Connecticut Children's Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomas O. Barnes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time

Pros

Competitive salary. Hours that work

Cons

No cons that I can think of

2. "Very exhausting"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great facility, gym, equipment. Great benefits for further education, career opportunities and mentoring for specialized skills. Nice people and work environment.

Cons

No life outside work. Back to back patients with no planned breaks up to 8 patients! No time for documentation and no reimbursement for documentation hours at home.

3. "Connecticut Childrens Medical Center"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work being done on behalf of the Children of Connecticut at this hospital is second to none. The staff is incredibly dedicated and is passionate about protecting the well-being and health of children. From clinical trials to facilities management, everyone I came into contact with was 100% invested in the mission of this hospital. For the time I was fortunate enough to work there, I felt a part of a select group of individuals that had a "higher calling" and it was a great feeling.

Cons

Some internal politics got in the way of some of the work being performed.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace the people that are doing the work of this fine hospital and keep fighting for every single dime that will fund the good work and allow the important services provided by this hospital to continue unimpeded.

"Billing Department has terrible managers!!!!"

Current Employee - Billing Associate
    Current Employee - Billing Associate

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time

Pros

CCMC is a great name for your resume.

Cons

PLEASE READ!!

If you are thinking about billing, you can forget CCMC. The management in charge of billing are very incompetent. They do not know what they are doing, they are bias, and do not care for their employees, every one of them.

It is always the "management clique" against employees, all the time. Every day is like a sweat shop working in the billing department at CCMC, especially for billing associates and no one gives any of us any recognition even though they are short staff and you have to kill yourself everyday because they have not been fully staffed for a very long time now.

They will flaunt "one" employee that "they" think is doing good, forgetting that it takes a whole team to succeed and not just one person. It is such a turn off feeling like you and your coworkers are being put down all the time.

Management do not know how to motivate staff, they do not show you any appreciation, you cannot learn anything from them. You can tell NONE of them have not got the proper training of how to be an effective manager nor have the right skills to be a manager. They ridicule and criticize folks all the time, no matter how hard you try.

They drag people in the office for the pettiest things and the entire department is unhappy and that says something about management. Talking to HR makes no sense because they do not investigate anything, they are for management it seem.

There have been 8 people that left the billing department in the last 3/4 months, total of over 10 people leaving in the last year. No wonder they stress employees so much and there is never a smooth day, you constantly are pulling your hair out because they cannot run a smooth department, management is too busy going out for 2 hour lunches and pointing fingers instead of coaching staff.

They don't see their short comings because they are too proud and perfect. Senior manager is very insensitive/cold, controlling and just terrible, but you can't tell them that and there is no talking to them. All of us hate coming in to work every day, you have to work like a dog EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Advice to Management

Senior manager of all need to listen and treat ALL of your staff better, probably your asst. managers too, then maybe they will treat us better. Overall, you all could use some skills training, boot camp, workshop or something along those lines to gain better skill set in managing or how to treat your employees, from senior manager right down.

Recognize all staff that comes in and does a hard and honest day's work and not just one person because it takes a team to do well and not just ONE employee, remember that.

None of you are impressive and could mentor anyone because no one can learn anything much from any of you (I had to scratch my head recently, when in a meeting and the head of the billing department says that denials follow-up should do claims scrubbing, work variance, pricing, correct every other department and team's error and also do their work when do we get to actually work claim denials? and then you get on us about how high our AR is every day).

You all need to rethink that because that is pure madness. It is not fair for people to have to up and leave a good company just because of you poor managers, you all need to do better at your jobs.

5. "Occupational Therapist"

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center part-time

Pros

Wide variety of treatments, experiences, age groups, etc

Cons

The hours are not flexible

6. "Emergency Department Technician"

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time

Pros

Taking care of sick children.

Cons

As with any ED, things can get very busy.

7. "ED coder"

Former Employee - Executive Director Coder in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Executive Director Coder in East Hartford, CT

I worked at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved my job, people that worked there and also worked with parents of patients that had billing questions....working with the public in costumer service was the best.

Cons

The drive to East Hartford

Advice to Management

listen to your employees

8. "Pca"

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time

Pros

I love working with kids of all ages and this is definitely the place to do it!

Cons

I can’t really think of anything.

"Great company to put on resume--not so great to work for"

I have been working at Connecticut Children's Medical Center full-time

Pros

Well-known and respected organization to put on your resume.

Cons

They pay their executives top dollar but all lower-level employees are replaceable to them.

"Management is destroying what used to be a great place to work"

Pros

The work itself is rewarding. Kids are great! There is still great group of employees, though they are leaving in record numbers.

Cons

Management. Period. CCMC is so obsessed with obtaining magnet status and they are losing all of their most experienced and knowledgeable employees because of it. I’ve never seen such a hemorrhage of staff. If my children required emergency or critical care, I would not trust CCMC.

Advice to Management

Awards and certifications are meaningless if you’re doing things for the wrong reasons. They mean nothing if you step all over your staff in order to obtain them. This will compromise patient safety and someone will suffer for your mistakes.