Constant Contact Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 5, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harpreet Grewal

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - occasionally on call for production issues but very flexible schedule (in 33 reviews)

• Free food, really great people to work with (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • New senior management seems a bit lost at times and a bit lower energy compared to a few years ago (in 11 reviews)

• From day 1 upper management will talk about all these opportunities and tell every rep they will promoted (in 10 reviews)

"Things have changed that was expected-BUT"

Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers- not inclusive of management
    Beer Cart
    Just started back with lunch and learns
    Benefits- got more expensive but still good
    10 year sabbatical
    Tuition reimbursement
    Maternity leave
    Adoption assistance

Cons

Product lagging behind- this decision is intentional. End of life g things that aren't supported by Endirance and sneakily pulling them out of product.
    POOR communication plans to existing clients and internal stake holders.
    Pressure to deliver unrealistic goals based on product and funding
    No culture anymore- that #CTCTLIFE spark is gone
    Employees are all made to feel replaceable
    Raises and bonuses are menial
    Layoffs still are happening almost monthly and NEVER communicated
    Org structure changes all the time to more director VPs getting promoted and announced- no little recognition any longer for career advancement
    GREAT PEOPLE choosing to leave rather than stay in this toxic environment
    Not very flexible with working from home- or they are but it depends on what team you are on- DOUBLE STANDARD all abound
    HR is completely bound by the ENDURANCE way and no longer has flexibility to use discretion in dealing with employee situations
    Constant re painting the building to reflect Endurance branding

Advice to Management

Harp we hear you saying you want a new culture but what's happening is doom and gloom-we need some excitement. Be in the office and visible stop by just to say hi to people and see how their workloads are. You are great we believe in you.
    Show that you value those that are left, there are still some really great and brilliant minds with lots to contribute. As we are coming up to review time consider those that are going above and beyond and reward them financially. Bring back ESPP so that we feel like we have a stake in our new larger company. Do what it takes to retain the top talent that has stayed for the last year and a half- they can be your best advocates internally.
    Rip the band aid off of failing products and get the replacements in market quickly, stop the death by a thousand pin pokes.
    I think things can be fixed but time is of the essence.

"Very political"

I worked at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Smart employees, sincere desire to help small businesses

Cons

Very political, hard to move up

"Culture Changed During Acquisition"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beer Cart Fridays, awesome co-workers

Cons

Insurance was not affordable after 2014 ended, a bunch of my friends and co-workers were fired or laid off in a short period time, preceding the acquisition for seemingly small issues, horrible work-life balance and long hours.

Advice to Management

Do what other companies are doing that target millennial workforce, and offer more flexible schedules. Pay was not high enough to keep up with rising cost of living in Fort Collins or Loveland.

5. "not the same place it once was"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and interesting work

Cons

Lots of the top talent has left following the Endurance acquisition. Not the same place it used to be.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep the talent from leaving and breathe some life back into this place.

"A Shell of Former Company"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prior to the acquisition by Endurance, the company was actually a decent place to work. Support management was understanding of personal needs, to the degree that the could be. There was a strong team mentality. At work perks, (beer cart Fridays, food every now and then, random gifts), were nice moral boosters.

Cons

Pay was low for the type of work being done. I understand this was because we had a huge support team and couldn't pay everyone market rate. Product was buggy. 20-30% of inbound calls resulted in non-solutions and only temporary workarounds for bugs that had been around 6+ months. Post acquisition, Endurance fired 150+ people without looking at specifics of their jobs. Programmers revolted because the QA who tested the core products was let go just because of his title. (He was later hired back.)

Advice to Management

To Harp: Work to spin off CTCT into a separate entity. I understand the former CEO was being pressured by the larger institutional shareholders to increase profit and growth rate. However, focusing on fixing the product, instead of being acquired by a company that there was no synergy with.

"Leadership role"

Former Employee - Leader in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Leader in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture was great. Strong leaders in place who took care of their employees. Maintained the small company feel to it. Easy to get things done. It was a great place to work.

Cons

Company acquired. Most Sr leaders from CEO down were gone. Shifted from customer and employee focus to bottom line revenue. It is a shell of what it used to be. People are leaving left and right. It saddens me because CTCT was one of the good companies.

Advice to Management

Bottom line is your priority and I get that. You will continue to lose people and spend time and resources into finding new people until eventually you have cycled through the remaining existing employees. My prediction is the new CEO will not see the end of 2017 as an employee. He will be gone by 3rd quarter in 2017 at the latest as the organization will not be able to achieve their revenue goals.

"n/a"

Pros

great work environment and people

Cons

you will be replaced by interns

Advice to Management

advice goes unheard

"OK for a while"

I worked at Constant Contact (More than a year)

Pros

some nice people to work with

Cons

politics between departments makes it difficult to get work done

"Used to be a good company to work"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some smart people and lots of flexibility

Cons

CTCT used to be a good company to work 5 years ago, when it cared about what the customers needed. It had a smaller engineering organization and things got done quickly. Since then, it became too big, lacking vision and focus. There are managers managing managers with just 2 or 3 engineers. Organizationally, it became too much top-heavy, with many layers. With that too much political. Technology-wise, all the infrastructure was out-dated, there are just too much tech-debts, and the software was patched by patches. The amount man-hours spent on maintain the system is insane! There are many working groups, most of them tried to defend their own turf, instead of talking to each other, quite often you end up with software with integration problems and the interfaces were different. Now after the sell, many talented people were let go, and the reminding ones are looking and every week, there are people leaving. There is no point to come on board right now, as the moral is very low, and specially there is still no plan and vision on what's going to be done. Sad.

Advice to Management

Listen to the customers, not just talking about it. Cut half of the managers. Improve the technology stacks, improve the communications.

"Good first job?"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you read any of the reviews, if you're a drinker I guess beer cart Friday's. If you don't drink there leaves a lot to be desired.

Cons

Poor management staff, low chance of promotion from within, depending on the department where you start. If you are in Customer Support: GOOD LUCK!

Advice to Management

If the employees are smarter than management, something is wrong. Employees should not be in a position where they are training people who are making more money than them.