Conn's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Norm Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Make good money if you're single, if you hustle" (in 17 reviews)

• "if you become one of the top sales people you can make decent money" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some communication issues and work life balance" (in 17 reviews)

• "No personal time for family, very long hours even on Holidays" (in 32 reviews)

"Growth Oriented Company"

Current Employee - Trainer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Conn's full-time

Pros

Conn’s is a +125-year-old Company with a 21st century attitude. During my time with Conn’s I have had a steady personal growth trajectory and have also witnessed a significant growth in store numbers. I have been involved in many of these new location set-ups and find the process to be highly rewarding.

Another upside in working for Conn’s is the caliber of individuals that I get to work with every day. They are dedicated, results oriented and team players.

I can attest to Conn’s as a great employer for career minded individuals willing to seize the opportunity to move on to the next level.

Cons

One thing that I can say about Conn’s is that the Management style is geared more to self-motivated individuals. This is especially true for the Sales Team. You need to be willing to put yourself out there and be the type of person that actively looks for positive results. Self-motivation is key, so if you are not wired this way it may limit your chances for success.

Advice to Management

I’m very happy with the current Management Team. They expect professionalism from all levels... and having been in the workforce for a long time I can appreciate this. Conn's is a conservative Company with a strong set of standards, and for me this is a big part of the appeal in working for Conn's.

They insist that all Conn’s Employees stick to the Conn’s Core Values, and a big part of which is the encouragement of Professional Development. It is their goal to continue to be an Employer of Choice.

"Constant Change for the Better"

Current Employee - Accounting in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Conn's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct Management: They really care about our professional goals and helping us meet them. I am provided with very honest feedback, even when it might be hard to hear. I welcome that feedback because I know that they give me that feedback to see me grow. Communication is open and forthright. Leadership sits with us once a month to let us know what is happening in the company and changes that are coming. They thank us for our hard work and recognize the efforts we put into everything we do. This company is ever-changing, fast-paced, and requires a lot of its employees. When the employees rise to the challenge, they are appropriately recognized and compensated.

My Team: My team is phenomenal. They are hard-working, professional, fun and really embody the team mentality. I have had a lot of great teams over my career but none of them hold a candle to this group. We have accomplished so much in the last year as a group because we are all united we common goals.

Personal Career: I have been exposed to more opportunities at Conn's in one year than I was in the last company I worked at for 10 years. If you are willing to put in the hard-work, the sky is the limit.

Cons

The benefits are not competitive with other companies of similar size and nature for corporate employees. This is something the company is working to improve - I have already seen some improvement in this area in the last year. It will take time, but I can tell the senior leadership team is committed to improving these benefits.

"Opportunity to participate in transformation and growth with a unique business model"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Conn's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This 128 year old company is growing rapidly and is transforming our approach to making the customer journey exceptional. Employee engagement and development is another strong focus along with transforming our business processes to meet those desires. It’s almost like stepping into a young, ambitious organization with the pride of our roots and how far we’ve come to go with it. Can’t find that anywhere else.

Cons

Like at any organization in the process of undergoing transformation initiatives, there is an adjustment period of understanding and appreciating change and the ultimate vision we’re working towards. It can be stressful at times, but nothing worth striving for comes easy. Working through strategy skepticism and getting buy in, prioritization and Identifying all internal talents to be utilized is a balance that isn’t quite steady, but it is improving with recent organizational restructuring. It’s important to engage tall levels to make change the most successful.

Advice to Management

Try not to panic. Use all the unique eggs in your basket and let’s all work together to achieve the organization of our dreams. Embrace insights from and the concept of “disruption” at all levels of the company to deliver the most impactful improvements.

4. "Great place for Career goals"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Conn's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company with many opportunities!

Cons

Must be able to manage your time.

Advice to Management

Must have good time management and exceptional people skills.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Conn's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You obtain knowledge in a variety of things due to the extreme workload and lack of assistance from incompetent managers.

Cons

Being thrown into huge workload with no real training and no guidance, then being threatened, belittled, written up, treated like an idiot for things completely out of your control. While having to humor your unmotivating manager and whatever ridiculous tangent they go on that day. Knowing you have talent, but cant use it because there arent any customers due to all the focus being put on promoting in texas. Plus a joke of a commission scale.

Advice to Management

Executive levels-- stop sitting on your high horses in texas making personal judgements on us and actually come and evaluate the situation here in oklahoma for a week and find out why we are failing. Realize your tearing up peoples lives when you offer them a job and make promises then turn your back on them with your nose in the air. Obviously all your threats and extreme consequences arent working because its not the sales teams fault, its several factors including store locations, no advertising, too tight lending structure ( just a little) AWFUL delivery and service experiences, untrained staff, no process format for anything, no modern or realistic practices, Extreme limitations given to store managers to provide any customer service. But yall dont care, youre only here to fill the pockets of your boys club and leave the company, customers, and employees in shambles when the well is dry. Its no secret.

6. "Excellent company to work for, if you follow the processes and do the work"

Current Employee - Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Conn's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hourly backup to fall on, rather than a draw system
    Extensive marketing to bring the customers to you
    No cold calling - only call previous customers or those who have applied for financing
    Company will look out for those who put in the time and energy
    Advancement opportunity
    uncapped commission

Cons

Retail hours (duh)
    Can be hard to communicate with upper management

Advice to Management

More peer review of management

"sales associate,manager,cashier,trainer"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Conn's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

conns has a long history and is a unique company to work for. sales man position can help you gain great customer service and company standards.

Cons

you could be the best sales person but if you want a position in management or higher apply on conns.com you will not get scouted from with in your store or district. even if you have made company 7million dollars, or your some ones kid if you want somethings go get it .

Advice to Management

wake up

8. "Poorly managed"

Pros

You can come in late

Cons

The ones cheating the system get the biggest bonuses, bonuses are never consistent and not paid when they are promised, there is no room for growth, you are only likely to get promoted if you know someone, they do not give raises, this place is like high school as far as gossiping and fraternization goes.

Advice to Management

Take notice of your good employees before you lose them

9. "Csr"

I have been working at Conn's full-time

Pros

Discounts, easy environment, comfortable area, few personal issues

Cons

Cut throat sales, backstabbing, company dishonesty, violent chanting often for the worst. Terrible training

Advice to Management

My advice is to corporate. They need to give their managers more power to deal with issues

"Avoid if possible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Conn's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, opportunity to learn new things

Cons

Negative, oppressive management; hardly any national holidays off - depressing to be at work or have to take one of your few vacation days on July 4th, Labor Day, etc.; dismal fluorescent environment; bad mojo all around; very high turnover; I got cheated out of vacation days; frequent requests to work outside office hours, all take and no give

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow