Connex Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Benjamin Collins

1. "Senior Consultant"

I worked at Connex full-time

Pros

Education is the #1 reason Connex is a solid company to work for; no one can argue against that. Consultants gain unparalleled insight into their verticals, Client Relations/Acquisition on management/business development, Business Intelligence on research, etc. I gained more education and experience in my years here than at any other job.

They have a very unique business model and are usually compared to companies that only do a part of what they do which, so it was valuable to be part of something new penetrating the markets. It was extremely rewarding to see the effect my own work had on the strategies/deals of members and partners I oversaw.

They are still growing as a firm which presented a lot of opportunities for self-growth and a better understanding of my strengths as well.

Cons

They are very selective with hiring choices and have high expectations of their employees which can lead to a high-pressure work environment.

There could be better communication between departments about what the constant goal of "excellence" means to each role.

Advice to Management

Look closely at each employee's strengths and their value in the big picture.

Continue the work you're doing because it's extremely valuable to both the network and the employees.

2. "Career Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Connex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are selected to go on site for one of their conferences, you will get a chance to interface with some seriously important c-level businessmen and women. This part of the job is a great, hands on approach to learn about the inner workings of the corporate world. I use a lot of what I learned from interacting with corporate executives in my current management role at another company.

Cons

Connex is too heavily focused on client acquisition and neglects the "consulting" arm of their business. This is unfortunate, because the consulting arm is of critical importance to client experience. The end result is a lot of unhappy clients. Of course, you will be blamed for your disappointed clients, and be told that you "oversold" them on the product - even though you likely quoted, verbatim, the sales pitch they developed.

The management views the staff as more or less disposable. Bullying, shaming and lying are thought to be the best solutions to any employee problems.

Advice to Management

Develop your consulting arm and take some business management classes.

"Stay FAR AWAY!!!"

I worked at Connex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not to be clichéd but honestly none.. well except for their office location.

Cons

Connex is a travesty of a workplace and needs to be shut down. Under the guise of "transparency and honesty", the management feels they have the right to belittle and harass employees. I understand that not all employees perform to standard - but there are much better ways to encourage employees. In my experience, the harassment was so terrible that I broke out into hives and developed high blood pressure induced nosebleeds from the stress of being yelled in the face for things that were out of my control. (These physical symptoms never happened to me before in any other stressful situation AND has not happened since!) Their behaviour is completely uncalled for and inappropriate for an office setting. Not only did they treat me with complete disrespect - they continued to slander my reputation months after I had left. Thinking back to it - I should have sued them for workplace harassment.

The positive reviews on this site must be fake and written by the management to boost their ratings (the management is completely devoid of any moral capability so I would not put it past them). Everyone I know that had worked at Connex, found the place to be a completely horrific environment. The biggest culprits are the two owners - Ben Collins and Andrew Johnson - who are complete crooks and basically lie to every client they have.

Advice to Management

You need to treat your employees with humanity. There is a reason why the founders of Google are billionaires and have their pick of best employees - with thousands of job applications for any opening they have. I'll let you in on their NOT so little secret... its called respect and valuing employees - NOT the so-called "honesty and transparency" mantra you guys have been following.

5. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

I have been working at Connex for over 2 years now. First and foremost, I have received top notch, personalized training which allowed me to really grow in my career and several different skill sets. The Connex leadership team (Benjamin Collins and his partners especially) is a group of extremely bright and knowledgeable individuals, and I have had the opportunity to work with each of them closely over the years. I don't believe I could have achieved the levels of success I have today, and within such a short period of time, without the training I've received at Connex.

Cons

I have to put enter something here for Cons so I would say that some longer hours can be necessary in my department. This is not true across the board.

"Robert Patteri, Sr. Vice President - The Connex Group"

Current Employee - National Account Executive
    Current Employee - National Account Executive

I have been working at Connex (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for The Connex Group for just under a year. Connex is an excellent organization with exemplary services. This is evident and revealed through the vast referrals of our recent clients as well as repeat clients. The partners exert themselves endlessly to ensure this. Robert Patteri, SVP, is my direct supervisor, and I'll say that I have never felt more confident in my abilities and capabilities as a result of Robert's dedication to teaching, coaching and mentoring. He represents the best of his kind in his value system and probity, extending himself to the Nth degree to ensure appropriate communication, best practices and (probably most importantly) client satisfaction. The employees are expected to work smart...and hard. I'm happy to work here and plan on staying!

Cons

Lots of meetings and training.

"Great learning experience"

Pros

They know what they are doing and are willing to help you every step of the way. The partners don't act as if they are better than you and they are always doing training with you to progress and make more money.

Cons

There are some employees that are very unprofessional and unfortunately no one addresses it. The pay is not great as a base, you really have to work hard to make the bonuses

"Awesome Company!"

Former Employee - Client Aquistions in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Aquistions in Atlanta, GA

Pros

From the founders, to the mid management, to everyone else, this is an outstanding company with a great offering. I want to acknowledge Ben, AJ, Robert, Glenn and Adam for the the great leadership they provide, and the many useful things I learned from them. It doesn't stop there as there are too many names to list here, but the team chemistry is top notch! Gonna miss you guys!

The Connex Group is always looking to improve with new tools and ideas. They ask for input from everyone in the company. They also suggest (not demand) that you go above and beyond your job description; this helps them identify those that they can count on for future leadership roles. They don't promote based on tenure; but on results. That means you control your own destiny with this organization. This is not the norm in most companies, and a very positive reflection of Connex.

Cons

None.* Folks..this is a tough sell, but for those willing to work hard, you can earn a substantial amount of money.

*For those of you that may perceive this post as though it were written by Connex management, or a shill, let's work on finding a way to contact me directly as I don't believe Glassdoor allows for us to leave contact info.

Advice to Management

You guys don't need any.

9. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Connex (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some fun people work with and consistent coaching

Cons

No real transparency to what the business does and how it helps people.

10. "Great company for Sales people who want to learn (and make money)"

Pros

I really liked the transparency. Hard to find in other companies I've worked at. They also teach you A LOT. I feel like I got paid to learn. Good life/work balance and a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

The commute - at least for me. That is the reason I had to leave :(

Advice to Management

Do more things that involve spouses and/or families. Even if we have to pay.

"Excellent Leadership / Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Connex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my time at Connex, I learned more about "sales" than any other company I ever worked for. Now a VP, I credit my success to David Martinelli, CSO/COO of Connex. I can speak for many current and ex employees when I say Dave will put you to work, but is working even harder alongside you. He is the most likable, hard working, and most importantly FAIR boss I ever worked for. I attribute my success today from watching and learning Dave's exceptional sales ability in action. He truly is the engine of Connex's salesforce. I strongly believe that anyone lucky enough to work under Dave's leadership will thrive and find nothing but success at Connex.

Cons

My commute was one of the only reasons I left the company. In regards to Dave Martinelli, some may say "it's his way, or the highway" which can be perceived as a true statement, but most of the time he is right, so people did listen and respected him even more for that.