Constant Contact Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harpreet Grewal

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - occasionally on call for production issues but very flexible schedule (in 33 reviews)

• Free food, really great people to work with (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • New senior management seems a bit lost at times and a bit lower energy compared to a few years ago (in 11 reviews)

• From day 1 upper management will talk about all these opportunities and tell every rep they will promoted (in 10 reviews)

"Manager Software Engineering"

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment
    Casual dress code
    Flexible work schedules
    Unlimited vacation

Cons

Inconsistent messages from executives
    Culture clash with parent company
    Declining benefits since acquired by parent company

Advice to Management

The new normal seems to be a rush to get a new project done only to have that project cancelled before go-live or shortly after. This is ruining morale, there has got to be a better way to operate

2. "Inside Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people
    Fun environment
    Bonuses
    Good Insurance
    Opportunities for continuing education
    Beer cart Friday

Cons

The sales side is deceptive
    Favoritsm
    Lack of transparency
    Overhiring creating a lack of leads
    Micromanaging
    Hard to take time off
    Managements use of fear tactics
    Always feeling like you might be fired

Advice to Management

The over hiring that creates a lack of sufficient leads per person makes the job tedious, hopeless and stressful above and beyond what it could be. With enough valid leads, it can be a great job. The expectations are unrealistic without the quantity and quality of leads to make it possible. Add in favoritism, a lack of transparency, and unequal distribution of leads/lead sources, its miserable for most. People are led to believe they are incapable.

3. "Salary"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide a great work environment.

Cons

Call volumes and constant changes that customers do not appreciate.

"Principal Technical Writer"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Writer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Writer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people working on building and improving a great technology platform, very good benefits. The product is topnotch, and I love that we enable small businesses and non-profits to grow and succeed.

Cons

Sometimes meaningful changes needed in the technology stack, processes, and methodologies languish and are slow to become real.

Advice to Management

Deferred compensation via stock options were a great benefit under the CTCT ticker. Management should find a way to reinstate SO's more generally again to technical staff under the Endurance Int'l Group ownership.

6. "Don't bother"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact (More than 3 years)

Pros

it is better than not having a job

Cons

nothing mismanaged and product is awful and never gets fixed

Advice to Management

nothing

"Where careers go to die"

Former Employee - Creative in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Creative in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's very little work to do so they pay you to sit at your desk & look at Facebook all day. If you're lazy, this is the place to be.

Cons

Where do I start? Terrible managers, mediocre at best employees mostly 22-25 years old that know nothing but are placed in positions of power. Senior managers that come & go, make exorbitant amounts of money and won't even know your name. No promotions. Tiny salary increases. A terrible culture in a deathly office park. A product that's technologically outdated. Marketing campaigns produced by talentless, huge ego narcissists that are as boring as the company itself. Want to see how email marketing is done? Look at Mail Chimp. They have a better product and fantastic advertising.

Advice to Management

Hahaha. Quit? I've never worked anywhere in my career where I've been around such poor management talent. These are 2nd rate executives collecting fat paychecks to do nothing. Butt smooching, backstabbing, and politics are the rule here. If you expect to be rewarded for hard work think again. If you're not the type to suck up to move up you will go no where at this company.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Recruiter/Human Resources in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Recruiter/Human Resources in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative and Fun! Great place to grow your career.

Cons

Growing pains but overall great company.

"Constant Contact was great, but Endurance needs to figure things out"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Constant Contact about three years ago before they were acquired by Endurance International Group. The first couple of years at CTCT were great, we had the "work hard, play hard" mentality. The parties, beer cart, customer visits, volunteering events, E4E conferences, and Innoloft were all of the reasons why I first wanted to join the Constant Contact family. They also started a great program for new grads to get their foot in the door at their first job out of college.

Unfortunately, I left the company for other reasons, but a big portion of it was how Endurance has handled CTCT since the acquisition (occurred about a year ago) which I will get into in the cons.

For some other pros, CTCT as its own company is great. The people are great. Everyone is really smart and no one has any problems with helping others out. The mentor-ship they provide to the younger folks is bar none. We still get beer cart Fridays. Hackathons take place from time to time and there are some training sessions for expanding your range of skills.

