Conn's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Norm Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great opportunity to make a lot of money and gain a lot of knowledge with on going trainings (in 16 reviews)

• if you could sale you would make a lot of money (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is extremely one sided to working (in 14 reviews)

• The people in upper management roles have absolutely no clue what is actually going on in the company / operation (in 26 reviews)

1. "salesmen"

I worked at Conn's full-time

Pros

They have good training and you get a discount.

Cons

it's like working at a car dealership. There are a lot of sharks.

2. "Good pay"

I worked at Conn's full-time

Pros

Good commission based job with bonus potential

Cons

You have to work holidays

3. "Paid on commision no hourly, stressful."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Conn's (More than a year)

Pros

Make good money if you're single, if you hustle. Can get bonus if you tried really really hard and get lucky with your customer survey satisfaction (goodluck).

Cons

Long hours, no family life. Customers thinks its all your fault when delivery messed up . Management dont care if you're on vacation if you dont meet 70k a month you're in trouble.

Advice to Management

Shorten work hours..be more family oriented..fix customer service

4. "Great company- good benefits"

Current Employee - Legal in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Legal in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Conn's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great moral. Good benefits. Upper management and execs truly care about the company as a whole. Bosses understand that life happens and things come up and they are more than willing to work with you if you have to leave early or come in late. The CEO is very involved and always giving back to the surrounding communities.

Cons

The company in a whole is undergoing a massive overhaul. We are transitioning from a small run company to a large, public cooperation and there have been some kinks and hiccups along the way. Some departments are lacking the correct infustructure and support but I think they are trying as best they can to smooth it out.
    Benefits are a little steep.

"SALES ASSOCIATE"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lufkin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lufkin, TX

I worked at Conn's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

experience and working with the public

Cons

I worked for the company for 9 years and at the time I was hired things were different then it's all became about the money now. They want you to lie to your customers which I would not do they also will still your money they set the monthly goal that is almost impossible to meet unless you are one of the top sellers then the managers hand off all the big sales to you. I was full floor for over eight years and because I did not sale the 80,000 a month they took it away from me they then would have me sale items in other departments and keep the commission that I would have made what kind of employer is this they then would write me up and threaten me almost daily I am over the age of 62 and on social security I explained to them that I could not make but so much a year however they still threaten me and wrote me up I had to pay back to social security over 15,000 in a two year period I tried to explain to them that it was costing me money to work for then but they did not care. They also would take your money and make you pay for the item if the customer defaulted on the first payment if a customer pays or not it is not the responsibility of the employee the contract is with Conn's and customer not sales associate and customer. They also demand you work from come to can't and then only pay you commission but by the time I got paid I would most of the time have more taken out of my check then what I received. If you are thinking of going to work for this company think twice they will lie, cheat you out of your money and steal from your pocket book. All I can say is run and run fast away from this company look for someone who will appreciate you for your devotion to them.

Advice to Management

Treat the employee who are honest and loyal to you better and stop stealing from them

"Look Elsewhere....."

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Conn's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job. There are no other pros it just depends on where you are.

Cons

So I bring in nearly perfect inventory numbers, I am always early, all demands of job are completely done, store is merchdised excellently.....I receive NO pay raise, NO review, NO bonus because it is based on sales which I have no control over. But mind you the sales managers do. I create an environment allowing them to achieve sales and they get paid extra for my work.

Advice to Management

You need remember you have and need your none commission employes. You should appreciate them and pay them accordingly.

7. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, NC

I worked at Conn's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice management, long lunch break.

Cons

Didn't get payed that much for the work you do, Health insurance is overpriced.

8. "Credit"

I worked at Conn's full-time

Pros

Good company to work with, good benefits , good environment.

Cons

No complaints as far as you do your job right.

"Not as advertised."

Pros

Great health benefits. You truly feel you're helping people reestablish their credit. Beautiful selection of merchandise, albeit over priced, it appears to be all the name brand merchandise.

Cons

There are 2 "ringers " per store. An opening shift and closing shift. There is always one on duty every day. You will be promised an unlimited earning potential. Not so. The 2 "ringers " have all the sales tied up and will do the most despicable things to prevent you from even coming close to the kind of numbers they are accustomed to. Steal, lie and cheat their way to those numbers with management blessing. With no experience with the system, you won't catch on to this ridiculously rigged game. Management will do their best to make you believe it's all your fault for not achieving the impossible. You don't sell retail merchandise. You sell credit. You are asked to lie for a living telling customers you can "waive" a down payment only if they come in immediately. No down payment exists. You must say you're a "account manager ". You're a sales associate. You'll be promised a "team atmosphere "of sales when in fact it's every man for himself and don't turn your back. The minute you do, all your efforts will have been in vain because the ringers will take everything you've worked so hard for. Management endorsed. Dare not to offer a solution to the viper pit. You'll have a million reasons why they've tried what you suggested and how it doesn't work. They will lie and say you are on a "closed floor " and can only sell what you are assigned to so they can trick you into giving away a sale. The volume of the sales adds up to your goal. You won't receive commission in an area you aren't assigned to but the sales count. How can a sales associate make goals while being restricted to only certain merchandise? You can't. It's just a revolving door of new people that once they figure out the game is rigged, they're gone. By the way, if you're a woman, run. The sexism is pathetic and overwhelming . It's all about the ringers. They will even show you one of the top earners pay stubs as a lure claiming that's what you can make. Not if the ringers can help it. You are required to call and call and call customers that have approved credit to the point of harassment. Even denied customers are promised an approval. You are required to get them in just so they can be humiliated again or offer them Progressive Leasing which amounts to triple the cost of their purchase by the time they finish paying for having bad credit. You'll be forced to work a constantly changing schedule so there's no way to make any plans for your family or yourself. The name is a dead giveaway. ...Conn's are cons.

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth and customers fairly among the staff and stop the lies.

10. "Pay continues to drop"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Humble, TX

I have been working at Conn's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had potential for good income at reasonable hours in 2013-14. No longer the case, only company I worked for where you could sell the same amount but make less as time went on.

Cons

- 55+ hours a week
    - very difficult to get time off, especially during the holiday season or a weekend in general.
    - constant change in policies that negatively effect the customer and as a sales associate it is our task to deal with the heat that comes with these changes while corporate is out of ear shot twiddling their thumbs.
    - increased expectations but less pay?

Advice to Management

Don't pay your employees less, at the least keep it the same if you're not going to increase our pay.