Constant Contact Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Constant Contact General Manager Jonathan Kateman
Jonathan Kateman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Enjoyed a lot had the perfect work-life balance since there were so many activities (in 37 reviews)

• Great people, great environment (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the acquisition by Endurance the sole focus for the support team is selling and not helping the customers (in 7 reviews)

• Most of senior management (and middle management) have jumped ship (in 12 reviews)

"Constant Change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, room to grow, lessons are learned quickly.
    We make it fun here. I love all of my co workers.

Cons

Change is hard. Some have a hard time adjusting to it. One bad apple can ruin the bunch.

Advice to Management

Keep it positive, share successes, focus on helping people adapt.

2. "Not without faults, but being part of the Support department was an overall great position"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere of Constant Contact was, bar none, the best part of my experience. The people there were excellent, from colleagues to managers. Most of the people there are pretty intelligent and knowledgeable about the product they're supporting, and more importantly, they are almost all amazing people. A majority of my social circle is from Constant Contact, including my old manager. Everyone's just a joy to be around, and it really shows. Customer after customer remarks how everyone's kind and patient, and they're generally kind and patient in return.

The job can definitely take its toll, but if you're diligent and hard-working, it's not hard to move up. Show that you've got what they're looking for, and more than one person has made a career out of their time at Constant Contact. It's not easy, and it's not going to always be fun, but it can be done. I marked it as a 3 because of how competitive it is; if you want to move up, it can be done, but you have to make them know you're the best choice for the job.

The benefits are also exemplary. Going into the job, I had some of the best health care out there, pretty great pay for the work I was doing, and an incredibly generous amount of time off.

Cons

Honestly, I didn't have any major gripes with Constant Contact. The work wasn't necessarily for me, but that had as much to do with my health as it did any particular portion of the job I just didn't care for.

Yeah, you'll have angry customers. And ones that are condescending and rude. But those are the exceptions, not the rule. The most annoying part of the job is that an unholy percentage of the people calling into Support either think they know more about the product than you and will fight you every step of the way, or they think that by appearing helpless, you'll do their email marketing for them. You eventually pick up on how to handle both types of people, but when you're first starting out, it can be aggravating. I marked work/life balance as a 3 because of this; it can be easy to get stressed out, which can impact your performance, and it can be an easy spiral to fall into. Thankfully, coworkers and managers are great at helping you figure out what's going on and fix it.

There's also the fact that the product itself has some weird quirks and bugs to it where, sometimes, the only answer you can give a customer is "I'm not sure why it doesn't work that way", and that kind of sucks. While the team that works on the platform is pretty receptive to suggestions, and is good at getting crucial fixes and features live pretty quickly, it's awkward when someone calls in wondering why a seemingly simple feature hasn't been implemented and you have to shrug.

Most of the cons I have, I want to note, are pretty universal no matter where you work. Unfortunately, every job will have it's blind spots, and all things considered, Constant Contact's aren't too terrible.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I don't have a whole lot to say. The management systems in place are pretty spectacular. I've never been in an environment where I felt as listened to as I have at Constant Contact. At our holiday party, for instance, our CEO made sure he not only attended, but went around and greeted everyone there. And not just "hi, how are you?", but in-depth conversations. It was surreal, dude made it obvious he cared.

Keep on making your employees feel important and listened to, and they'll keep on being an award-winning team.

"Decent Opportunity"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small team with good individuals mostly, good management a couple of levels ahead of my current status

Cons

Executive management can't decide on a direction for the company or those choices have failed miserably in the past - putting CTCT behind our competitors

4. "Great first job."

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

First job out of college. Could not have had a better experience. Excellent training program.

Cons

Competition is hard to compete with.

Advice to Management

None

"Pre-acquisition CTCT will always be the best company I've been a part of"

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers
    Laid back culture
    Tuition reimbursement
    Good benefits (401k match)

Pre-acquisition CTCT was the BEST. The people were great, the culture was amazing and it seemed like everyone really had a common goal to deliver the best product to our customers and help them every step of the way.

The company parties were unmatched, they took care of the employees and you really felt like you were part of something great -because you were. There was great collaboration in many cross-functional teams who's goal was really to help small businesses succeed.

Cons

Post-acquisition, not so much. Instead of being focused on what's best for our customers it really became about getting the most $$ from them (which really doesn't seem right considering the cater to SMALL businesses). It trickled down from the top and hit every facet of organization. So much so that most of the great people who had genuine interest in making a difference and delivering quality left in droves.

After that it kind of became post apocalyptic almost. The culture completely shifted and those that were left seemed to stay out of necessity instead of want. If you're passionate about what you do, are looking to make a real difference (and some real money), consider other options (I did and it was the most difficult but best decision I have ever made).

6. "Love working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best company cultures I have experienced. Smart, collaborative and supportive co-workers. Well organized teams and excellent engineering practices. Excellent leadership that understands the value of prioritization. Management really cares about developing people.

Cons

None that I can think of. I am very happy here.

Advice to Management

Continue communicating your compelling vision for the future of Constant Contact!

"The Company that Earned the Good Reputation is Dead"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Within the support division, you take calls from business owners that are as a whole quite friendly. Inbound calls are generally easy and contention free.

Cons

Endurance purchased Constant Contact as a talent acquisition in 2016, took all of the great management that built it into a successful company, and has been draining every penny it can from the dying company since then. It's now ruled by the leftover incompetent middle managers and petty tyrants that weren't recommended by their peers to be hired by Endurance.

Since the acquisition, the support division has been changed from a department designed to help and support the user base to a low-paid sales division. The only metric tracked is how many "Recommendations" you make, which is to say, how many times you successfully steered the conversation towards one of the many extra things Constant Contact sells and tried to convince the customer to buy something that won't help them.

Customer feedback, survey scores, resolved issues, bug reporting, troubleshooting, and going above and beyond to help people is no longer expected or wanted, as those things don't make Endurance money. The only feedback you'll ever get from management is that you have to sell more, although sales aren't ever mentioned in the job opening. If you're selling on 20% of your calls, they'll raise it to 35%. If you sell your soul and reach that number, it will be raised to 50%. If you're willing and able to say and do anything to talk someone into buying things that will only hurt them, you may even have a management position in your future.

A big part of Constant Contact's employment pitch is that everyone is promoted from within. That certainly seemed to be true, five years ago. Now internal promotions are used as carrots on sticks to try and get employees to sell more and make more money for the company. If you meet all of your manager's goals, you're only a perpetual six months away from promotion. They'll keep you walking after that carrot until you burn out and quit, then you'll be replaced with more cheap and willing labor.

If you work for Constant Contact, there's only disappointment in the future, save yourself the pain and look for real employers that will treat you well. If you're considering working for Constant Contact, make the best decision of your life and go work anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Constant Contact could theoretically be turned into a viable and successful company again, but it would require drastic changes. Unfortunately, looking at the qualifications and resumes of the porcine management team, you're not capable of righting the ship. You're the very reason a powerful and successful company is in a death spiral, and if you loved it at all, get out of the way so someone else can fix the damage caused by your greed and incompetence.

"Senior Customer Service Representative"

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Environment- Great Job Perks- Great Health Insurance- Multiple shifts- Great advancement opportunities

Cons

Takes a lot of time to advance

9. "Marketing Consultant"

Pros

The culture was great on the sales floor

Cons

New direction caused management to not care

Advice to Management

Realize what you have before you don't have it anymore

10. "Customer support"

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in

Cons

Company seems to pay less than other companies for certain positions