Consumer Portfolio Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Family Company"

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CPS is a great company to work for. Everyone works together well and it has that family business feel. Management takes care of its employees- they bring in free food and have health focused contests with prizes. They are always willing to work with you to improve your work skills and do their best to cater to your needs outside of work.

Cons

Subprime auto finance is a rough business- most employees are dealing with customers with less than perfect credit or with auto dealers- both of which are under high stress and that can lead to some tense interactions daily. But management is always there to help out if things get too crazy.
    Other than this the only other con is that depending on your department it can be difficult to progress too far as many people at the company have been around a long time (10+ years) or have even left and come back so getting promoted can take many years.

Advice to Management

You guys are wonderful- keep the treating your employees well and keep the lines of communication open.

2. "Challenging but Engaging Work"

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I very much enjoy what I do as a Reporting Analyst. The work is very Excel intensive and the team is good too. There is also a lot of ample opportunity to grow and show the company what you can do.

Cons

The work quickly becomes mundane and somewhat boring. After a while, the same routine becomes stagnant and almost robotic.

Advice to Management

None; the management team at CPS is very impressive and encouraging, especially the VP.

3. "Regional Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had really great benefits, job was easy if you worked hard. Product was really good for the clients they target especially BK products

Cons

Getting help on deals could be an issue as I was a field rep. and they kept changing managers at corp.

"Ran like a high school"

Current Employee - 30 Day Collector in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - 30 Day Collector in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Christmas bonus that's about it.

Cons

The bonus structure is crap. Most of all the management are all edgier family members or they are never on the same page on anything . It's complete disarray with the communication and they all talk about you behind your back in the offices together. The VP is a narcissist human being that walks around like he is the only reason the company is there but he is clueless on how his management and supervisors work and how lazy they are. I would not even come here for an interview. This is the La s vegas branch.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the reps and others like this is a mom and pop company. Have some professionalism .

"Underwriter (Irvine Offices)"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Irvine, CA

I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Benefits are decent
    -Work hours are good, occasional overtime
    -Job duties and work load is reasonable
    -Seems like a great place to work until you meet your coworkers.
    -I was able to stick around for 5 whole months until I decided to give up on this company and resign

Cons

-Pay is very low: I was able to negotiate $19.50/hr but other employees felt like it was okay to share their salary, one mentioned $14 for the same position another was happy theirs was $15. I simply kept that info to myself and refused to share my pay.
    - A LOT of drama, very high school like environment: there are cliques, there are “mean girls”, there is a lot of bad mouthing other coworkers, there is a lot of stepping on other people’s toes to get ahead, a lot of finger pointing and no one taking responsibility for their actions. Everyone talks about everyone else during work hours and it can become uncomfortable at your cubicle while gossip is being spread around
    -Many people are not up to par for the job: they seem uneducated, their grammar was atrocious for being in this type of business, their vocabulary was quite simple and there were a few instances where I had to reword my questions or comments in order to be understood by coworkers
    -Lack of professionalism: emails sent out by supervisors were laughable to say the least, they could not be bothered to send business appropriate emails but instead just sent out one or two sentences, often with misspelled words and poorly written
    -Lack of communication: management does a terrible job at updating all employees in regards to changing policies and procedures
    -Nepotism is huge: my supervisor was only there because her best friend is the manager, my supervisor also had a brother who coincidentally was next in line to be promoted to supervisor, the brother’s best friend also happened to work there, then there was another coworker who had a sister and a cousin there too, I could keep going with wives and husbands who also work the same job, the list is ongoing and it’s completely absurd that this company hires so many unqualified people simply because they’re friends or related.

Advice to Management

This is for the Irvine office only, I cannot speak on the other offices. Pay higher salaries in order to get quality employees therefore turn over wouldn’t be so high. Nepotism needs to stop! This type of business shouldn’t be for high school dropouts. Grown women employed here should not be using crass and vulgar language towards each other. Grown men working here should look and act appropriately instead of coming into the office with baggy clothing and a “thug” mentality. The job itself is great, it’s unfortunate that as long as the terrible work culture remains, you’ll never have quality employees stick around.

"HR Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Great environment and co workers

Cons

None that I can think of.

7. "Looks can be deceiving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

At first it seems like a nice place to work & the benefits are decent...but then heads start rolling and the things that seemed like “pros” are gone-just like that!

Cons

Frequent firing quality employees without warning or any valid reason. I’ve watched some great coworkers drop like flies and it doesn’t create secure work atmosphere anymore. Managers aren’t hired because they’re qualified, they get hired because they happen to know someone. Your ideas and feedback are not welcome with management, they don’t care if there’s a better way to do it. The pay is LOW!!

Advice to Management

Lose the ego & stop worrying about the fact that most of your subordinates are probably more qualified for your job than you are. Acknowledge that you probably have your “Manager “ title because you know someone; start making an effort to actually EARN your title. Also, it may be helpful to make sure your managers KNOW and USE proper grammar before hiring them and letting make fools of themselves when they send out emails that could be written better by a 3rd grader.

8. "Loan Processor"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Maitland, FL

I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working atmosphere. Good Pay.

Cons

Poor communication across departments.

9. "Inside Sales"

I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time

Pros

Co-workers were the best!!

Cons

Micro-management by highly unsophisticated moronic slubs who live for someone to kiss their collective bottom-sides.

Advice to Management

Perhaps it trickles down....? But in the event that it doesn't, managers should learn to lead by inspiration not by bullying.

10. "Credit Buyer"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment. Management is easily approachable. Fair pay, great vacation and sick time.

Cons

Credit Analysts work every other Saturday.