Connection Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timothy McGrath

Pros
Cons
  • This spilt accounts between reps and moving forward some reps made out better than others based on their "new" book of business (in 3 reviews)

• It's a dial and smile place with lots of cold calling and little lead generation (in 3 reviews)

"It's ok"

Current Employee - Configuration Technician in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Configuration Technician in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Connection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Decent hours. Overtime whenever you want and as long as you want.

Cons

Lots of changes going on. Feels more like a warehouse instead of a tech company.

Advice to Management

Let your employees have more freedom and punish the ones that are abusing the rules instead of everyone.

Apr 5, 2017 – Marketing Programs Associate

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoy your coworkers, work hours and compensation. Our business is transforming rapidly so change does occur frequently and we must adapt ... More

2. "work ing at GovConnection now Connection/Public Section"

Current Employee - BDS in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - BDS in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Connection full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The entire team from VP on down wants to see all succeed and all are willing to help all to do exactly that.

Cons

days that this office closes should match when the Government closes not the Corporate calendar in New Hampshire

Advice to Management

Be more flexible around the business needs of each division and not just lump all in the same basket. Have the SMB people learn more about the Fed side of the business as the two are very different

Apr 3, 2017 – Marketing Programs Associate

Thank you for your review on Glassdoor. We are glad you feel positive that you are getting support from the entire team including your Vice President. While some employees work in the public sector ... More

"Technical Solutions Group (ProC)"

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Group (ProC) in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Group (ProC) in Remote, OR

I have been working at Connection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company. Much like a big family. Always something to work on. The customer interactions are the best. The salary is fairly decent and is trending upwards as time goes by.

Cons

Little room for advancement. Also watch out for their bad non-compete contract clauses. It's 18months and is super open ended. One of the most onerous in the tech industry and they flex their lawyer muscles to enforce it. If they changed this they might attract something me newer talent and some of the old dogs might leave.

Advice to Management

Fix your non-compete to match industry standards.

Dec 20, 2016 – Marketing Programs Associate

Thank you for your feedback on working at Connection and in particular our positive work culture. Connection spends an enormous amount of money onboarding employees to our organization. In addition ... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Product Management in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Product Management in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Connection full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of career opportunities within the company. Very impressive technical sales and solution architect teams. Reliable, long standing company with consistency.

Cons

Not always the quickest to getting things done. Whether it be getting things done internally or working with new manufacturers, things could always be done a lot quicker. We're a sales company in a very competitive landscape...if we can't implement new strategies or work with new companies quickly, it's only putting us at a disadvantage.

Advice to Management

Management is too focused on day-to-day metrics. If they took time to look at the the direction the company is trying to go in, they'd see they need to change their approach and make it a lot more strategic....Cold calling is not as effective as it used to be. The company wants to be more of a consulting focused organization. If we don't shift our attention to having more consulting type conversations or approaches to finding new business, we'll never get there.

"PAY YOUR PEOPLE"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Merrimack, NH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Connection full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People, Great Partners, knows industry well.

Cons

Stuck in the 1980's, High Benefit costs, Underpaid Management.

Advice to Management

PC Connection sells the vision of modernizing IT but have the sales force working on 7+ year old desktops. They don’t allow Account Managers to use cell phones (unless you’re in the top 10% of Sales Force). Take care of your people that have been loyal to you, pay them what they are worth! The company has had continuous growth with minimal raises. Lots of turnover with Account Manager under 24 months, which feeds the tenured reps new accounts.

Aug 15, 2016 – Marketing Programs Associate

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you recognize the fact that we have a great people here and outstanding relationships with our partners. Benefits are costly to the company and we ... More

"The good, the bad and the ugly"

Current Employee - Manager in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Manager in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Connection full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many of the people are wonderful. Amount of vacation time is great. Accumulates weekly and increases at specific benchmarks. Five weeks max at ten years or more. Tuition reimbursement as well.

Cons

Some of the management is awful. Micromanage in some areas but in others it's as if they don't exist. Some managers clearly have favorites who dispute their flaws, "do nothing wrong." Not very flexible to accommodate doctors appointments or family.

Advice to Management

Check in on your managers, offer required training to management on people skills. If they don't have any, they shouldn't be managing. Just because you are good at what you do, doesn't mean you can manage people. Be more understanding of people's situations. Be flexible. Allow telecommuting to save people money on gas and wear and tear. Many people are more productive in this way.

Aug 9, 2016 – Corporate Marketing Operations Manager

Thank you for your review of PC Connection. Glad to see you recognize we have a great culture and good benefits here. All of our mangers do get some training periodically and can self-register for ... More

8. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

Pros

I love the fast-paced environment. The culture is casual, yet hard working. They recognize potential and hire within.

Cons

Goals are not reasonable and often not attainable.

Advice to Management

Setup realistic goals that can motivate the right behavior.

Mar 15, 2016 – Corporate Marketing Operations Manager

Thank you for acknowledging our positive work environment, and the opportunities available for employees to develop their career internally at PC Connection. Regarding goals, the reseller business ... More

"Low salary"

Current Employee - Data Steward in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Data Steward in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Connection full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, the ability to remote in from home, no micro-management and the people I work with are the best things about working here.

Cons

Whether you're a recent college grad or have been here for some time, the salary is well below market. There's very little chance a recent college grad could support him/herself on the starting salary.
    There is also no real career path or defined advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Do a salary comparison for similar jobs in the region and pay your people accordingly. You can't hope to attract and retain talented, hard-working employees without paying them.

Feb 5, 2016 – Marketing Manager Technology Solutions

Thanks for your comments about the great culture here at PC Connection. We feel we have a very well defined career path and there are advancement opportunities. The majority of our positions are ... More

"Just Ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Connection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, depending on department. Lenient remote work policy, you never have to feel guilty about arriving a little late or leaving a little early. Great coworkers, everyone is always friendly and welcoming. C-levels are nice, approachable.

Benefits - 15 days off, no earned sick time.

Cons

A very large majority of the employees have been there 5, 10, 15 years and more. One might think 'it must be a great place to work' but it's really just convenience or lack of motivation or knowledge that there are better options. There's a huge complacency in the level of work produced and very little interest in changing in a positive direction. Old, crumbling systems and processes in place with lots of talk of change without any action behind it.

The biggest con is layoffs following poor quarterly results and holding career fairs shortly after. Doesn't inspire confidence in employee security.

Benefits - minimal 401k match, only 7 holidays, no notable employee appreciation events (unless you're in sales) <---Directors serve turkey lunch in the cafe at Thanksgiving. . .

Advice to Management

Take some of the excessive free cash flow and invest in some solid infrastructure for actionable process and revenue improvements.

Dec 18, 2015 – Marketing Manager Technology Solutions

PC Connection does provide a good benefit package. We don't understand the comment about no sick time; sick time is available to all employees at all locations. While the author makes note of the ... More

"Sales Support and technical services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

I worked at Connection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very knowledgeable in all the core technologies, sales reps appear to be tenured for the most part so they are able to handle the basic questions and rely on support for more of the solution opportunities.

Cons

They appear to be considerably understaffed compared to CDW, Insight and SHI. They are still driven by the old point product sale and miss many opportunities to expand a sale and create a trusted customer for life.

Advice to Management

stop measuring your employees as if its 1980. The old call center mentality is a dying business model and if you wish to survive you need to start managing under today's business principals