Consumer Reports Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Consumer Reports CEO Marta Tellado
Marta Tellado

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very strong (in 16 reviews)

• CR is a non-profit and donations are up substantially along with digital subscriptions and the recent re-branding initiative was widely celebrated (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Shocked to discover how many shift in strategy and senior management there has been in the last 5 years, I should have asked during interviews (in 8 reviews)

• Web services/technology is outdated and 10 years behind the times (in 4 reviews)

"Edgy"

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus, nice cafeteria, onsite gym, mission oriented.

Cons

Many workers are on edge, management is notoriously inept. Constant layoffs and firings.

Advice to Management

Own up to your mistakes.

"Toxic"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. The mission is strong. Consumers need someone to trust. The food is decent. The CEO is a really nice person.

Cons

Toxic people are bad for your career and life. There are some nice people at CR but majority of the more seasoned employees at CR are terrible people to interact and work with. Believe the negative reviews, they are true. I attribute this to people battling to keep their jobs secure until they retire, without having to do much work for it.

Advice to Management

It is a tough spot to be in, dramatically changing technology and landscape, aging staff with antiquated ideas and philosophies. Advice to upper management, manage your managers.

"Senior Software Developer"

Former Employee - UI Architect in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - UI Architect in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent mission; some really agreeable people; good work-life balance. Benefits starting on day one.

Cons

Some management constituents approach their subordinates in a highly disrespectful and demeaning manner. This obviously creates an acerbic environment in which to work.

No training for new hires.

You’ll pay 1.5% in union dues, but you won’t get union representation for a year.

You’ll get filtered water from the company, but that’s it. Coffee is $.75.

Advice to Management

Speak and treat everyone in your workforce, from the janitor to the CEO, exactly as you’d like to be spoken to.

"Sliding Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really nice commute from Westchester.

Cons

One strange thing we keep seeing is that for every negative or slightly negative review here, a positive review gets posted addressing specific negative comments. This is clearly CR HR replying and trying to address anything negative. This is a strange practice and is really dubious on Consumer Report's part. Can't they just let honest negative reviews be, this is a sign of an insecure organization.

The fact is that the organization has gotten worse the last few years and there have been around three distinct changes in upper management over the last five years, this is a fact. There has also been a huge shift in the level right below VP and CEO, Director and Senior Manager. This has caused huge negative impact on the culture.

The bottomline is that CR isn't the great place to work that it used to be and the current HR and Executive team is trying to hide behind things like: change, digital transformation, brand re-positioning, etc. And the fact is that the very best organization do this stuff without mass lay-offs, scare tactics, and monumental shift in core culture. At the end of the day, CR isn't a good place to work and every prospective employee should know that and the fact that revenue us sliding as well. Period.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Stop trying to micro-manage and control opinions and truth in glassdoor.

"Great Work being done"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Very smart people all aligned around a mission to help consumers
    -People talk about the revolving door on managers-not true. We have added managers, and a few have left, hardly a revolving door. Most added have been in new roles. For the most part they seem solid. Time will tell, like another year or so, if they can be truly great, but they are solid
    -While we did lose some long tenured employees, we are hiring employees with great technical skills and external perspective
    -Perfect time to join a non-partisan media outlet

Take the negative with a HUGE grain of salt. Most employees are engaged, happy, and very proud to work here.

Cons

-Based in Westchester, not NYC
    -Base salaries are high and benefits are very good, but because they are non-profit, bonus plan is nominal

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, keep an open mind to employee ideas

"CR is rated 'depressing'"

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some smart people left; mission oriented is noble

Cons

Very behind the times, technically speaking; extreme cronyism; eroding benefits; low morale among rank and file; never ending layoffs to supposedly restructure but just a disguise to rid the company of long-time and very dedicated workers (age discrimination).
    There has been several distinct sets of upper management in the past few years who don't seem to have a grasp of how to turn the company around to make money.
    Management is callous and very disrespectful to employees and consider anyone still here after 10 years 'dead wood' and will even say this in the building.
    HR personnel are incompetent and are flagging negative reviews and having them removed from this site. Read this while it's still here.

Advice to Management

You refuse to listen to suggestions by staff and will only listen to other managers, how's that been working for you?

8. "A great place to work at!"

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed working here... I was there at the time of a digital transition. Lot of new faces, lot of learning

Cons

Its an old company, so lot of obsolete processes.. other than that it was a wonderful place to work

"Just Joined"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the idea of working for a mission based company.

Cons

Shocked to discover how many shift in strategy and senior management there has been in the last 5 years, I should have asked during interviews. Culture is way diffferent than the stuff I heard during interviews with HR and my manager; it's as though there are two CR's - the one HR and management want to fabricate and the real which seems not to really care for employees and overall health of company.
    I took a huge paycheck to come to a mission based company, it may have been a mistake and I'm hearing the same from both long term and other new employees

Advice to Management

be truthful during interviews and have a solid turn around plan

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people working hard to do good works.
    Working hard to change and reshape company for digital age

Cons

Change is everywhere which naturally cause friction

Advice to Management

The board of directors needs to take a step back.

"Long-time employee, recently left company"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization is very mission oriented and is trying hard to find its way. It is trying to inculcate a more positive attitude among staff and improve morale, which varies widely within the organization.

Cons

Limited advancement potential and many long-serving managers that may not always be in-sync with the overall organizational goals.

Company offered a buyout offer to long-serving staff and lost a lot of expertise.

Advice to Management

Good Luck with your new staff!