Constant Contact Reviews | Glassdoor

Constant Contact Reviews

Updated April 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - occasionally on call for production issues but very flexible schedule (in 33 reviews)

• Free food, really great people to work with (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • New senior management seems a bit lost at times and a bit lower energy compared to a few years ago (in 11 reviews)

• From day 1 upper management will talk about all these opportunities and tell every rep they will promoted (in 10 reviews)

"A Shell of Former Company"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prior to the acquisition by Endurance, the company was actually a decent place to work. Support management was understanding of personal needs, to the degree that the could be. There was a strong team mentality. At work perks, (beer cart Fridays, food every now and then, random gifts), were nice moral boosters.

Cons

Pay was low for the type of work being done. I understand this was because we had a huge support team and couldn't pay everyone market rate. Product was buggy. 20-30% of inbound calls resulted in non-solutions and only temporary workarounds for bugs that had been around 6+ months. Post acquisition, Endurance fired 150+ people without looking at specifics of their jobs. Programmers revolted because the QA who tested the core products was let go just because of his title. (He was later hired back.)

Advice to Management

To Harp: Work to spin off CTCT into a separate entity. I understand the former CEO was being pressured by the larger institutional shareholders to increase profit and growth rate. However, focusing on fixing the product, instead of being acquired by a company that there was no synergy with.

2. "Once Great...Future TBD"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact (More than a year)

Pros

CTCT was an amazing company prior to the acquisition by Endurance. The two companies are completely different in views on customers, support, and communication. CTCT walks the talk...Endurance does a lot of talking and changing direction, but limited focus or transparency.

Cons

Refer to my Pros for Cons

Advice to Management

N/A

3. "All things considered a good place to work for entry sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waltham, MA

Pros

Great training program, lots of management, coaching support.
    Easy to hit and overachieve quota. 110-120% OTE is very doable after you ramp and if you want to work 9-10 hrs/day you can easily hit 120-140%. Sometimes OT is offered at time and a half, sometimes you just stay because you have opportunities.
    No cold calling. Converting trialers to paid accounts, it's pretty easy to do and they are all very warm leads.
    Lots of managers and coaches that in my experience have been incredibly helpful and as long as you hit your two productivity metrics stay out of your way except for a few weekly check ins and call listenings. You have to hit 240 mins of talk time and 350 productivity/day for effort and if you do those things, the managers will not micromanage you. Productivity is calculated by talk time and number of dials, but if you are doing your job at a normal pace with a normal amount of breaks [1.5 hrs of break time combined in an 8 hr period] you will hit that goal.
    You get to learn about a lot of different businesses and fields and have good marketing conversations with high level people who happen to be in your pipeline and created an account. It's rare but not uncommon to have a celebrity create an account.
    Great work life balance, If you want to come in at 9 and leave a 5. Stay longer if you like
    A fair amount of free food and activities, beer cart friday, breakfast monday, lunch and learns etc etc
    Lots of room for advancement both within the company and outside [I get a lot of LinkedIN emails] although it does take a bit of time to get those opportunities, 12-18 months
    The psychology of the sales floor is truly a carrot and not a stick. You can take off all kinds of time, they are very flexible with outside appointments [even outside interviews] but with the accelerators that kick in post-goal it really pays to put the time in to maximize your personal revenue
    They really do try to work with you, I have seen a few reps who were unable to hit their numbers but gave effort and the company repositioned them to BDR and account management roles.

Cons

The sales floor is a total frat house, this could be a pro or a con depending on what you want. I have a hard time hearing, thinking and giving marketing advice with music blaring and people screaming.
    The calls do get repetitive, but that's probably every job
    It does take a while to advance and there is no short cuts.
    While there is a lot of leads, qualified leads do vary and this can be troublesome if the goal number is set improperly which has happened a couple of months that I have been there.
    Sometimes there is a bit too much psychology for me in the freebies and contests and I just want to do my job.
    The sales floor is young and the turnover is high. They want to move you either up and out after 1.5-2 years but that's not necessarily a bad thing as there's a lot of internal and external growth.
    I have been there 8 months and the floor has had 50% turnover.
    I'm not someone who needs to be externally motivated so I don't love the morning stand-ups and some of the pep rally stuff, but it's minimal so i deal.
    I have to be incredibly transactional in my process and am unable to spend the time I'd like truly helping the customers because it just takes too much time for the volume I need to get through to hit my numbers.
    There is a sales first mentality and we are pretty much allowed to say and do anything if it leads to a sale, regardless of how shady that practice is.

Advice to Management

Offer a quieter area where reps can go who need a bit less noise

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place (at least for engineers). Open to new technologies, good mix of senior and junior ppl,
    training and conference opportunities. Excellent work-life balance - occasionally on call for production issues but very flexible schedule. Above the average benefits. Feels like a young company even though it's quite established. EIG acquisition reduced some of the waste and brought a bit more focus.

Cons

Too many managers and directors. Combined with a strange org structure, this slows things down sometimes. New senior management seems a bit lost at times and a bit lower energy compared to a few years ago.

