Constellation Wines Reviews | Glassdoor

Constellation Wines Reviews

Updated 17 Sep 2015

Found 21 reviews

2.5
Constellation Wines CEO John A. (Jay) Wright (no image)
John A. (Jay) Wright

"Excellent company, good benefits, fair pay."

Current Employee - Operations in Canandaigua, NY

I have been working at Constellation Wines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and bonus program. Competitive wages. Excellent senior leadership. Get results while being respectful, calm culture. Ops Senior Leadership is phenomenal. Best mentoring, freedom to try new things and leadership I have ever experienced.

Cons

More opportunity for training/developing employees. Pockets of management can be clicky and outside the standards of company culture and allowed to continue.

Advice to Management

Rotate your managers once a year to teach them different areas of the business, build respect for their peers and maybe uncover issues that would have not been discovered without the change.

Constellation Wines2013-07-24

"Typical Dysfunctional Big Company"

I worked at Constellation Wines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits. The Operations folks (winemakers, bottlers, ...) are a good bunch.

Cons

Very short term focus. Restructure regularly. Constant pressure to meet quarterly numbers. The standing joke was the the first thing they taught new HR hires was to memorize the following greeting: "Welcome to the Constellation family! Now, let's talk about your severance package." Lots of office politics. HQ in NY will micromanage you then blame you when things go wrong.

Advice to Management

A good 401k matching doesn't do employees a lot of good if you likely will be restructured out of a job before it's vested.

Constellation Wines2015-09-17

"STAY AWAY"

I have been working at Constellation Wines

Pros

There are a few nice people in the organization that really do care about what they do.

Cons

It's a political game. Catty woman-run organization.

Constellation Wines2014-03-06
  4. "Winemaking by bean counters!"

I worked at Constellation Wines

Pros

Decent benefits, fair pay, and I was lucky to have managers who had my back.

Cons

Very little respect by upper management for the lowest level employees.

Advice to Management

Learn to take constructive criticism. Just because one style works for fortified wine production doesn't mean that will translate to the fine wine world.

Constellation Wines2014-02-12
  5. "Nice employees"

in Napa, CA

I worked at Constellation Wines for more than a year

Pros

Good environment in which to learn

Cons

Somewhat disorganized in their approach

Constellation Wines2013-06-13

"Miserable leadership & low caliber of employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Constellation Wines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They own some popular wine brands, so you will be popular with friends who want to buy wine at a 50% discount through their corporate wine site.

Cons

Idiots run the asylum. HR is the most unethical bunch of cronies. The HR Director was recruited by the CMO on her Facebook page, public for all to see and everyone did see. This was done while there was another HR Director already in that role that they were trying to fire. That type of classy behavior runs rampant. The HR Director also speaks out of both sides of her mouth and clearly speaks when she shouldn't.... Can't keep a secret. The backstabbing is out of control, and the worst I've ever witnessed in a company. Don't come here expecting to move up the ranks. The top level positions are all filled with white men....an old boys network is definitely in place here. Some of the men are complete morons too and why they get promoted mystifies most . They don't encourage a healthy lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Widen the dialogue to include those who are not white males.

Constellation Wines2013-03-27

"Stay Away! Company doesn't care about its employees."

Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Constellation Wines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Basically the only wine company based in SF (move to Napa if you can).

Cons

- The people are big back stabbers. Don't trust anyone. Even the Director of HR couldn't keep quiet when they were in the process of firing a VP. Everyone in the office knew about it before it happened...I don't call that respect or confidentiality. For a company that is so focused on policy and rules, maybe HR should take a look at the handbook. - Listen to the other reviews - absolutely NO room for promotion.... They end up bringing in outside people to do the job you could have done with your eyes closed (or most likely were doing with your eyes closed for the past 10 months while they were once again "restructuring"). - Poor pay. They don't give raises unless you are promoted (which if you read point one, they don't).

Advice to Management

Promote from within, evaluate the skills of senior leadership.

Constellation Wines2012-09-29

"A good group to work for"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Constellation Wines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people on the spirits team were a good group to work for The company had a lot of team building and events for their people Insurance benefits were top notch Stock options

Cons

Layoff's of the entire spirits division Micromanagement

Constellation Wines2012-07-17

"Not a bad place to work but there is absolutely no room for career development."

Associate Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Constellation Wines

Pros

Good work/life balance and decent benefits.

Cons

No room for career development and poor compensation.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate organization changes and please don't encourage people to join this organization with the hope that they will move up.

Constellation Wines2012-02-29

"My position became just a paycheck to me at Constellation."

in Canandaigua, NY

I worked at Constellation Wines

Pros

for the area, pay and benefits are pretty much unmatched. At least once a week, there is a tasting and you get to sample new products, or do a taste testing for developing products. There is opportunity for education both on the company intranet and through outside sources.

Cons

After working there many years, and being one of the more tenured team members, I saw the morale come to devasting low levels, the stress increase exponentially, and those fresh out of college and/or the 'favorites of management' being promoted ahead of those with experience and loyalty to the company. There is a culture of favoritism that is disheartening. When you see MULTIPLE people taking medical leave for... stress, you know something is rotten. Don't even think about offering solutions to issues that differ in opinion to the management - you'll get either ignored for future conversations or reprimanded. I routinely saw co-workers in the bathroom for 'intestinal upset', people crying at their desks. My job became merely a means of financial survival. Now that I am out of the company I am happier, healthier, and yes, while making less at my current job, feel a satisfaction that I had not had in years with Constellation. There is LIFE after CWUS, and it's a better one.

Advice to Management

Upper management creates a bottom line for each quarter without seriously considering how it's going to get there. Good people have been cut, and their workload split up among the remaining. You can't get blood from a stone. We can have all the flowery speeches and rah rah sessions in the world, but employees would rather have the support of management rather than being told to suck it up, because there are figures... to be met. Jay Wright is a brilliant, likeable man. I do think he has the ability to improve the morale, but he has to be given good information, not be told what those in self-preservation mode think he needs to hear.

Constellation Wines2011-12-02