Connecticut Children's Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Billing Associate"

Current Employee - Billing Associate in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Billing Associate in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Connecticut Children's is an excellent place to work. Great managers and co-workers.

Cons

Sometimes the work load can be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Keep up then good work you are doing

"So far.... so good...."

Pros

All my experiences so far at this job are much better than the last one I had! Ethical practices here at this organization are top notch, and it comes as no surprise to me that CCMC has been named a best place to work for in our state in the past. My feeling is that the administration at all levels of the organization genuinely care about their employees’ welfare and well-being. Management at this organization is very ethical and fair, and I feel like they also value their employees’ ideas and opinions. There’s none of that corporate mentality or vindictive behavior which I’ve seen at other places that I’ve worked at in the past. All of the people who I work with, whether as colleagues or in administrative roles are able to accept constructive criticism rather than taking things personally. That is always an added plus and something which I think is extremely important at any place that you work at, regardless of industry or sector. Something else which I was pleasantly surprised by during the first few months of my employment here was how thorough and organized everything was!! There seems to be virtually nothing that doesn’t have either a specific procedure or set of operation codes attached to it. Everything right down to the most simplistic and basic of operations has been meticulously thought out in advance with patient safety always being their main priority. Pay and benefits here at CCMC are just average but I feel like there is still opportunity for career growth later on. One of the best benefits offered here at CCMC in my opinion is the amount of generous vacation time offered. Even for someone relatively new to the organization, I feel like there is quite a bit of vacation time which I’ve already accrued. Of course the biggest positive to working here are the children!! Isn’t that why we all got into this line of work in the first place? Seeing all of them grow and show their strength and resilience lights up my heart each and every single day!!

Cons

Even if I strained myself to think of one, there aren’t very many which stand out as immediate issues or problems right now. Some of the equipment here could always be better and upgraded with technology that’s more efficient and modern. Pay raises could also improve a little more. Other than that, I would say there is not much at this time which needs to improve or change. Hopefully my opinion will remain unchanged several months (or years) from now!

Advice to Management

Technological advances do need to be made with some of the equipment. Some of the machines and equipment do need to be upgraded with more modern and efficient technology. Pay raises could also be a little bit better, in my opinion. Benefits offered through CCMC are pretty good, but I do think that the tuition reimbursement benefit could be a bit more competitive.

3. "Patient Access Associate"

Current Employee - Patient Access Associate
    Current Employee - Patient Access Associate

Pros

The environment is awesome. Doctors, nurses and the rest of the staff make Children's Hospital a great place to work at.

Cons

Seeing the kids struggle and in pain

"Politics have taken over"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can truly take pride in the work you do, supportive coworkers, friendly environment, managers with history in the organization seem to still understand and value their employees

Cons

Way too much upper management, nurses and clinical staff are no longer valued here (by management), consultants and managers hired in from other organizations have destroyed what used to be a wonderful place to work

Advice to Management

Start valuing your employees again and treating them with respect. Choose upper level management more wisely. Have been witness to extremely unprofessional behavior from managers but HR does not support the "front line"

"Executive Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Britain, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Britain, CT

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for that welcomes individual training and development

Cons

Small company in comparison to previous companies I've worked for.

"Nice place to sharpen your skills but not a forever home."

Current Employee - Emergency Department Technician in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Emergency Department Technician in Hartford, CT

Pros

Great environment for pediatric experience. The emergency department is very busy. Lots of opportunity for learning about pediatrics. There is also fair amount of room for growth.

Cons

The management of the emergency department is struggling. There is a ton of turnover here. In the last year there has been over 50% turnover in the emergency department nursing staff. It is widely known that entry level staff here are underpaid compared to other area hospitals.

Advice to Management

Management should consider pushing for higher wages for their staff. This would help retain some of the great employees who are forced to leave purely on the basis of making more money across the street at the other hospital.

"Working with children is rewarding."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with children, families and some of the staff. There are actual people who enjoy what they do. There is some staff left that is pleasant to work with, professional, care for others and don't value their job as just being a paycheck.

Cons

Poor management and leadership. No support from upper management or HR. Hard workers are mistreated and the slackers are rewarded. A few bad apples will cause the entire basket to go bad. If you are not cunning and manipulative, you will not survive. Witness to unprofessional and unethical work environment. The health coverage is expensive.

Advice to Management

Get new management. Time to clean house. Hopefully the new CEO will be able to get the hospital back on the right track.

"Chef supervisor"

Current Employee - Chef Supervisor in Newington, CT
    Current Employee - Chef Supervisor in Newington, CT

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment excellent team

Cons

Little room for advancement within department

"Over all Awesome"

Current Employee - Medical Receptionist II in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Medical Receptionist II in Hartford, CT

Pros

Working with kids, Providers are really dedicated, Nurses are wonderfull

Cons

Translators take talking for a profession to a whole new level.

Advice to Management

"OK Salary - Could be worse..."

Current Employee - Administrative in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Administrative in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time

Pros

Other than upper management, staff is great to work with in some departments. If lucky enough to work with an honest, hard working and friendly team, the environment is great even with horrible leadership.

Cons

No Salary negotiations considered. You get what you get, regardless of experience or dedication over the period of employment. Annual merit increases occasionally when possible, usually ~1%. Work load will increase two times quicker than your merit. Keep your mouth shut when it comes to management, and you'll be allowed to remain content within your position. Other than that, you are considered a number, not a value to the org unless you are a Doctor. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing leadership to create the rules. Actually listen to non-leadership when you ask for their feedback.