Conroy Simberg Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Thomas W Conroy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Reap what you sow"

Pros

1. tons of interesting work
    2. those that follow carrier guidelines, work hard and take pride in their career do really well at Conroy Simberg.
    3. Minimal micromanaging of those that keep clients happy
    4. Good mentoring by senior lawyers
    5. You provide great service and a quality product for clients the firm treats you with respect, pays well and actively teaches you how to be a rain maker.

Cons

This firm is no place for people who think they can accept a paycheck and not perform.

Advice to Management

Don't take so long to get rid of non -performing attorneys and paralegals and you should excise the people that get involved in other people's business and spread rumors.

"Chew you up and spit you out"

Former Employee - Attorney
    Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Conroy Simberg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the partners are quite good; as long as you keep up with billing there is job security. As a midlevel associate they give you a fair amount of autonomy.

Cons

No direct deposit. No Christmas party or firm team-building except for the flashy firm seminar. I left not knowing a single associate at my office.

If you like emails 5 days before reporting deadlines, copied to half the named partners and your bosses, demanding to know in all caps why your monthly reporting hasn't been done yet (early), followed by a managing shareholder forwarding the email to further harass you, then you're in luck!

Advice to Management

Stop managing by fear and annoyance. Do some nice things for your employees from time to time including social events. Set up direct deposit. It's a small thing, costs you almost nothing, and avoids sending the signal that you don't care about your staff.

"I like it here"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Conroy Simberg full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'll admit this place is not perfect, but I've been in this business for more than 25 years and haven't found perfect yet. If your firm is perfect, don't ever leave because the likelihood that you will find perfect again is slim to none.

Do you want to know how to be successful in the Tampa office? Come to work, on time, every day, with a good attitude. Do your job. Follow directions and firm procedures. Your personal business - - party planning, car shopping, fights with your family, watching movies on your phone, playing on your iPad - - should be done on your own time. Be a team player. It's ok that you don't know everything, but be willing to learn. We all make mistakes, admit to yours and don't try to hide them. The attorneys need to know so that the error can be fixed or dealt with appropriately.

PROS: Casual summer, bagels on payday, help if you ask for it, team mentality, friendly staff.

Cons

We STILL do not have direct deposit (SMH). Reviews are not routinely done on time and we need more support staff.

Advice to Management

The administrator should delegate more to the local office manager. She is entirely too busy to do everything herself.

The idea of referral bonuses to employees is a great one in theory. Unfortunately it seems like many people make referrals solely for the money, and not because they have a qualified candidate, leading to some bad hires.

I wish we could be casual all year, and not just during the summer.

"Miserable"

Former Employee - Secretary in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Secretary in Orlando, FL

I worked at Conroy Simberg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bagels on pay day, parking in a garage.

Cons

No reward for hard work, only given more work and expected to get impossible amounts of it done. Expect to work nights and weekends here. Lots of favoritism, if they like you, you can get away with murder. Otherwise you go unnoticed.

Advice to Management

It's very disheartening to be a hard worker and be held in the same regard as the bad employees. Reward your good working employees and get rid of the not so good ones.

"Awsome!"

I have been working at Conroy Simberg full-time

Pros

This firm is a great place to work. They reward you hard work. There is absolutely no office politics. They are family friendly too.

Cons

None. The only people that have anything bad to say about this firm have gotten fired for refusing to do their job.

"Their current attempts at damage control are laughable."

Current Employee - Legal Support Workers in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Legal Support Workers in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Conroy Simberg (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, really. The fighting and backbiting between staff members coupled with the arrogant, egotistical, self serving, self righteous, overwrought, underthought, and otherwise maladjusted individuals comprising the, ahem, management and leadership pool is more misery than anyone deserves.

Cons

Everything. Well, unless you're into petty belittlement for no particular reason.

Advice to Management

As evidenced in the most recent reviews, the firm is in major damage control mode. Ah, even the season of spring and its big April can't save a sinking ship. There's no ethical Coad of conduct in practicing this Kraft.

Conroy Simberg Response

Sep 25, 2017 – CEO

We are sorry and surprised you feel this way. We are known for having a family oriented environment with long standing employees who are well treated.

"Solid firm to Get Real Experience and Grow"

Former Employee - Attorney in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Attorney in Tampa, FL

I worked at Conroy Simberg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not a stuffy place. Low key atmosphere with a lot of work to get all kinds of experience in civil insurance defense. Have worked at several "mills" in the area and this is not one of them. Great place to cut your teeth and grow....only reason I left was to pursue something entirely different.

Cons

As others noted, lack of direct deposit is kind of a bummer. There is also lots of work which is a pro and a con -- but it is handled well by the firm, unlike other places.

"DO NOT WORK HERE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"

Former Employee - Office in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Office in Tampa, FL

I worked at Conroy Simberg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have none. None at all.

Cons

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A JOB, RUN FAR AWAY DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY YOU WILL REGRET IT. I have never worked at a place of vile individuals ever. Total mismanagement, disrespectful individuals, people leaving daily from all offices, prim donnas, etc . If I would have known about glassdoor and read the reviews I would have NEVER EVER stepped a foot into the place. If you are reading a recent post saying it is a good place to work. LIES, LIES, LIES. Do not believe it. Probably written by the managing partner who is trying to divert some of the negativity off the boards and make it seem that was in the past and not recent activity. DO NOT BELIEVE IT, IT IS ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED DO NOT WORK AT THIS PLACE. Every review you have read is true.

Advice to Management

Management, these people do not know how the manage. You have people who call themselves managers or are given the title based on how many years they have been there. They don't know how to manage, if they did people would not be quitting on a daily basis for all offices. If I could a rating of a zero or negative. I would. They don't even deserve a "1".

"Not a healthy place to practice law"

Former Employee - Attorney in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Attorney in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Conroy Simberg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You learn a lot and how to worry a lot. You think about work and the obsession of work every second. If you don’t you get your stuff packed in boxes before you return from winning a trial.

Cons

The firm used to have a friendly healthy vibe. About 6-8 years ago it took a tone of we don’t value people and largely is based on the inner circle management and business managers. They work behind closed doors, they promote in fighting and competition, and they yell and curse in ways that are about as abusive as it gets. The Managing partners in most offices are screamers. They only know one way - manage by fear, intimidation, threats, and try to make you feel like you are worthless. You’d think after losing very valuable attorneys they would figure it out. But that would require a look within themselves which will never happen. Avoid this pain and mental brain damage at all costs.

Advice to Management

Seek an outside HR firm to show what is and not acceptable management. Get coaches for the Managing Partners to get their emotions in check.

Conroy Simberg Response

Jul 28, 2017 – CEO

10. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Attorney in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Attorney in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Conroy Simberg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been an attorney in the Tampa office for a number of years. Now that there has been some house cleaning it is a great environment. Everyone gets along and it is a great place to learn and grow. There is plenty of work and you will never be bored.

Cons

No direct deposit even in 2017!