Advice to Management

Reduce number of managers and directors
    Merge Ops and Product, the current model is outdated and makes no sense - different parts of the product are in completely different organizations (each with their own agenda and politics)

"Marketing consultant"

Current Employee - Massachusetts in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Massachusetts in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Warm leads, although the number QUALIFIED leads is often inflated. Great culture! Great people, awesome environment great competitive atmosphere

Cons

Commission goals are based on projected leads. Although leads are often plentiful, the number good quality leads varies often

"Solid Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment - People are mostly happy/content, if a little listless
    Mostly good employees
    Solid pay - Average to above average for most positions
    Good work-life balance - Depending on your manager and team, an 8-hour day including lunch seems like the norm. Plenty of people have families or have other stuff going on in their lives that requires them to take days off periodically.

Cons

Slow to change, lots of legacy code
    Company vision has been out of touch with customers' needs
    Cross-team function and collaboration needs work
    "Unlimited" vacation for salaried employees (so they don't need to pay you for vacation time when you leave and you're not motivated to use it)

Advice to Management

Get all product managers to work closely with the VOC team to quantify customer feedback better. Uservoice used to fill this role, but I don't see anyone really quantifying customer feature requests. Reps don't seem to have a great mechanism for doing this, and if they do, the data seems lost or unused.

Get product managers, scrum masters, and leaders across support and operations talking more between themselves and planning more together. Fill in lower-level employees on those conversations, so they don't feel like no one is steering the ship or that it's opaque to them.

"It just isn't what it use to be...."

Current Employee - G&A in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - G&A in Waltham, MA

Pros

People were great.
    Lots of trust and collaboration in the past.
    Benefits are perks are great for 2016.....not expecting much for 2017.
    Career opportunities are there - because everyone keeps leaving.

Cons

Since it has been bought by Endurance it has gone downhill. Yep, there are still those who say "World Domination, Everything is Wonderful", but really, all that's left is the C team. The execs are gone (unless they can't because they can't as they are handcuffed by their agreements), most of the leadership is gone or leaving and so we're stuck until we can find another job.....couldn't be more true in HR....just awful, untrustworthy people left.

Advice to Management

Decide if you really have the will and ability to go back to the culture Gail Goodman created. Listen to your people. Remember when we use to say "do right by customers and everything will follow"? Get rid of your entire HR team - they've turned into Endurance mouthpieces and are part of the problem - that starts from the "top" of the CTCT HR team.

"Decent First Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

I worked with some really great people, made a lot of friends, and had some great experiences at work functions, outings, and of course beer cart Friday.
    There are lots of brilliant people working there, and those that have bought in have REALLY bought in which makes for a small, but passionate group of people.
    The Waltham office is very nice, there is always free food everywhere, and there is always fun stuff happening to engage employees.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Management is so far removed from the customer that any suggestions made to improve processes are either completely not feasible, ineffective, or will take 18 months of testing to decide whether or not it's a good idea. In that same regard EVERYTHING takes forever to implement. There are director level employees for almost every function, and more departments than management can handle. It takes days, and multiple channels to click a single button on the back end, and months to decide where to put a button on the front end.

This is a very young company, and keep in mind I was 24 when I started there. I felt old. Recent grads rule the sales floor, and last about as long as they did in their first 8am Gen ed class. Turnover in sales is insanely high as are the goals. At one point while I was on the team almost the entire floor was on a performance improvement plan and 6 months later I barely recognized anyone on the team. Competition with the satellite office in CO leads to sales rep fudging numbers constantly, stealing leads, and shady practices to get ahead and make presidents club.

I have never worked for a company so small yet so disjointed in my life. No one department has any idea what another is doing to the point that in release meetings department heads who are effected by certain product changes are learning about certain implausible features and asks IN the release meeting. There is no consensus or communication between departments and no cohesive overall strategy besides "make sure the shareholders don't get upset".

Partnerships are mismanaged, people are poorly rewarded outside of sales, the "customer first always" mentality is a consumer facing lie - more accurately the belief internally is that their customer base is too stupid to figure out the issue so they don't bother fixing them.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the front line, fire people who are going through the motions instead of letting them drag down motivation. I am so excited to see how the acquisition plays out because when I left there was so much dead weight, so little communication, and so little direction outside of "we have to close the revenue gap" every quarter that the company stagnated and lost some great talent. I stuck around for the severance check before the layoffs and I could not be happier I was one of the chosen few to walk out of the building.

Constant Contact Response

Jun 20, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Agree that brilliant and passionate colleagues make great friends! Appreciate your feedback as a former employee. Change breeds opportunity and we’ve realigned many of our departments to ... More

"Great while it lasted"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great people, pay, benefits, etc. Loved the people I worked with and I grew as an engineer.

Cons

Bought by a holding company and closed the SF office. Things aren't looking great all around any more.

"Amazing...Until the aquisition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Medford, MA

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work here are amazing. The benefits are also awesome. I have been here for over 4 years and the friendships I have made make coming to work an easy thing.

Cons

Then the acquisition happened...Endurance bought us out. Gail left. Harp stepped up. Morale is down. Employees fear for more cuts. Customers don't seem to be getting put first. Outsourcing rumors are high. Our great culture is hanging on by a thread but only because the employees that still remain are trying harder to than ever to hold on to it. I miss the old. Hate the new and I'm hoping that this is just a phase.

Advice to Management

Bring back "Gail". Not physically because I know that's not in the question. Just bring back enthusiasm, celebrations and the amazing culture that this company was built on. DO NOT OUTSOURCE. "Customer's First Always"

Constant Contact Response

Jun 13, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

We think the people here are amazing too! As you know, we make a point to hire “seriously awesome people” so please know that you’re empowered to help us preserve the Constant Contact culture while ... More