Constant Contact Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Constant Contact General Manager Jonathan Kateman
Jonathan Kateman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - occasionally on call for production issues but very flexible schedule (in 34 reviews)

• Great people, great environment (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of senior management (and middle management) have jumped ship (in 12 reviews)

• From day 1 upper management will talk about all these opportunities and tell every rep they will promoted (in 10 reviews)

"Ship is sinking"

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Constant Contact use to have a great culture but everyone has left post endurance acquisition and it isn't the same unfortunately.

Cons

The ship is sinking fast! Been overwhelmed by mailchimps better products and the inability to keep up from a marketing perspective. Every couple of months there is another round of layoffs and that has stripped any soul that was left in the place

Advice to Management

Too late - unless you clean house and start over completely. Need new leadership that can inspire - current team doesn't inspire anyone!

"Where careers go to die"

Former Employee - Creative in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Creative in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's very little work to do so they pay you to sit at your desk & look at Facebook all day. If you're lazy, this is the place to be.

Cons

Where do I start? Terrible managers, mediocre at best employees mostly 22-25 years old that know nothing but are placed in positions of power. Senior managers that come & go, make exorbitant amounts of money and won't even know your name. No promotions. Tiny salary increases. A terrible culture in a deathly office park. A product that's technologically outdated. Marketing campaigns produced by talentless, huge ego narcissists that are as boring as the company itself. Want to see how email marketing is done? Look at Mail Chimp. They have a better product and fantastic advertising.

Advice to Management

Hahaha. Quit? I've never worked anywhere in my career where I've been around such poor management talent. These are 2nd rate executives collecting fat paychecks to do nothing. Butt smooching, backstabbing, and politics are the rule here. If you expect to be rewarded for hard work think again. If you're not the type to suck up to move up you will go no where at this company.

"Don't bother"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact (More than 3 years)

Pros

it is better than not having a job

Cons

nothing mismanaged and product is awful and never gets fixed

Advice to Management

nothing

"customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros for this company.

Cons

Management clearly does not care about the customers or the employees. The almighty dollar is the main concern here and both employees and customers are considered to b replaceable.

Advice to Management

Can't understand why this company is still in business.

"Greedy and bit off more than they could chew"

Former Employee - Senior Engagement Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engagement Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Started out with decent pay, great benefits, and perks, but as the company got bigger, they saw $$$ signs and rather than putting the money in what they had great product and great employees, they decided wanted to make more money, when revenue figures showed we were well above expectations.

Cons

Instead they decided to raise salaries mostly people at the top, which was nice when the company was bought out as I am sure they were well compensated on their departure. They decided to go public. Then sided with shareholders instead of customers. They also added on products our customers never reallt needed. Event Spot was cool and we made it decently, but it never was a show stopper like email marketing. Survey was so unpopular it became ancient really quick. They may not have been ideas had we waited until mastered our email marketing product. We knew it was good, but knee it could be a lot better. We didn't need tv ads.

Advice to Management

I am not sure if the new management has the same vision as when the company started. I would say think small and simple. Cut a lot of upper management in all departments. Possibly let go of the less popular products. It would be tough,but just scale back to email marketing. Lose the TV ads and stick to radio. Make email marketing the best in the industry again. By making these cuts and smaller focus you will see revenue grow again. Be smart with thone profits and put it strictly into the product itself and to your employees. Put the least into ads and marketing. It's likely we used to always tell customers, viral marketing is the best marketing. Slow, but it's gets the job done. As long as the bills are paid, the product is the best and employees are happy, what else matters? Anything more is purely greed. Growth will come, but it needs to come slowly

"It just isn't what it use to be...."

Current Employee - G&A in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - G&A in Waltham, MA

Pros

People were great.
    Lots of trust and collaboration in the past.
    Benefits are perks are great for 2016.....not expecting much for 2017.
    Career opportunities are there - because everyone keeps leaving.

Cons

Since it has been bought by Endurance it has gone downhill. Yep, there are still those who say "World Domination, Everything is Wonderful", but really, all that's left is the C team. The execs are gone (unless they can't because they can't as they are handcuffed by their agreements), most of the leadership is gone or leaving and so we're stuck until we can find another job.....couldn't be more true in HR....just awful, untrustworthy people left.

