Consumer Media Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Patrick Gavin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "negative reviews are old employees. terrific place to work."

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

This company genuinely does care about it's employees, the perks of working here range from Monday Morning Breakfasts to amazing healthcare and WFH perks. Bi-weekly meetings with your manager to keep you on track. Management style : "we don't care what you do as long as you get your work done".

You'll make friends here. It's a supportive workplace and it's not uncommon to regularly hang out with your coworkers outside of work. It is an extremely young office. With all the 2017 hires, I'd place the average age around 27.

A great business outlook, a company that keeps up with the ever-changing world of SEO.

Cons

Tech teams are treated like gods, but the other teams are often neglected. The executives are all wonderful people but there is definite favoritism towards the Development, Analysts teams, and BI team.

No opportunity to switch between teams. Once you're in one team you're stuck there.

Advice to Management

Treat all your employees the same.

"Fine while it lasted"

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

It was a very relaxed environment and the pay was decent for the work we were doing. Good social environment.

Cons

Unsustainable business model. Our whole team was laid-off suddenly and a lot more people were let go after that as well.

Advice to Management

Consider the long term direction of the company and treat your employees with some level of dignity.

3. "Great salary, benefits, bonuses, and flexibility, growth too fast"

Former Employee - Content Editor
    Former Employee - Content Editor

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CMN offered fantastic starting salaries - some of the best that can be found in the industry, particularly for certain positions. They also offered great benefits - I didn't pay a penny for my benefits and they offered great health insurance packages. They were also generous with bonuses and time off, and allowed a great deal of flexibility as most of their workforce was remote. In my experience and position, I was allowed a lot of creative input which was fantastic, and wasn't really micro-managed. I also appreciated that they were involved in philanthropic efforts.

Cons

It seemed that some of their business practices (mainly their SEO practices and use of copyrighted trademarks) were "shady" for lack of a better word. THis became even more apparent after they did some extremely surprising rounds of layoffs that nobody really saw coming at all. Anytime that I received an email from someone about use of a logo or referenced affiliation, I would pass the email on and be told it would be addressed by upper management, yet a month later I'd receive the same email and learn that the issue was never addressed. They also wanted a shroud of secrecy around what websites were in their portfolio, which was a bit odd to me. The biggest con was that the left hand didn't really seem to know what the right hand was doing, and this was especially evident and at times confusing after the first round of layoffs when positions and responsibilities were shifted. It seemed that they grew far too fast instead of taking their success slowly and steadily, and in the end, it seemed this bit them in the...rear. Unfortunately, A LOT of people lost their jobs over this and over what seemed to be a lack of planning as far as the amount of money they spent on benefits, acquisitions, and salaries. There is such a thing as too much too fast, and I think this was their downfall. I truly hope to see them succeed and learn from their mistakes as I greatly enjoyed working for the company and really saw myself being with them for the long haul. In fact, I'd even consider taking a position with them again if I saw that they'd changed some practices. I do wish there had been a bit more transparency about some of the websites in their portfolio as well - it would have helped a lot of people do their jobs more effectively. Overall, I'd say poor future planning, perhaps some less than honest SEO and marketing efforts, and a bit of ego were the biggest cons.

Advice to Management

Plan ahead carefully and examine your business models and growth in detail before going full speed ahead. Work with staff to determine if there's a way to continue to grow together before completely eliminating staff members that were dedicating 70 - 80 hours a week to the company.

4. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

great benefits, fully stocked fridge. Catered breakfast every Monday morning.

Cons

Really don't have any complaints. Awesome place to work. Great environment and people.

5. "Great people, solid business plan."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Consumer Media Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office environment is laid-back and casual. Great team members make coming to work enjoyable. Frequent office happy hours, in-office snacks, soda, and occasional office lunches are awesome. Solid business plan and future outlook. Opportunities to rise and contribute to multiple projects, excellent leadership for teams.

Cons

The company is split in to a few different offices, with content and marketing in Seattle while development and accounting is in Houston. Requires some flexibility to adjust to the different schedules, luckily they've got lots of tools to make remote work easier.

Advice to Management

Create clear career paths for current employees who are looking to grow with the company and expand their skill-set. Provide an easier transfer option between teams.

6. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Work hard play hard mentality. Company spares no expense on its employees. Amazing executive board. Truly an absolute pleasure to work for.

Cons

My only regret was having to leave the company for personal reasons

7. "Better organization and less bitterness at the top"

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time

Pros

Great benefits, loose environment and fun day-to-day

Cons

Office politics. Some folks could not keep from butting in where they did not belong

8. "Good While It Lasted"

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the office environment, and the management in the departments I worked was very knowledgable, helpful, and encouraging. I gained some very valuable skills working for this company, and I really appreciated their care in cultivating good employees.

Cons

SEO can be a tricky business, and the company had to make a very hard pivot, changing their business strategy and letting go a large portion of the staff. I have since learned that the pivot was successful and they are quite stable now.

Advice to Management

I think a better allocation of company resources could have been administered when such a large number of layoffs were happening. Some of the layoffs even seemed a bit knee-jerk. For instance, you laid off the design team only to hire some of the same members back on later.

"Play hard... and get downsized"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Consumer Media Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoy playing at work? There's a ping pong table and video games in the break room, along with donuts fresh from Shipley each Friday. They even have MarioKart tournaments periodically.

Cons

Even if you work hard and avoid playing hard, you will still likely be downsized and your job outsourced. Who knows, maybe they would've kept our team if each of us put in 40+ hours on MarioKart instead of actual work. At least the pay was relatively good while it lasted. A previous reviewer said, "One day you can walk into work and a whole team could get fired (it happened)." Yeah, that was me and the team I was on (SEO). I hear the writing team got downsized after us as well.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring 20-30 people and having to subsequently let them go 10 months later, why don't you slow down, take a look at how fishy your processes seem, and do more honest work? I've never seen such fake SEO in my life. I honestly felt like I was working for an extremely dishonest company.

10. "Wonderful opportunity for a mid/senior developer"

Former Employee - Back-End Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Back-End Developer in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexible time schedule, ability to work remotely, team leader that pushes for newer (but proven) technologies, team meetup/sprints, happy hours, dedication to open source, superb development and deployment workflow

Cons

office politics can often waste valuable development time, departments blame each other for faults and often try to "take over control" in order to have more influence