Consumer Portfolio Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "collections representative"

Current Employee - Collector in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Collector in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, room for advancement

Cons

Can have a better selection of coffee.

Advice to Management

To be promoted to a supervisor.

2. "Underwriter (Irvine Offices)"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Irvine, CA

I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Benefits are decent
    -Work hours are good, occasional overtime
    -Job duties and work load is reasonable
    -Seems like a great place to work until you meet your coworkers.
    -I was able to stick around for 5 whole months until I decided to give up on this company and resign

Cons

-Pay is very low: I was able to negotiate $19.50/hr but other employees felt like it was okay to share their salary, one mentioned $14 for the same position another was happy theirs was $15. I simply kept that info to myself and refused to share my pay.
    - A LOT of drama, very high school like environment: there are cliques, there are “mean girls”, there is a lot of bad mouthing other coworkers, there is a lot of stepping on other people’s toes to get ahead, a lot of finger pointing and no one taking responsibility for their actions. Everyone talks about everyone else during work hours and it can become uncomfortable at your cubicle while gossip is being spread around
    -Many people are not up to par for the job: they seem uneducated, their grammar was atrocious for being in this type of business, their vocabulary was quite simple and there were a few instances where I had to reword my questions or comments in order to be understood by coworkers
    -Lack of professionalism: emails sent out by supervisors were laughable to say the least, they could not be bothered to send business appropriate emails but instead just sent out one or two sentences, often with misspelled words and poorly written
    -Lack of communication: management does a terrible job at updating all employees in regards to changing policies and procedures
    -Nepotism is huge: my supervisor was only there because her best friend is the manager, my supervisor also had a brother who coincidentally was next in line to be promoted to supervisor, the brother’s best friend also happened to work there, then there was another coworker who had a sister and a cousin there too, I could keep going with wives and husbands who also work the same job, the list is ongoing and it’s completely absurd that this company hires so many unqualified people simply because they’re friends or related.

Advice to Management

This is for the Irvine office only, I cannot speak on the other offices. Pay higher salaries in order to get quality employees therefore turn over wouldn’t be so high. Nepotism needs to stop! This type of business shouldn’t be for high school dropouts. Grown women employed here should not be using crass and vulgar language towards each other. Grown men working here should look and act appropriately instead of coming into the office with baggy clothing and a “thug” mentality. The job itself is great, it’s unfortunate that as long as the terrible work culture remains, you’ll never have quality employees stick around.

3. "HR Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment and co workers

Cons

None that I can think of.

4. "Looks can be deceiving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

At first it seems like a nice place to work & the benefits are decent...but then heads start rolling and the things that seemed like “pros” are gone-just like that!

Cons

Frequent firing quality employees without warning or any valid reason. I’ve watched some great coworkers drop like flies and it doesn’t create secure work atmosphere anymore. Managers aren’t hired because they’re qualified, they get hired because they happen to know someone. Your ideas and feedback are not welcome with management, they don’t care if there’s a better way to do it. The pay is LOW!!

Advice to Management

Lose the ego & stop worrying about the fact that most of your subordinates are probably more qualified for your job than you are. Acknowledge that you probably have your “Manager “ title because you know someone; start making an effort to actually EARN your title. Also, it may be helpful to make sure your managers KNOW and USE proper grammar before hiring them and letting make fools of themselves when they send out emails that could be written better by a 3rd grader.

5. "Loan Processor"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Maitland, FL

I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working atmosphere. Good Pay.

Cons

Poor communication across departments.

6. "Inside Sales"

I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time

Pros

Co-workers were the best!!

Cons

Micro-management by highly unsophisticated moronic slubs who live for someone to kiss their collective bottom-sides.

Advice to Management

Perhaps it trickles down....? But in the event that it doesn't, managers should learn to lead by inspiration not by bullying.

7. "funder"

Current Employee - Funder in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Funder in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time

Pros

open door policy. great incentives for employees. Insurance package for family is awesome. Casual comfortable environment.

Cons

could have a little more pay increase.

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing.

8. "Credit Buyer"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment. Management is easily approachable. Fair pay, great vacation and sick time.

Cons

Credit Analysts work every other Saturday.

9. "credit analyst"

I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

start off with a good pay of $14.00.

Cons

not much room for personal growth

Advice to Management

need more room for growth within the company, this serves as professional and personal motivation for the staff to excel in the company and therefore become dependable and efficient employees.

"Collections Supervisor"

Current Employee - Collections Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Collections Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Consumer Portfolio Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall great company to work for. The environment is fun and friendly yet competitive and goal driven. The company offers great benefits, 401 K match, paid holidays, benefit time, bonus structure and opportunity to do overtime. There is room for growth and the company from the top down truly values all their employees.

Cons

One mandatory late night per week, 10-7 pm on Mondays.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, the support and motivation is appreciated.