Advice to Management

Decide if you really have the will and ability to go back to the culture Gail Goodman created. Listen to your people. Remember when we use to say "do right by customers and everything will follow"? Get rid of your entire HR team - they've turned into Endurance mouthpieces and are part of the problem - that starts from the "top" of the CTCT HR team.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waltham, MA

Pros

They are not clear about their product, it goes down often, customers call in screaming their heads off and we have to help them and convince them we are the best over Mail Chimp. The pay is horrible it is like a sweat factory in China or back in the old days. Nobody has your back, not team oriented, they eat and play pin ball. Nerd and geek city. The managers are liars and hate everyone if they are not keeping up with the phone calls of all the complaints

Cons

Never work there or use this lousy product

"Endurance is harvesting Constant Contact"

I worked at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Pre-Acquisition from the Endurance Holding Corp, it was a very wealthy, generous and fun company to work for. Generous to a fault, really.

Cons

The company had an undying faith that many more millions in revenue were to be extracted from the email marketing industry. Which often seemed entirely untethered to reality. The tech stack was aging. Entire operations teams needed to go and move everything to the cloud. But that was never going to happen. I believe in the entire history of the company, IT NEVER HAD A LAYOFF. And boy, did it need one. Now it got one, by way of a horrible acquisition that will harvest the company in the worst way possible.

Advice to Management

Senior management wins across the board, as expected. Gail was a super fun leader. But she was never going to make the hard decision to let go of a few hundred people whose skills are now irrelevant.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

"Now a shrinking business unit"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company, nice people, relaxed atmosphere. Pay was fair and the benefits packages were nice.

Cons

Constant Contact was purchased by another large company recently. They axed about a fifth of the workforce, including most offices outside Massachusetts. The majority of the top brass have already left with their golden parachutes, and everyone else is now sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop. Nobody seems to know what to do because there is conflicting priorities coming from all over.

All the positives you see in earlier posts should be considered invalid now.

Advice to Management

Nothing, they have already left. I hope they're enjoying their payouts.

"Tenure is a thing of the past, Stay and risk becoming obsolete!"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Drinks! not much else is worth taking about.

Cons

Everything has gone down the wrong path at Constant Contact. They are performance managing tenured employee's right out the door in favor for Contractor's and New hire employee's that are starting at 12.00/hr.

Let’s start with the tenured employee's, I have known many employees from all over the organization from training, to support to managers and everyone knows what is happening and it’s pathetic. Anyone that is tenured and close to their 10 year mark (i.e. free 30 days off paid) is getting eliminated. People who have never had issues in the past now have mysterious issues.

Nothing beats being told that you are a poor performer, however when you ask for ways to monitor your own information, your told they are impossible to provide and we will tell you if there is a problem. Do not believe 99% of the positive reviews, I can tell you this any of the true positive reviews you will see are for higher up people not on the ground floor or actually doing any of the real work like picking up a telephone.

This work life balance everyone is talking about, yeah what a joke they are only flexible when you are being paid on a salary. Otherwise forget it, call out a few times because you’re sick, you might as well pack up your bag. New hire employee’s do not even last for more than a few months. They come into Constant Contact thinking it’s great until the fairy tale training ends and you sit down to support a product that has more bugs, holes and displeasing features. You think you only come into supporting a core product meanwhile we have like 10 products. You are micromanaged to the point where you can’t even take a minute to write a note between calls. Do that too much they call it call avoidance.

Employee satisfaction at this job was fantastic when I started when the place was still small and you were recognized for your talent. Now, there are so many chiefs running the show that the company vision is lost. You have managers that are running a 2nd level technical team, that refuse to take escalations, 99% of the time pawn them off, and never mind can’t answer a technical question without stumbling over themselves. Example of other teams, how is a senior manager needed for a team of 4 people, and Constant Contact wants to know why their stock has dropped through the floor?

There is a lot of mention of Beer Cart Friday’s. Yeah this is when the company allows you to drink at your desk, there is a lot of irresponsible behavior when it comes to the beer cart and should be banished period.

The health benefits are horrific we went from 15.00 co pays to 20.00 co pays, medication costs almost doubled for each tier of drug. The cost out of pocket is almost 25% more. The company only has blue cross, maybe if they allowed others to come in or gave the employees more of a choice there would be better pricing but nope we are stuck with who we get.

Take a look at the Nasdaq and see how many people are looking at our company for insider trading, I see another bad quarter coming and there is already a hiring freeze in many departments, causing customers longer waits, and even further dissatisfaction with Constant Contact.

Forget trying to get promoted, unless your tapped for a special project, super brown nose, or clicky you are not moving anywhere in the company.

Advice to Management

Keep your tenured employees, stop the bs, ever single department knows what you are doing to the tenured employees. Suck it up and do the right thing, if we are getting paid too much and your budget is getting tighter lay us off and give us a package. Its disgusting how your treating everyone that has tenure. Gail said she is proud to have tenured employee's I wonder how much she is aware of what you are doing to your core employees.