Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) Reviews

Updated Sep 8, 2019

3.7
Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) CEO Sean Rathjen (no image)
Sean Rathjen
  1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Palatine, IL

I worked at Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) for less than a year

Pros

CCU is very concerned with their interns success. The internship program at CCU is very hands-on and I met so many great people through this experience!

Cons

I would not make any changes to the internship program.

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2019-09-08
  2. "CCU is a great place to work"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot through CCU's internship program this summer and I met a lot of great people who I loved working with!

Cons

There was nothing I would have changed about the internship program at CCU!

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2019-09-05
  3. "Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) for less than a year

Pros

My internship at CCU was very enjoyable! I liked the variety of work I was able to do and the business environment I was in. My expectations were set very clear to me and my manager was always approachable! There are lots of options for internships that don't necessarily revolve around a specific major and others that do. It was really nice to experience a friendly staff, comfortable environment, and learn... applicable information! Additionally, the CEO and SMT are great.

Cons

I have no cons about my internship!

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2019-08-01

August 6, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for submitting a review about our Internship Program. We are glad that you enjoyed your time at CCU and that you found our culture and work environment to be friendly and applicable to learning! Each year we raise the bar on the program and implement enhancements to continuously encourage Innovation, Growth and Networking, the three pillars our IGNITE Internship Program. CCU thanks all 14 of our 2019 Interns for an awesome summer!

4. "Starts out great, then you decide"

Current Employee - Member Experience Representative

I have been working at Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consumers is a great growing company to work for. The amount of PTO you get is more than generous and the room for promotion is very large. The people I work with are great, and you see that at every service center. More than willing to let you visit other departments to see where you want to move within the company.

Cons

Sales. The pressure put on for cross sales is a little heavy. Especially in recent months since they are branch goals versus individual. I get that higher management is getting on service centers cases however, the service center managers are making the staff feel like we have never made goal EVER. Two others and myself have started to look for other work, however, we don’t want to leave. The main reason is the... sales goals and how hard they are pushed. Being at other financial institutions, they have been pushed hardest here. Especially when you have the same members each week, they are tired of hearing the same products and services. Also, the full job isn’t fully put in the job description. They leave a few pieces out and let you know after you’ve been hired. Also, sometimes you feel fully compensated for your job and others it’s a lot and you don’t feel compensated. It is really based on the management at the service center from day to day.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing so hard with sales, it’s making people leave. Stop telling tellers to dig through account history’s to try and bring up products to have members bring over to CCU it seems invasive. With one off month, don’t treat staff as if they NEVER meet goal. It’s not every month, sometimes months are harder than others if people don’t want the service in which the goal is not being met.

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2019-06-25

July 1, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for submitting a review. The positive comments about us growing, our generous benefits, the career potential, and our people are exciting to see. We take all feedback to heart and utilize it to continuously improve and enhance CCU. Receiving the constructive comments about sales, the job descriptions, and compensation is important to us, is much appreciated and has been shared with Senior Management, Directors and Managers that oversee these particular areas so they can act on this information. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and thank you for working with us!

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Manager in Gurnee, IL

Pros

Best company I have worked for! I have worked at other FI’s and this by far beats the competition. They truly have both employees and members interest at heart.

Cons

Long hours at times, but it comes with any growing company.

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2019-03-24

March 28, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for submitting a review and thank you for recognizing our commitment to employees and our members! As you stated, we are a growing company which is fun, exciting and a great learning environment. But, it also comes with some challenges which we are continuing to work on. Thank you again for your feedback, it’s very helpful as we consistently strive to make work/life balance enhancements for our employees.

"Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) full-time for less than a year

Pros

I’m typically a very positive person, but my credit union merged with consumers several months ago and I can honestly say that there’s nothing positive I can say about Consumers Credit Union.

Cons

Under staffed, over worked. Under paid. Consumers does not give us the tools or the manpower to be successful. The primary focus is on merging with other credit unions and building capital, there is very little focus on member service and half the day is spent dealing with members who are upset at the poor service and the large amount of mistakes that are made by a staff that has not been trained well. Lots of... turnover, so much so that they stopped announcing when people leave or get hired because the amount of those leaving was exponentially more then those coming into the credit union. The CEO is completely out of touch with his employees. It’s been three months since consumers bought our former credit union and they’ve already indicated to us that they are going back on the arrangements that were discussed in regards to our jobs. Constant uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Please retire.

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2018-12-03

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) full-time

Pros

They are growing very fast and so lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and always listen for feedback from the employees to improve processes.

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2018-08-27
  8. "Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) for less than a year

Pros

Friendly Co-workers, Reasonable hours

Cons

Not much to do - spent a lot of time doing nothing

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2018-06-18

"Intern"

Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Consumers Credit Union (Illinois) for more than a year

Pros

friendly co-workers, nice offices, happy

Cons

none, none, none, none, none

Advice to Management

none

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2018-03-05
  10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurnee, IL

Pros

Consumers is one of the very few companies you will find that the CEO takes time out of his day to be among the employees. Very genuine and sincere.

Cons

A lot of work and long hours but is normal for a place growing as fast as it is.

Consumers Credit Union (Illinois)2017-10-04