Constant Contact Reviews | Glassdoor

Constant Contact Reviews

Updated February 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - occasionally on call for production issues but very flexible schedule (in 32 reviews)

• Free food, really great people to work with (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • New senior management seems a bit lost at times and a bit lower energy compared to a few years ago (in 11 reviews)

• Poor upper management; Too many political situations; Communication internally interdepartmentally and around the entire company (in 9 reviews)

"Passion for Small Businesses"

Former Employee - Regional Development Director
    Former Employee - Regional Development Director

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company truly has a passion for helping the target market of small business owners

Cons

When I was there the leadership had many challenges. It has since changed because the company was acquired by Endurance.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on "the little guy" and you'll do fine.

2. "Great company"

Pros

very good environment for working

Cons

it was bought out by a company

3. "Good Work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

Pros

Good environment smart people, good life work balance

Cons

got sold to another company

"Better before the acquisiton"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits, great workplace, great people

Cons

management doesn't know which way is up now that CTCT has been acquired. No clear direction as to what the future will hold

Advice to Management

Be more attentive to what is really happening with the worker bees

"Was great till the company was bought anyway- not sure if it's the same now"

Pros

Was a great culture, fun atmosphere, and a real 'roll up your sleeves and dig in' spirit for years while we were a start-up. Gail Goodman, our CEO then was a phenomenal and inspirational leader. I was able to grow into numerous roles along with the company. We ultimately went public successfully, which was a tremendous experience.

Cons

Along the way the products expanded in scope to the extent that it seemed like we were trying too hard to be everything every customer asked us to do, to the extent that products suffered and fell behind some of the competition. For awhile before that, we had a great email marketing platform that was our core product offering, then we began adding too many features which made the UI more complex than many customers wanted. Became harder to support, buggier, and harder to use. We probably would have done better to focus more on the Email Marketing and related things. When we tried to give it something along the lines of CRM functionality we were listening to customers who wanted those things, but we perhaps would have done better to maintain the original focus, and directed more into rebuilding our email marketing product to keep up with the competition. When it was announced last November with glee by the execs that the company was being sold, there was a battle cry of business as usual out to all of us. Naturally however there was a pall over the workforce in the office for the ensuing months, and you could cut the tension with a knife on any given day. About January, the former CFO, then taking over as the 'business manager' under the new company announced awkwardly in the company meeting that there would be some 'affected units' when the sale goes through, and of course that made the worry an tension worse, but this is how things can play out in the corporate world sometimes. Mid-Feb of this year, the sale went through and immediately there was a reorganization with a number of layoffs, announced as about 15% of the company.

Advice to Management

I don't know the new management, however have run into some coworkers who say I should be glad I am not there any longer. My advice would be to try and recapture the awesome culture that used to exist at Constant Contact before you bought the company.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Plenty of nice perks (beer cart, outings, work from home to name a few).

Cons

Very few paid holidays (none from new years to april).

"Lost Job After Acquisition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a GREAT place to work until being laid off after acquisition!

Cons

Lots of the best talent cut after acquisition

9. "One Of The Better Companies In The Boston Area"

Former Employee - Custom Services Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Custom Services Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team to work with.

Cons

Growing pains as company grew.

Advice to Management

None

"Greedy and bit off more than they could chew"

Former Employee - Senior Engagement Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engagement Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Started out with decent pay, great benefits, and perks, but as the company got bigger, they saw $$$ signs and rather than putting the money in what they had great product and great employees, they decided wanted to make more money, when revenue figures showed we were well above expectations.

Cons

Instead they decided to raise salaries mostly people at the top, which was nice when the company was bought out as I am sure they were well compensated on their departure. They decided to go public. Then sided with shareholders instead of customers. They also added on products our customers never reallt needed. Event Spot was cool and we made it decently, but it never was a show stopper like email marketing. Survey was so unpopular it became ancient really quick. They may not have been ideas had we waited until mastered our email marketing product. We knew it was good, but knee it could be a lot better. We didn't need tv ads.

Advice to Management

I am not sure if the new management has the same vision as when the company started. I would say think small and simple. Cut a lot of upper management in all departments. Possibly let go of the less popular products. It would be tough,but just scale back to email marketing. Lose the TV ads and stick to radio. Make email marketing the best in the industry again. By making these cuts and smaller focus you will see revenue grow again. Be smart with thone profits and put it strictly into the product itself and to your employees. Put the least into ads and marketing. It's likely we used to always tell customers, viral marketing is the best marketing. Slow, but it's gets the job done. As long as the bills are paid, the product is the best and employees are happy, what else matters? Anything more is purely greed. Growth will come, but it needs to come slowly

11. "Nice Company"

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

1) Work life balance
    2) Tools flexibility

Cons

1) Heavy top down
    Other than that, nice company

Advice to Management

Like every market, growth and innovation is always key.