Connections Academy Enrollment Advisor I Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Connections Academy President Dr. Steven Guttentag
Dr. Steven Guttentag

Pros
  • Great work from home opportunities (in 54 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome and competent colleagues, great administration (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Some people work from home most of the week, others haven't had a snow day in years (in 13 reviews)

• Low pay, have to be tech savvy, if you're willing to work for teacher pay it's great (in 10 reviews)

"Totally duped during training, 100% a call center!"

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor I in Columbia, MD

Pros

Free coffee. Unlimited training and coaching.

Cons

Being literally connected to your desk feels completely constricting. You cannot talk to your neighbors without it being an issue. Management is entirely cliqueish and the pay is horrible.

Advice to Management

Be honest about what the company expects from the beginning and so many people won't leave as soon as they are there for a year.

"Please Don't"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor I in Columbia, MD

I worked at Connections Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet great people, free k-cup coffee, and the chance to make extra money during overtime season(the summer).

Cons

Where do I start? First and foremost you are getting into a call center. I worked at Connections for some time and can say that it has become progressively worst every year. The company is getting bigger and more known so one would think things would get better but it is the opposite. There are not enough people to keep up with the work load, more so for the busy season. Plenty of interviews are happening but once people hear the wage it is hard to keep them interested. The company is run by 20-30 something year olds who have no real experience in supervising, managing, or directing themselves, let alone a group of people. These are individuals who have obtained their positions by pure luck due to timing, needing a position filled asap, popularity, or brown nosing. Forget if someone has worked hard or has true experience. A day in the life of a supervisor consists of huddling at someones desk to gossip, sending long emails to point out one negative thing done but never the 100 of positive things done, and give out warning sheets about being a few minutes late . There is really no room for advancement. Once an advisor the typical next role on the short ladder is a Team Lead, that's if you're into being a parents punching bag and having 10 times more work for the $.60 pay increase. That's really it unless you are one of the lucky few who has "an in" but it wont really be for much of a pay increase.

If you take this job you can kiss your summers goodbye or any kind of life really. You are overworked to try to meet company goals and meeting their numbers. During "busy season" it becomes all about answering the phones and nothing but the phones. So if you are a parent waiting to have an email answered you can forget about it. The department just doesn't have their priorities right just yet and lack much organization. In previous years food would be served everyday for those working the the OT hours that changed to food once a week, then to snacks, and last to hardly anything. OT hours are 6am-9pm (at least my last time there) with half hour lunches but only 10 hours of OT hours are mandatory per week. You will be come very robotic. The biggest goal during this time is to try to stay as sane as possible.

Expect to have your calls be listened to for "quality purposes" by a different person every month on the quality team. Unless you learn to not let their scores affect you be prepared to constantly be fighting them since what they take points off for is never consistent nor make any sense.

Advice to Management

- Actually give it some thought to possibly having a pay increase for employees. So much money is wasted towards the hiring process and training towards new people who will just leave in a few months once they experience some of the work environment. MORE money is made every year with the amount of enrollments made but employees are receiving less and less. Those numbers are being reached because of your advisors/associates and the hours they put in, so how about you show them some kind of appreciation.
    - If you absolutely need to promote someone to a position they have no experience in at least provide them with some kind of training. Without training they are just making the same mistakes they observed from the previous non experienced supervisor and it will just continue to be a cycle of incompetency.

"Decent experience however a bit dissatisfied."

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor I in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Tuition reimbursement
    -flexible hours.
    -friendly atmosphere.
    -Growing company.

Cons

The pay is really low, especially based on prior experience and, the pay structure is not necessarily clear. Overworked during the busy season and not much room for growth. Poor inter-departmental communication.

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees to earn better pay, initially when accepting the position and after annual reviews. The hourly raises BARELY increase overall pay,

"Unlimited potential for growth if you're willing to put in time and effort!"

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor I in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is expanding rapidly and there are opportunities to move up. You have to have dedication and put in an effort but that's easily done when you know at the end of the day everything you do is working towards providing children with a quality education. The culture here is such a plus, amazing people and team building events. Everyone here cares. Business casual work attire is a perk. Busy season provides opportunity to earn extra money.

Cons

There are times where you are dealing with irate parents but if you have the right personality and drive, it's nothing worth giving up this opportunity.

"The three previous reviews are clearly fake, posted by HR/management"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor I in Columbia, MD

I worked at Connections Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people working there.

Cons

The fact that they had to post fake positive reviews to counteract all the negative ones pretty much says it all.

Advice to Management

Work to address current dissatisfaction rather than trying to sweep it under the rug.

"Underpaid but peace of mind"

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time

Pros

Easy, nice staff, location, lots of smiley faces, free coffee, they train you for the database you will need to use however they should also train you on How to do customer service.

Cons

Training could be way better, unrealistic expectations of what can be done in short periods of time, growth potential isn't really there, CALL CENTER, paid to low for amount of work required.

Advice to Management

Be honest that new hires will be working in a call center.

"Great at first, then a slap in the face"

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor I in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Connections Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is very thorough
    Ongoing training is provided
    Plenty of parking

Cons

Starting pay for positions is decreasing each year
    Work is extremely dissatisfying
    Senior management tends to be condescending and unsupportive
    Very inconsistent work environment - managers will contradict themselves constantly and employees will still get in trouble for not following the contradictory mess
    Applying to jobs within the company is a bureaucratic mess and only goes through if you're in one of the main cliques anyway.
    Some employees will never be fired though they have very poor performance scores and others will be fired on the spot for completely ridiculous reasons.

Advice to Management

Pay employees fair wages. The starting salary should not be decreasing each year. The health insurance plan is very expensive for employees and doesn't cover enough - improve the benefits offered. Stop condescending to employees.

"Not horrible, but a lot of room for improvement"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor I
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor I

I worked at Connections Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very thorough training, ongoing training
    A very supportive team that earnestly helps each person grow
    Fantastic coworkers who are personable, fun, and friendly
    Informal social events organized by fellow coworkers outside of work
    Not a bad place if a person is just starting out and/or would like a more rigid/structured schedule

Cons

Very inflexible hours
    Unpaid overtime is expected outside of busy season
    Petty emails sent out by lower management meant to shame employees for very mundane things
    Policy changes are abrupt and sometimes contradict previous policies
    The company boasts a lot of opportunities for growth, but I didn't really experience that firsthand - it could still be true, but I really only found opportunities for growth outside of the company
    The work experience gained is not very applicable to anything else (it's esoteric), I didn't gain any new skills or relevant experience (this is all document management and call center work)

Advice to Management

1. Rather than try to force employees to work unpaid overtime, which none are willing to actually do, offer flex time. It will improve the quality of service for parents who wait until the last minute to call in, and will improve morale quite a lot.
    2. Not everyone is needed in the phone queue outside of busy season, so offer more flexible hours in the fall, winter, and spring.
    3. Get more organized when it comes to announcing changes in policies. The fact that basic policies as to what information can and cannot be shared with certain callers change so regularly keeps even the most competent employees totally confused as to what to tell parents on the phone.
    4. Be honest about this job and don't sell it as something it's not - this is a call center job. Some people want that kind of work, some do not. A lot of people in this job feel lied to because that was not shared with them honestly from the beginning and having that kind of sentiment is not a good way to foster morale in the work place.