Consumer Media Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrick Gavin

1. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

great benefits, fully stocked fridge. Catered breakfast every Monday morning.

Cons

Really don't have any complaints. Awesome place to work. Great environment and people.

2. "Great people, solid business plan."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office environment is laid-back and casual. Great team members make coming to work enjoyable. Frequent office happy hours, in-office snacks, soda, and occasional office lunches are awesome. Solid business plan and future outlook. Opportunities to rise and contribute to multiple projects, excellent leadership for teams.

Cons

The company is split in to a few different offices, with content and marketing in Seattle while development and accounting is in Houston. Requires some flexibility to adjust to the different schedules, luckily they've got lots of tools to make remote work easier.

Advice to Management

Create clear career paths for current employees who are looking to grow with the company and expand their skill-set. Provide an easier transfer option between teams.

"Play hard... and get downsized"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoy playing at work? There's a ping pong table and video games in the break room, along with donuts fresh from Shipley each Friday. They even have MarioKart tournaments periodically.

Cons

Even if you work hard and avoid playing hard, you will still likely be downsized and your job outsourced. Who knows, maybe they would've kept our team if each of us put in 40+ hours on MarioKart instead of actual work. At least the pay was relatively good while it lasted. A previous reviewer said, "One day you can walk into work and a whole team could get fired (it happened)." Yeah, that was me and the team I was on (SEO). I hear the writing team got downsized after us as well.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring 20-30 people and having to subsequently let them go 10 months later, why don't you slow down, take a look at how fishy your processes seem, and do more honest work? I've never seen such fake SEO in my life. I honestly felt like I was working for an extremely dishonest company.

5. "Wonderful opportunity for a mid/senior developer"

Former Employee - Back-End Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Back-End Developer in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexible time schedule, ability to work remotely, team leader that pushes for newer (but proven) technologies, team meetup/sprints, happy hours, dedication to open source, superb development and deployment workflow

Cons

office politics can often waste valuable development time, departments blame each other for faults and often try to "take over control" in order to have more influence

"Agile business model, opportunity for advancement, and the people are motivated & talented."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

This is an interesting company to work for. The business model is pretty complex and is dependent on an online marketing/content creation team on one hand, and an on-the-ground sales team, on the other.

The online marketing side of the business revolves around earning web visibility for our content, which is produced in-house by a talented research & editorial team. The sales team uses traffic generated by content & marketing to help schools like Temple University increase enrollments. This is not the whole picture of course, but enough to give you a broad sense of what the company does.

I started here as an intern. Three months later they offered me a full-time salaried position with great benefits. I'm now a junior member of the marketing team, and I'm constantly given opportunities to learn more and take the lead on projects that interest me.

The atmosphere is relaxed, and management is always seeking input from employees. If you have a good idea, they want to hear it, whether you're an intern or a senior team member.

What I love about this place is that seniority isn't the primary way that employees can advance, as in many companies. Regardless of how long you've been here, you have the chance to prove yourself by performing well, engaging with your team, and innovating. I appreciate that ideas and performance are valued above office politics (which there's very little of here - another bonus).

If I were asked to apply a cliche to the company's style, I'd say "Work hard, play hard."

Cons

The main challenge of working for CMN is the sheer volume of work there is to be done. This is by no means an easy job. We have a fairly small core team, and we produce a tremendous amount of commercial content at scale, so it's not surprising that we face challenges with workflow. Management is aware of this, and I think most of us are committed to increasing the company's efficiency wherever/whenever possible.

7. "Fast-paced and challenging with many rewards"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

CMN was a great place to gain a lot of experience early into my career. Since it's small and growing, there's a lot of opportunity to advance within the company structure as well as try new things. There's a lot of encouragement and support from the executive team to stay current with the latest skills and best practices, so there's always room to learn and develop skills that are in high demand. The company does not hesitate to invest in new tools or resources to help you do your job better.

They offer excellent salary, benefits, and perks and a lot of flexibility around working from home.

It's a very social company; lots of events and camaraderie.

Cons

Longterm strategy and plans waver which leads to a lot of pivoting and sometimes frustration. Can be stressful at times due to the fast-paced nature of the business.

8. "Opportunities available for those who pursue it"

Former Employee - Monetization Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Monetization Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

Great people, great benefits! The company culture is great - good pay, benefits and perks. Being part of the management team, they're big on "team building" and going on work trips not only to network, but to also keep us close-knit. There's a ping pong table, video game consoles, and a "cafeteria" area for employees to take breaks during our busy days.

