Constant Contact Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Constant Contact General Manager Jonathan Kateman
Jonathan Kateman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Enjoyed a lot had the perfect work-life balance since there were so many activities" (in 38 reviews)

• "Great people, great environment" (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "Since the acquisition, the support division has been changed from a department designed to help and support the user base to a low-paid sales division" (in 7 reviews)

• "Most of senior management (and middle management) have jumped ship" (in 12 reviews)

1. "You'll advance as far as you are willing to take yourself"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, and work environment are amazing!

Cons

There are a lot of changes, and you have to be flexible through them.

"Roll the dice!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary (no stocks though), good work life balance. Excellent support for engineers who are just out of college-- I would recommend CTCT for that group. Jeff Fox will probably succeed at increasing shareholder value if you can hang in there long enough. The product owners tend to be very good at what they do.

Cons

You will be working with engineers at all competence levels, and I do mean all. Some teams have crazy drama going on. Most of the good middle managers have left.

Advice to Management

Consider why you're having so much trouble hiring and retaining engineers.

3. "Great company going through changes"

I worked at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

The mission, vision and people make CTCT a fun, rewarding place to work.

Cons

Endurance International's acquisition of CTCT introduced a lot of change and uncertainty into the work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep working to deliver on the combined promise of EIGI and CTCT to help small businesses succeed globally.

"Once a top 10 best workplace, Not so now."

Former Employee - Software Development Manager
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager

I worked at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

During my tenure they were innovative, collaborate and willing to make risky changes in Engineering.
    Great talent around you to learn and grow your career.
    Easily one of the best places to work for many years due to the culture, challenges and opportunities to grow.

Cons

Too much mid tier management that were not accountable.
    Company became a shell as senior leaders, both technical and management, left the company post acquisition by Endurance.
    Getting reqs open, even for attrition, was difficult as funds were diverted from CTCT to other EIGI brands/resources - that were not successful.
    A bit of nepotism.. for example giving an operations manager a Dir of Engineering title/position when they've never done product development.

Advice to Management

Get rid of people managers and have only technical leaders in Engineering.
    I'm hoping they get their groove back with the new leadership.

5. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Nice people -- always ready to help.
    2. Good benefits
    3. Flexible time off

Cons

1. Things move slow
    2. No clear direction from upper/middle managment

Advice to Management

Need to set a clear roadmap as to tackle the competition.

6. "Fun Work Environment, Good Place to cut your teeth in sales"

I have been working at Constant Contact (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for people who don't have much experience.

Cons

Lots of politics and favoritism to the best salesman. But that can be expected of any sales organization. Too much micromanagement and hassle about call activity.

Advice to Management

Have more opportunities to advance in the company

7. "Not without faults, but being part of the Support department was an overall great position"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere of Constant Contact was, bar none, the best part of my experience. The people there were excellent, from colleagues to managers. Most of the people there are pretty intelligent and knowledgeable about the product they're supporting, and more importantly, they are almost all amazing people. A majority of my social circle is from Constant Contact, including my old manager. Everyone's just a joy to be around, and it really shows. Customer after customer remarks how everyone's kind and patient, and they're generally kind and patient in return.

The job can definitely take its toll, but if you're diligent and hard-working, it's not hard to move up. Show that you've got what they're looking for, and more than one person has made a career out of their time at Constant Contact. It's not easy, and it's not going to always be fun, but it can be done. I marked it as a 3 because of how competitive it is; if you want to move up, it can be done, but you have to make them know you're the best choice for the job.

The benefits are also exemplary. Going into the job, I had some of the best health care out there, pretty great pay for the work I was doing, and an incredibly generous amount of time off.

Cons

Honestly, I didn't have any major gripes with Constant Contact. The work wasn't necessarily for me, but that had as much to do with my health as it did any particular portion of the job I just didn't care for.

Yeah, you'll have angry customers. And ones that are condescending and rude. But those are the exceptions, not the rule. The most annoying part of the job is that an unholy percentage of the people calling into Support either think they know more about the product than you and will fight you every step of the way, or they think that by appearing helpless, you'll do their email marketing for them. You eventually pick up on how to handle both types of people, but when you're first starting out, it can be aggravating. I marked work/life balance as a 3 because of this; it can be easy to get stressed out, which can impact your performance, and it can be an easy spiral to fall into. Thankfully, coworkers and managers are great at helping you figure out what's going on and fix it.

There's also the fact that the product itself has some weird quirks and bugs to it where, sometimes, the only answer you can give a customer is "I'm not sure why it doesn't work that way", and that kind of sucks. While the team that works on the platform is pretty receptive to suggestions, and is good at getting crucial fixes and features live pretty quickly, it's awkward when someone calls in wondering why a seemingly simple feature hasn't been implemented and you have to shrug.

Most of the cons I have, I want to note, are pretty universal no matter where you work. Unfortunately, every job will have it's blind spots, and all things considered, Constant Contact's aren't too terrible.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I don't have a whole lot to say. The management systems in place are pretty spectacular. I've never been in an environment where I felt as listened to as I have at Constant Contact. At our holiday party, for instance, our CEO made sure he not only attended, but went around and greeted everyone there. And not just "hi, how are you?", but in-depth conversations. It was surreal, dude made it obvious he cared.

Keep on making your employees feel important and listened to, and they'll keep on being an award-winning team.

"Culture Lost"

I worked at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

The company culture was cool, so cool it infected their customers, and then customers became an amazing marketing tool.

Cons

After the Endurance acquisition, the culture became stale and they lost focus on the customer and the employees.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that employees and customers are proud to represent.

"Constant Change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, room to grow, lessons are learned quickly.
    We make it fun here. I love all of my co workers.

Cons

Change is hard. Some have a hard time adjusting to it. One bad apple can ruin the bunch.

Advice to Management

Keep it positive, share successes, focus on helping people adapt.

"Decent Opportunity"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small team with good individuals mostly, good management a couple of levels ahead of my current status

Cons

Executive management can't decide on a direction for the company or those choices have failed miserably in the past - putting CTCT behind our competitors