utilize the Union UAW. Employees are terrified to defend thier Union rights in fear of HR. Horrible working conditions in the summer.

Advice to Management

Favoritism & letting long term employees determine work load for others needs to stop. Just get rid of UAW Conn Selmer does as it please. Stop firing good management who truly knows how to run a shop. Get new HR who aren't on such ego trips and hungry to fire people. Better training for employees and cross training. Update machinary get calibrated precision tools. Get inspection team. Your pet employees are stealing from you. Send HR to training.

"Conn-Selmer, Inc: A cemetery for wasted talent and potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and vacation/holiday time. Excluding upper management and HR, there are some wonderful people to work with in all facilities.

Cons

Management and HR only care about the bottom dollar vs the employees that are making them money. In nearly 10 years there, I rarely ever felt I was truly valued. My department was treated like children. Sometimes the company would set a goal to hit a certain million dollar mark for the month. When that goal was reached, HR’s idea to reward its corporate employees was to bring in donuts or make the vending machine available for a free soda for an hour. What. A. Joke. The sad thing about HR there is that they are oblivious as to how condescending they are to employees. Lots of drama and backstabbing amongst employees. Upper Management consistently launches & supports advertising for products that are in the initial stages of development with no foresight of when they will be ready, nor do they put a plan in place to back/sell them when they are finally ready. For the most part, the company does not promote within. I was up for a promotion at one point and was considered a top employee in my department. I was turned down for the position and was not given a real reason, aside from “you’re so good at what you already do we don’t want to lose you in your current position.” Also, on a few occasions over the years when numbers were down, instead of addressing the company’s sales team, their idea to cover losses was to eliminate positions with no warning whatsoever. I witnessed several instances where the company would fire handfuls of people that were valuable to the company without batting an eye. After years of working there, you are made to feel like an unappreciated drone. I’m so glad I’m not there anymore, what a relief!

Advice to Management

Stop being condescending and inconsiderate towards employees. Reward your employees with REAL incentives when the company has a great month. Not just once every 2-3 years with a check that isn’t worth much after taxes. Honestly, the only way to improve this company is to have a major change in personnel in upper management and HR.

"Poorly Managed"

Current Employee - Hourly in Eastlake, OH
    Current Employee - Hourly in Eastlake, OH

I have been working at Conn-Selmer full-time

Pros

The salary for most pay grades is fair, and there is typically overtime available depending on the season. The facility is close to the freeway and easy to get to.

Cons

Management doesn't communicate well among themselves, much less to the shop floor.
    Turnover rate for supervisors/managers is growing; even salaried people get fed up with the culture there and are powerless to make any meaningful changes.
    If you're part of the club, life is easy. The rest of us are driven harder and harder for more output while we watch a chosen handful of people do very little day in and day out. Anyone who tries to point out the disparity is driven out by management, the union, or both.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is actually happening on the floor day in and day out. New hires can see how the game is played within a matter of days, so managers and supervisors pretending to be oblivious doesn't hold water.

"Quick to let people go"

Former Employee - Payable Clerk in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Payable Clerk in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Conn-Selmer part-time

Pros

Corporate office was comfortable work place

Cons

No matter how hard you try, you will never get a review that gives you the credit you deserve. Raises are tiny. No tolerance. Huge workload. Took are the little perks away over the years...company picnics, food carryin's at birthdays, pension plan...etc...They threw me out like yesterday's garbage after 15 years of perfect service.

Advice to Management

Nobody would listen then and I'm sure they won't now.

"Management"

Former Employee - Director of Global Strategic Sourcing in Saint Joseph, MI
    Former Employee - Director of Global Strategic Sourcing in Saint Joseph, MI

I worked at Conn-Selmer (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was outstanding and the employees work very hard. Great workforce.

Cons

Archaic systems and poor senior leadership. This combination makes Conn-Selmer slow to accept change.

"Management is the reason this company struggles"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Location, People, History of the company

Cons

Poor business decisions by management, No opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

When employees give their all for 10 years, don't pass them over for promotions and give the job to someone who knows NOTHING about the business. Too much politics and drama for me. I'm so glad to be out of there!

"Management needs an overhaul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Conn-Selmer (More than a year)

Pros

The Music Industry is pretty cool to work in.

Cons

Poor Management skills and employees in the department I work in are belittled on a daily basis

"horrible"

Former Employee - Finisher in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Finisher in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

close parking, decent 401K without much match.

Cons

No rewards what-so-ever! As workers you get only negative communications no "good job" no bonuses any more. Never so glad to get laid off from a company in my life. Could not get water or ice from the break room between the two breaks. Company refuses to get air conditioning fixed even tho it needs it for instrument testing. Cut wages a few times and doubled wages to CCO, CEO etc. Then told us company was losing money. Absolutely no respect for workers, think we are stupid. Stoner laughs at the idea that we don't get bonuses. They promote the ones who are totally incompetent in their jobs which means management does not know how to build a decent horn--no ideas how to fix simple problems and doesn't listen to workers who know.

Advice to Management

Get down on your knees and thank the Lord for your job because He's the only reason hard heads keep their jobs. With all the tirrany be careful of work violence.

10. "I enjoyed my co-workers. The Execs need to listen more to the people beneath them."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After five years you get three weeks vacation, free concert tickets, free food.

Cons

They don't do anything about your complaints.

Advice to Management

Do what customer service feels is right for the company.

"Where to kill your career"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer Secretary in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer Secretary in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Conn-Selmer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people have a decent business idea, but they are not in a position for it to do any good or get fired.

Cons

The executives. They are financially, personally, and business amoral. They have run the business to HALF its revenue in a decade and WILL destroy the rest with their poor actions. Employees are in fear of the executives. Profits are used for themselves and not reinvesting in the business or the dirty broken buildings.

Advice to Management

Even Gordon Ramsay could not fix these executives. HE would give up and fire them all.