Career advancement can be picky depending on what team you're on.

Work/life balance is great. I rarely got an email on the weekends, and for a majority of the time when the day is over you can put your work down and continue it tomorrow.

Cons

A big part of what made Constant Contact was its culture. We were helping small businesses work smarter for their customers and in essence made them more successful in the process. Ever since the acquisition and the first round of lay-offs you could tell right off the bat that the culture was going to take a deep dive for the worst. I don't know how to describe it, but the environment I felt around the office the past year was "dread or depressed". We lost that spark that made CTCT well...CTCT.

We closed down the Innoloft area were we held numerous conferences and it also was a place for us to work one-on-one with the small businesses themselves. It was also a place to relax, party, collaborate, and enjoy each others company.

Upper-management seemed to have a really hard time integrating CTCT with the Endurance family, because it seemed like they didn't know what they wanted to do with us after we got acquired. We were given a big project at the beginning of last year that was supposed to be delivered in three months. My team and others busted their tails off and got what they needed to get done, but Endurance decided to scrap the project. Since then, there have been MULTIPLE projects where we go whole-hog and end up scraping it after people have spent hundred of hours on it.

It seems like the higher ups don't know what to do with us and are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. We have a road map that we plan on following stating the "wants" and "whats", but they never went into the "hows". We also have shifted our focus from "Customers first" to "Make the most money". We no longer strive to be the best with customer success or support...really, we just want the customer's money now.

Because of all of the changes going on last year we have had a complete re-org almost three times. Engineers, mangers, POs are moving teams constantly.

I know this sounds harsh, but the truth hurts sometimes. If we were still our own separate entity I would have given this review five stars, but knocked it down to three because of Endurance.

Advice to Management

- Take a step back and figure out why you guys acquired us, because it didn't seem like you guys know what to do with us after the deal went through.

- Tell us "how" you are going to make things happen. There is a lot of fluff with all of the cool things we are going to do in the coming years, but never a clear and cut plan about how we are going to do said things.

- Don't waste our time with meaningless projects. Research them more to see if it's actually needed.

For CTCT as a brand - At the director level you need to have a better understanding of what's going on in your department. There are multiple people that bust their butts and are taken advantage of while others that do the bare minimum are getting promotions.

"Things have changed that was expected-BUT"

Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers- not inclusive of management
    Beer Cart
    Just started back with lunch and learns
    Benefits- got more expensive but still good
    10 year sabbatical
    Tuition reimbursement
    Maternity leave
    Adoption assistance

Cons

Product lagging behind- this decision is intentional. End of life g things that aren't supported by Endirance and sneakily pulling them out of product.
    POOR communication plans to existing clients and internal stake holders.
    Pressure to deliver unrealistic goals based on product and funding
    No culture anymore- that #CTCTLIFE spark is gone
    Employees are all made to feel replaceable
    Raises and bonuses are menial
    Layoffs still are happening almost monthly and NEVER communicated
    Org structure changes all the time to more director VPs getting promoted and announced- no little recognition any longer for career advancement
    GREAT PEOPLE choosing to leave rather than stay in this toxic environment
    Not very flexible with working from home- or they are but it depends on what team you are on- DOUBLE STANDARD all abound
    HR is completely bound by the ENDURANCE way and no longer has flexibility to use discretion in dealing with employee situations
    Constant re painting the building to reflect Endurance branding

Advice to Management

Harp we hear you saying you want a new culture but what's happening is doom and gloom-we need some excitement. Be in the office and visible stop by just to say hi to people and see how their workloads are. You are great we believe in you.
    Show that you value those that are left, there are still some really great and brilliant minds with lots to contribute. As we are coming up to review time consider those that are going above and beyond and reward them financially. Bring back ESPP so that we feel like we have a stake in our new larger company. Do what it takes to retain the top talent that has stayed for the last year and a half- they can be your best advocates internally.
    Rip the band aid off of failing products and get the replacements in market quickly, stop the death by a thousand pin pokes.
    I think things can be fixed but time is of the essence.

"customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros for this company.

Cons

Management clearly does not care about the customers or the employees. The almighty dollar is the main concern here and both employees and customers are considered to b replaceable.

Advice to Management

Can't understand why this company is still in business.