Conn-Selmer Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
John M. Stoner Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love the company - the management needs help"

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time

Pros

Fascinating work. Steady business strategy.

Cons

Upper management is broken. Could be so much better.

2. "15 years of WASTED OPPORTUNITIES AND MISSED POTENTIAL (You know who !)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None really however it will be a great case study on what happens with lack of oversight, no board and example of abuse of people and workforce anybody remember the strike !, brands remain resilient. ... Smoke and Mirror "get to know us" and "we listen show" with educational peanut efforts...

Cons

1. Failure to create a winning vision and culture by the "President".
    (Since I cant succeed it must be everybody else - REALLY - and then faking insecurity and humbleness shovel sales man charm!)
    2. Functional leaders are weak and surrounded by incompetent, untalented and worst unwilling to learn individuals.

Advice to Management

1. Modernize the USA Manufacturing and not just lip service for educator Visits.
    2. Move customer service to Philippines. (WATSON and Alexa would be better !)
    3. Outsource IT to Bangladesh. (India has become too expensive...)
    4. Eliminate all sales and marketing roles (Let them play trumpet, trombone and sax or golf all the time and send the N-A-Z-I back to Germany)
    5. HR will write the story line before and after the facts to cover all up in announcements, count wellness steps and use D- "transitions"recruiters to bring in A + Talent.
    6. HIRE CFO timing is everything in 2018 -- and expand Finance !
    7. Invest in bathrooms and carpets as

3. "Not who you think they are...."

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time

Pros

Great team of people who work there, except for certain members of management.

Cons

Overall management of the company.

4. "Process Engineer"

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time

Pros

Musical instruments manufacturer blending artesanal workmanship with modern day industrial engineering practices. Fun and interesting environment to work in.

Cons

Business model affected severely by world wide conditions on the same niche product line.

Advice to Management

Hold more continuous improvement policies and follow up on such down to the letter

"Believe in your EMPLOYEES and reward them."

Former Employee - Administrative in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful Co-workers --- not management
    Passionate for the music industry
    Listening to professionals test out instruments.

Cons

The Wages --- at the plant level you are stuck in to classifications. Employees not rewarded for hard work, dedication or knowledge. You are paid what ever the classification dictates. But corporate will send HR to trade shows. Since when does HR need to attend trade shows? Just a thought !

Some Corporate employees receive bonuses. Heck HR even gets bonus for a productive month ---
    But the average employee does not. Management drives The bus and sets the goals, but are the only ones who have the extra benefit from it with bonuses. Yet they don't award the actual employees who make it happen.

Advice to Management

Believe in your employees and promote from within. Don't post jobs on a board and interview people you have no intention on moving up the ranks.

Offer mentoring to employees that have potential and help create a career path. You are truly missing the 'boat' with all the knowledge and skill some employees hold. Culture would not be as much of an issue if employees seen this effort from management staff

Most management staff act as if they are far superior than their direct reports ----

I find it sad because Comm-Selmer has great potential to provide its employees a wonderful work place with an amazing culture but management is missing it all together.

6. "Incompetent Management"

I have been working at Conn-Selmer full-time

Pros

Great Name to have on the resume

Cons

1. Upper management is incompetent. The CEO makes his decision base on emotion. As a result, we have lost three great VP over the last three years.
    2. The new vp says yes to everything CEO says and does not have the ability to lead.
    3.The upper management says new culture is needed, but the current culture is established by them..........
    4. The company revenue has declined over 30% under the current management

Advice to Management

be honest and straightforward with your people.

7. "Management is trying to change the culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Conn-Selmer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Brands, Great People, Passion for the Music Industry and Education. Management is working hard to change the culture. Conn-Selmer has an exciting future.

Cons

Culture change is hard and can be painful for employees used to the old way. Some of the employees fight against change, but most people are actively trying to make it a better work environment.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. They want to be as great as you want them to be.

8. "Good People"

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time

Pros

Good People, great industry, Cool products

Cons

Poor facilities and equipment that is falling apart.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people and the facility

"Needs a change in Management"

I have been working at Conn-Selmer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has great products and a lot of talented employees. There is so much potential for this company to be the best in its industry.

Cons

Upper Management desperately needs to change if this company is going to survive. Working here is like working in a time warp. I don't think anything has changed since the 80's. Technology and processes are so outdated and the company is not taking steps to be competitive. Everyone in Senior Management is older and set in their ways. Suggestions for change are quickly dismissed. Unless they get some new and innovative people in Upper Management this company is going to slowly die.

Advice to Management

Get with the times and invest money in bringing Conn- Selmer into the 21st century. The old ways of doing business aren't working anymore. A great product is only going to take you so far, you've got to continue to evolve to stay competitive. Get some fresh, innovative people in Management that can bring new ideas to the table.

"Conn-Selmer, Inc: A cemetery for wasted talent and potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Conn-Selmer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and vacation/holiday time. Excluding upper management and HR, there are some wonderful people to work with in all facilities.

Cons

Management and HR only care about the bottom dollar vs the employees that are making them money. In nearly 10 years there, I rarely ever felt I was truly valued. My department was treated like children. Sometimes the company would set a goal to hit a certain million dollar mark for the month. When that goal was reached, HR’s idea to reward its corporate employees was to bring in donuts or make the vending machine available for a free soda for an hour. What. A. Joke. The sad thing about HR there is that they are oblivious as to how condescending they are to employees. Lots of drama and backstabbing amongst employees. Upper Management consistently launches & supports advertising for products that are in the initial stages of development with no foresight of when they will be ready, nor do they put a plan in place to back/sell them when they are finally ready. For the most part, the company does not promote within. I was up for a promotion at one point and was considered a top employee in my department. I was turned down for the position and was not given a real reason, aside from “you’re so good at what you already do we don’t want to lose you in your current position.” Also, on a few occasions over the years when numbers were down, instead of addressing the company’s sales team, their idea to cover losses was to eliminate positions with no warning whatsoever. I witnessed several instances where the company would fire handfuls of people that were valuable to the company without batting an eye. After years of working there, you are made to feel like an unappreciated drone. I’m so glad I’m not there anymore, what a relief!

Advice to Management

Stop being condescending and inconsiderate towards employees. Reward your employees with REAL incentives when the company has a great month. Not just once every 2-3 years with a check that isn’t worth much after taxes. Honestly, the only way to improve this company is to have a major change in personnel in upper management and HR.