ConsenSys Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.3
ConsenSys CEO Joseph Lubin (no image)
Joseph Lubin
Pros
  • "The remote first culture is amazing(in 26 reviews)

• "Interesting work, flexible working, enthusiastic and motivated teams(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lack of structure makes it easy to waste your own time if you're not perceptive and attentive to the dynamics around you(in 6 reviews)

• "Some growing pains and occasional communication breakdown at the hands of decentralized organization(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Autonomy and bleeding edge tech at the forefront of the decentralization revolution!

Mar 1, 2021 - Senior DevOps Engineer in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love being part of the blockchain/decentralization revolution! I'm surrounded by intelligent, friendly coworkers - many of them thought leaders in the industry. I have a very high level of autonomy, and feel like I actually have the power to improve my company. I also love that ConsenSys is a remote-first company - even before the pandemic, everyone could (and most people did) work 100% remotely. We're also a global company; I collaborate with coworkers from France, Turkey, and Ukraine every morning, and folks in Australia every afternoon. We are everywhere! I love what I do, and I love that we're modernizing and decentralizing the world's financial systems.

Cons

The cons are the consequence of the pros. The awesome autonomy requires self-organization, which can be challenging. Sometimes it feels like cat-herding when trying to get other people in similar roles to work with you. The remote-first and global nature means that you have to actively create work/life balance. You cannot allow yourself to work at all hours of the day (because you have coworkers across the globe talking constantly) or for 60 hours a week. You must disconnect if you wish to avoid burnout. And a historical con is that it was a bumpy ride getting to where we are now. Early 2019 and early 2020 were rough - we were under austerity measures, and the culture shifted from this wonderful (but unprofitable) bohemian collection of "spokes" to a smaller collection of revenue-generating products. I do miss some of the crazy experiements, but I don't miss the drama...

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company, leads are executives who builds up & understand their staff!

Apr 6, 2021 - Global Operations in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility & Diversity is a common quality

Cons

High Turn Over during the recent years of their growth and development

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pros and Cons

Mar 24, 2021 - Director in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy, working in a cutting edge field with energetic people, remote work.

Cons

The need to further streamline and refine products and value proposition made it difficult to know where to channel your energy if not on a specific product team.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

No better place to work on blockchain

Mar 25, 2021 - Managing Director in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dynamic, and cutting edge working with some of the smartest people on the planet.

Cons

Tribal, heavily weighted toward London/Paris timezone

5. 5.0

A great company

Dec 21, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Chance to work on cutting edge tech. Remote first flexibility. Excellent networking and professional development opportunities. All respect to Joe for what he's done for me personally and the contributions he's made to the industry.

Cons

Cutthroat work environment. For every two rockstar devs or bizdev persons there's at least one MBA credentialed team member who doesn't seem to add value. Disorganized corporate structure breeds confusion and lack of focus among rank and file with regards to goals of the org. When everyone rows in different directions it makes the cutthroat dysfunction problem worse. Been ages since I was aboard the team; they were a new company with growing pains then -- perhaps they are better about this now. I hope they are, i have much affection for this org.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Alot of hype

Apr 2, 2021 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote first company that allows you to almost work anywhere

Cons

Work life balance. They provide "unlimited vacation" but the workload is so high that you can never really schedule any real time off

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 1.0

Playground for white men

Oct 1, 2020 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, remote-first, travel, you can literally make your own job up and then either do it or not! You can watch Netflix all day and make good money. Little oversight over how funds are spent by rank and file, which many take as implicit permission to make up reasons to travel abroad or buy expensive equipment. Pay is well above average for entry-to-mid level employees.

Cons

Racist, sexist, toxic work environment. CEO surrounds himself with sycophants who do and say whatever it takes to stay in his good graces. Meanwhile, those same people enrich themselves without regard for the business or the individuals who are contributing. They’ve hired white men at six figure salaries without roles or job titles, and weeks later laid off dozens of women and BIPOC who were contributing to the day-to-day functioning of the business. There are people without actual roles who make salaries and stay through layoffs. They just make up projects for themselves and convince key leadership they’re working hard by presenting PP decks. Not an ounce of professionalism, respect, leadership, structure, or loyalty to be found here unless you are a pedigreed, white man. Pay is inconsistent and depends a lot on the person who hired you. Obvious discrepancies in pay that correlate with personal identity. Actual benefits (coughinsurancecough) are abysmal. Finally, for a company whose ethos/tech is all about privacy and security, they do nothing to protect employee information. For years all employee info (salaries, names, SSN, etc) was kept in Google Sheets. Likely that they’ve fixed that, but IMO it’s a reflection of where they put resources.

11 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0

Freedom to experiment

Jan 4, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment and people. A lot of freedom to experiment with new technologies.

Cons

Sometimes it feels chaotic. Teams are constantly changing.

9. 5.0

Over 2 years in this exciting new technology environment

Sep 27, 2020 - Customer Success Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

New technology, outstanding CEO and leadership, grow through the pandemic applying necessary steps to keep the company growing in the right direction. Very flexible environment to work at and great people. The company is all about healthy diversity.

Cons

Still early days technology which takes time to the market to adopt

10. 2.0

ConsenSys

Jan 28, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance and remote work

Cons

Politics, poorly defined structure processes and roles and responsibilities

2 people found this review helpful