ConocoPhillips Reviews | Glassdoor

ConocoPhillips Chairman & CEO Ryan M. Lance
Ryan M. Lance

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Company does not seem to be on the cutting edge of the oil and gas industry (in 25 reviews)

• Prepare for layoffs when the oil prices go down (in 31 reviews)

"Petroleum Engineer"

Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I worked at ConocoPhillips (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly culture
    Great pay
    Unbeatable benefits

Cons

Company does not seem to be on the cutting edge of the oil and gas industry.
    Large company is slow, inefficient

2. "Finance"

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

Excellent compensation
    Excellent benefits package
    Promotion opportunities
    Special recognition award potential

Cons

Big company layers
    Slow to change
    Stagnant management

3. "Senior Reservoir Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Reservoir Engineer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Reservoir Engineer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

competitive pay, well positioned to survive low oil cycles

Cons

lack of proper empowerment and unstable employment

Advice to Management

reduce endless project reviews and delegate

4. "Great place to work if your an employee"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bartlesville, OK
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at ConocoPhillips as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly management and coworkers

Cons

You get the typical contractor treatment. No invites to company events, you sit in your own "contractor" area, etc.

Advice to Management

If your going to operate using 50% contractors, make them feel like they are part of the team.

"Supply Chain contract"

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at ConocoPhillips (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary but downturn has force layoffs the last fees years. Great benefits and profit sharing for all workers .

Cons

Layoffs has taken place over the past three years. Yearly force ranking for employees. This is not got for morale.

Advice to Management

Improve your business process and technology platform in for supply chain.

6. "Has the potential to be an outstanding company."

Former Employee - Mso
    Former Employee - Mso

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, yearly bonuses, company sponsored events for families, flexible schedules, service credit for vacations, pension, severance package in case of layoffs.

Cons

Too much red tape to cut through in order to get something done.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees suggestions and allow them more power to make decisions.

7. "Good company that keeps downsizing"

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

great benefits and place to learn and advance career

Cons

continuous downsizing and miscommunication between management and employees

Advice to Management

Listen and be frank with employees

8. "Wells Engineer"

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, work/life balance in the anchorage office

Cons

vacation, political games, job movement, managers do not manage....

Advice to Management

focus on growing the fundamental business. finding and producing oil.

9. "Not a bad place to work"

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and all that

Cons

Too many management layers and stuff

"Oil and Gas Exploration"

Former Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has strong heritage assets, and may kind caring people. There are many smart talented people. However, overarching corporate vision and smart business decision making are lacking.

The work scheduling with every other friday off schedule is fantastic. I also never found it a problem to get away for doctors visits or any sudden family needs. The Houston campus is beautiful, and has excellent exercise facilities and gym staff.

Compensation is great. But let's be honest; CoP fits the norm with the rest of the oil and gas industry good paying jobs and benefits.

There is a common comment that there is good work life balance. I agree as this is the case for most teams and employees. The norm for a team is to have an abundance of team members which many get used to being able to take 1.5 hour lunches and leave work before 5pm. This is made possible by having too many employees on low activity teams, with certain select employees or teams do the majority of the work.

Cons

Politics, bureaucracy, bloated, games.

Let me give a disclaimer that I was laid off. While you may think that I am bitter at CoP for for the loss of my employment, I would have given this same review while employed if I had known about these glassdoor reviews.

There is WAY to much focus on playing the game rather than running a business. Employees and more specifically managers are too involved in furthering their career than making good business decisions. From my experience, managers spend more effort building their fiefdom, climbing upward of around than "managing" their teams, or actually being a leader. The CEO Ryan Lance and other exec's want the company to be a nimble aggressive quick mover. Unfortunately, the system is clogged with managers who are trained in the big company political system, or are bottle necked by another layer of management who just doesn't understand how this new quick to learn and change fast paced industry.

I know it is a big company and we all hear that every big company is this bureaucratic and this way. But who is saying this? Have they ever actually worked at another company. It is an excuse not to try to become better. The company has lots of potential that is is failing to achieve. I know it will never be perfect and isn't as good as it could be.

Many employees are not actually good at what they are employed to do. It surprised in every group I was in how many people didn't actually know how to do their job. These employees have been around for years and never been fired. It is astounding. And the employees of which I noticed who were good at their job were continuously frustrated. Frustrated by working with these incompetent co-workers or in a system of incompetence. Strangely enough, these skilled workers got frustrated and quit, gave up, or were even laid off. All while the lesser skilled employees remained. Many cases it was because it was more beneficial for the said employee to "play the game" politically rather than develop their technical skills. This ConocoPhillips culture creates a workforce that rewards the self promoting, deceptive and unskilled, rather than a collaborative, honest, and skilled workforce.

I know I would still be employed if I had focused not on making better business and technical personal technical improvements, but rather to have spent more time kissing up to my managers, with constant private conversations, taking managers out for lunch and drinks with them, and playing the political game. Reason is, these people are still employed and will be the next set of managers in the next 5 years... the cycle continues.

Advice to Management

For the senior executives - you may want to become leaner and faster. But almost all of the many layers of management only know how to "play the game" of corporate politics. These managers "rise to their level of incompetence" as they obviously lack the technical skills that would have kept them as a technical contributor. More importantly these poor managers lack the vision and the experience of a manager at a small independent oil company. So finally to the point, if you are a senior manager don't listen to your direct reports or the system of reports coming from you underlings. Cold call your employees and ask them what the main issues are, and look to see where the system is broken. What is actually happening day to day with the worker bees and the front lines is completely different that what your "trusted" system of staff and advisors is promoting. Reduce the number of management layers.

Lastly, review the TMT's favoritism and promoting who they like. There is another comment on glassdoor that comments on TMT's that nails this issue.

My advise to lower level management. Manage your staff, and actually lead. Stop trying to make your self look good so you can advance! Rely on and promote team leads within your teams, and pay them accordingly. This higher pay to the more experienced employees should be because they are now at a team lead status. If senior and staff level employees aren't leading and taking active leading roles, you should only pay them "contributor" salaries, just as if they were a new hire.