Consolidated Electrical Distributors Reviews | Glassdoor

Consolidated Electrical Distributors President and CEO Kurt Lasher
Kurt Lasher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "They do not offer competitive wages assuming in exchange for profit sharing" (in 40 reviews)

• "low pay, low job satisfaction, little learning opportunities" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Service - Integrity - Reliability"

Current Employee - Division Recruiter
    Current Employee - Division Recruiter

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical Distributors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CED is the ideal company to build a career. The managers recognize and work to build the skills of their teams, there are paths available for advancement and promotions, and the company itself sticks to their values of service, integrity, and reliability for their employees, vendors, and customers.

Cons

There are no downsides to working with CED

"Great company but crappy benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical Distributors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Each store is ran as their own and it’s nice to be known in a large corporation.

Cons

Horrible health insurance. Expensive and crap.

Need a REAL hr department. Their anonymous calls are really not anonymous.

Advice to Management

Hire internally for hire up corporate positions. I feel I am maxed at my current role because they don’t offer corporate positions to others outside of Texas. I wish I could move up and really show the whole company what I can do, not just my division.

3. "Credit Manager Trainee"

Current Employee - Credit Manager Trainee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Manager Trainee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical Distributors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and great co workers. My manager was fun and helped me grow and develop. independent and free thinking culture. Car allowance and phone allowance were nice perks. Travel for meetings and dinner with upper management makes you feel important.

Cons

Salary is about $15,000 below market rate. When you get promoted to Credit Manager you have to relocate. It takes time to get paid what you are worth through the profit sharing philosophy. Base pay does not increase. Some older employees are slow and not able to adapt to change.

Advice to Management

Your work force is aging and in my personal experience I see that a lot younger employees are leaving to the competition as well. You need to start paying people their market value and give yearly base pay increases. Profit sharing should be done on a quarterly basis and based on performance NOT how many years you’ve been with the company.

4. "Positive experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Spokane, WA

I worked at Consolidated Electrical Distributors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allows you to have a taste of how a business operates, good hours

Cons

You work a lot more in the manual labor side than they tell you

Advice to Management

Be straight up with prospective employees and tell them what you actually do

5. "Great Company for Self Starters"

Current Employee - Manager in East Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in East Columbus, IN

I have been working at Consolidated Electrical Distributors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The decentralized business model allows each and every branch to control their location like it is their own business.

Cons

None. It is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

None

6. "You can make money, but you have to sacrifice."

I worked at Consolidated Electrical Distributors full-time

Pros

Lots of travel, good money, challenging industry, nation wide company open to transfers and moving, flexibility in the training program, excellent professional opportunities after training. Challenging product, and sales strategy with the chance to make a ton of money. Profit sharing structure is a great concept.

Cons

When your recruiter or company contact says, "blue collar" they don't just mean hard work. They mean that their worker base is monolithic. They really struggle with diversity in thought and ideas. Almost no women in the industry. I would describe the culture as non-inclusive.

Pre-employment process includes a series of tests--a couple personality tests, as well as a wonderlic (the ones college athletes take to gauge intelligence). These scores are heavily weighted both for your chances of getting hired, and for your position in the company. Employees never see their own scores, although my scores were repeatedly brought up by my superiors as praise and as leverage. Ultimately your scores become a part of your professional identity in the eyes of management.

CED doesn't really have a HR structure. The PC managers are the judge jury and executioner. I experienced real problems with homophobia, racism and sexism, with no structure to report or seek guidance.

Advice to Management

I have many issues with my experience, but at the root of them is inclusiveness, and the structure for reporting abuse. CED needs to set up a better system for reporting sexual harassment and complaints, THEN aggressively attempt to diversify their work force. Diversity is a good thing.

Consolidated Electrical Distributors Response

Apr 11, 2019 – Director of Management Training

Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience with CED. We certainly agree that the company offers the training and immense opportunities you described. We regret to hear of the negative... More

7. "Great company!"

I worked at Consolidated Electrical Distributors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good corporate structure and heirarchy.

Cons

Long work hours with base pay only.

8. "Don’t apply unless you are desperate"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Irving, TX

Pros

Nice and talented coworkers

Cons

Too many...
    No HR
    Still uses paper for everything
    Horrible management
    A lot of lay-offs and firing for no reasons

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

9. "It is what you make it"

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

Pros

Competitive Pay, Company invests in hardworking employees, lots of different opportunities around company

Cons

Work requires more physical labor than typical desk job

10. "It's Okay"

Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Nashville, TN

Pros

-Lots of Training Opportunities
    -Long Program

Cons

-Bad Leadership
    -Low Pay
    -Do or Die Mentality