Consumer Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Kathy Taylor

1. "LOVE MY JOB!!!"

Current Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Owosso, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Owosso, MI

I have been working at Consumer Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great,friendly and supportive coworkers!
    The ability to help those that need mental health care. I'm basically the liaison for the consumers and Nurse Practitioners. I handle the NP schedules and calls from consumers with medication concerns, and I coordinate care with the Consumers and their PCP. I currently live in Flint, which gives me about a 40 min drive to and from work, but I truly enjoy working here, so it's worth the drive.

Cons

I have no Cons for the office I work for. Everyone here is a team player, and does their best to help one another, and help the consumers get the care they need.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI

I have been working at Consumer Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CSI has many opportunities for flexible schedules and is willing to work around school, second jobs and family. They seek to obtain lots of feedback from staff and colleagues are very friendly. Lots of support is offered and management have experience and compassion.

Cons

May not be the best place of employment if you are not driven, and used to a fast paced work environment and multitasking

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and listen to your staff, they are key to identifying the needs of the organization and the consumers. Never take for granted their loyalty and dedication to recovery.

3. "Love my job"

I have been working at Consumer Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Life Insurance, vacation and personal time.
    I love my bosses and all the staff I work with. I have had such a great experience with the clinicians and support staff. All willing to help when needed wherever needed. The company is always looking for ways to improve and uses data from surveys, etc. that helps push decisions and changes among the programs.

Cons

Great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!

5. "Case Manager"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Hillsdale, MI
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Hillsdale, MI

I worked at Consumer Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Boss
    Great co-workers unified team with a true desire to be their best and assist clients to the fullest.
    Loved my director who always listened and went to bat for me. Loved Medical Records cause she knew everything and always assisted me. My co-workers were specialist in their own disciplines.
    Absolutely the best place I have ever worked.

Cons

Corporate office billing department was a total mess multiple mistakes constantly and frequently resulting in loss or delayed wages. Mistakes often had to be grieved or argued on the part of management. Frequent corrections to many to count and to many to excuse.

Advice to Management

Let Rhonda Kibbey run the entire company.

6. "Love My Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI

I have been working at Consumer Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consumer Services, Inc. offers benefits that can be comparable to other businesses, with having personal and vacation time, along with health insurance, dental, vision, and life insurance. Everyone is very helpful and great to work with. Flexible schedule that is given is awesome!

Cons

Communicate changes in a more timely manner. You have to wait for someone to leave the business before the opportunity for advancement is achievable.

Advice to Management

Always strive for a positive working environment! The leadership/executive team could benefit from more interaction with staff.

7. "Strained work place with poor employee morale."

Former Employee - Social Work Case Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Social Work Case Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Consumer Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Puts you in position to deliver services to adult mentally ill. Working in the field. Some employees help to keep each other motivated.

Cons

Aloof leadership, except to bring you criticism. Poor benefits. Poor morale in the office. Most employees do not feel valued by local management or corporate management. Management motivates with threats of write ups and attacking your license Have to use your own laptop, car, and cell phone. Very little vacation. No vacation the first year. No 401K or 403B. Medical benefits are very difficult for an employee with a family. Little chance of advancement.

Advice to Management

More investment in employee morale needs to be made. Management needs to be trained on leadership techniques or continue to face high turn over. Unless you like high turn over.

8. "Changed terms"

Former Employee - Supports Coordinator in Grosse Pointe Park, MI
    Former Employee - Supports Coordinator in Grosse Pointe Park, MI

I worked at Consumer Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Telecommuting and offered a flexible schedule. Friendly atmosphere. Adequate resources.

Cons

Company decided to go from contractual to permanent hire and wanted to offer experienced employees insulting salaries. Very amateur-ish.

9. "Extended wait for benefits"

Pros

Flexible schedule; adequate electronic equipment provided for job necessities; adequate work space; staff recognition system.

Cons

New employees wait one year before being eligible for vacation time and when you resign with notice, they still do not pay out accumulated PTO; appear not to provide COBRA for employees who resign; no retirement savings plan; few opportunities for advancement; 90 day wait for medical benefits.

"Loved being able to help consumers in day to day lives, absolutely cannot stand disorganized management."

Current Employee - Support Staff in Ypsilanti, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at Consumer Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to work with consumers every day, helping them with hand-over-hand assistance, or leading assistance, in various daily tasks.
    My consumers were typically in my area, and I didn't have to go very far to their homes.
    They're very flexible for school schedules.
    Paid mileage.

Cons

Management is very disorganized.
    Management lives about an hour away, and on-call managers often do not help with consumers in emergency situations.
    On-call managers do not help find replacement staff if staff is unable to find a replacement, even in emergency situations.
    On-call managers often ignore phone calls, or are rude when they pick up the phone.
    Managers do not know enough about the company, and questions like, "Is this day a holiday pay day?" are often met with "I don't know" responses.
    There is no paid-time-off for part-time associates.
    There is no over time, even when you are needed to provide over-time situations, have had them put the extra hours over into the next week, or you lose the hours worked.
    There is no sick pay for part-time associates.
    There are no raises unless you become management, which is only a $3 raise. Salaried.
    Mileage is less than IRS rate, it has been at .50 a mile for the last year, when asked about it raising, management states that they weren't aware of the raise.
    There is no proper lifting training.
    "Training" consists of a one day orientation where you are adult CPR trained, you are given medication training through WCC, and recipient rights training. You are "inserviced" by co-workers typically for one shift, sometimes two shifts, and then expected to be able to know everything to do with their care. On-call management typically will answer questions here, but, get annoyed fast.

Advice to Management

Communication. Bring back paid-time-off. Raises. Don't worry about adding more consumers, worry about training your staff well enough in each client that you currently have. Get more staff. Work on more training practices for consumers. Look into multiple staff working at certain homes.

"Support Coordinator/Case Manager"

Current Employee - Support Coordinator in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Support Coordinator in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Consumer Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My fellow co-workers were awesome in helping when I had a question. I also had great consumers.

Cons

Punitive attitude to staff. Unrealistic demands. Management more interested in making money from Medicaid that they do not look to see if employees are billing unnecessary units so they reach their unrealistic demand set by management. Very high turn over.
    Pay is way below what other mental health agencies pay for the same position.

Advice to Management

You are losing highly educated, experienced, hard working employees due to your unrealistic demands. Your benefits are insulting, no raises and punitive attitude toward employees. There should have been grandfathering of vacation/PTO to the contract workers that were forced to become employees.