As with most other companies, there is no tier for salary. You must work for it and you'll be rewarded for your work. I've had 3 promotions during my time there and great salary increases to complement each one. My ideas were always considered, and they were very encouraging when it came to learning and improving my professional skill set.

Work/life balance is fantastic! Unless there are pressing issues or you simply want to finish something that you had been working on, you won't find yourself taking your work home or on the weekend (as many of my friends have had to do, sometimes until 2am!).

Cons

With several young employees, it can make the environment extremely fun or very hostile - depending on who you work with. There are many young managers whose ideas collide and instead of working together to come to a solution, they're set on making themselves the "right" one. And sometimes, you'll find yourself caught in the middle of an immature battle.

There is no real company structure. So, where you're headed in the company, where you want to go, and what you do is all up to you - this can be seen as a good thing for many, and bad for others.

"Great, Flexible Place to work"

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can work remotely/from home
    Great pay and benefits
    Challenging work
    Fun, amicable work environment

Cons

Lots of changes to keep up with new Google rankings which can be daunting if you've carely just gotten used to the last change.
    Writer's names don't always appear on work

"Poor management, poor company culture"

Former Employee - Writer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work-life balance, ability to work from home when necessary, decent compensation/benefits and a few hardworking, genuinely nice people. Although I can't say the presence of a ping-pong table made me giddy and giggly on the way to work each morning.

Cons

I can only write about my time at CMN. I have no idea how it operates now. I know the place has to keep shifting shapes to survive, which should be an obvious red flag to anyone who's considering employment there. I'll put it this way: I wasn't proud to work at the company.

For me, the job was pretty unfulfilling. We didn't create anything tangible or useful. As I think it was said in another review, the goal essentially was to trick Google into ranking the sites highly so we could effectively generate leads for online colleges and insurance companies--definitely two wholesome industries. Writers, for the most part, wrote lightly researched material on subjects in which they weren't experts. The goal was to pump out as much content as possible. Quantity over quality, which I'm sure didn't endear the company to Google. In other words, the content wasn't anything you'd want to attach your name to, so I'm not complaining about there being no bylines—in fact, some were using pseudonyms that probably came from a name generator.

The ping-pong table, lime green walls, ability to wear workout clothes/pajamas/cowboy costumes to work, and happy hours were distractions meant to compensate for the unpleasant nature of the work. This was enough to keep some people happy, especially those who didn't seem to realize they were in a workplace. The lack of professionalism resulted in all kinds of child-like drama, especially for the two attention-starved people with whom I had the misfortune of being hired. People like that, who didn't have much going on outside of work, thrived on (and created) the BS that happened with their coworkers.

CMN exemplified why work and personal life shouldn't substitute for each other, and why it should always be a priority by management to establish some level of professionalism. Making writers (or whomever else) fill out a spreadsheet tracking their work progress doesn't matter when A) the work feels pointless and B) the people aren't there to work in the first place (Hey, you've got Mario Kart, gossip, trash-talking, etc.). Honestly, though, that aspect is probably better now since the company is smaller and the immature ones were let go.

Most of the problems with this company were either direct or indirect results of substandard leadership. Most of management was inexperienced in their positions and not very decisive or assertive. When Google made dramatic changes, management failed to properly adjust, leaving the company to languish until layoffs occurred. Over the course of a year, a team of roughly 30 writers was let go. Before that, an SEO team half that size was let go less than a year after it was first formed. All in all, I'm surprised this place is still around.

Advice to Management

Go to a school of management. Hire grown-ups.

11. "Excellent atmosphere, great work with lots of flexibility"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team and atmosphere is excellent...the best I've ever had. As a developer, you're allowed to use top-notch technologies with the flexibility to use the right tool for the job. The work is fun and fast-paced, but mostly fast-paced because again, you're allowed to use tools that help productivity instead of hinder it. Dev Ops practices make releases a breeze.

I'm not sure what the other commenters on here are talking about, but I think they must have left the company during the google 2.0 transition which had every SEO-driven company scrambling. I joined after the company adjusted their strategies to google 2.0 and they're focused, driving and succeeding. Haven't encountered any black hat tactics since being here either.

Cons

Working with a partially distributed team might not be ideal for everybody. I happen to love it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!