Container Store Reviews | Glassdoor

Container Store Reviews

Updated February 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Not very many full time positions (in 103 reviews)

• Some benefits are available for part time or "Prime" positions (in 79 reviews)

"Mixed"

I have been working at Container Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers care about you, and management is great. Compensation is above average for the retail world.

Cons

Company going through growing pains. If you want to work here, be willing to deal with ambiguity on a daily basis!

Advice to Management

Simplify messaging to your teams as much as possible, and keep sharing the vision of the company as you craft it. Don't be afraid to own that we're in ambiguous times.

"Good as transitional employment to something else. Good first job. Good seasonal"

Current Employee - Prime Timer
    Current Employee - Prime Timer

I have been working at Container Store part-time

Pros

Co-workers are interesting people, and mostly motivated to get job done. Wages are OK for entry level retail in this region. Store is clean, safety is honored. Most customers are civil; many are way above average.

Cons

Don't seem to understand why people leave - keep insisting it's a transient area, but there are many many people in need of permanent jobs here who can't get hired here because they need more than 15 hours a week, and they need fixed schedules.

They pay for parking, but nothing for those dependent on public transit - fix this for fairness sake.

They don't recycle. They bale large cardboard, but trash plastic and small boxes. Won't even allow employees to take home bubble wrap and boxes that end up in landfill. Seem ignorant of and uninterested in other ecological concerns they could address in individual stores - and be seen as leaders. The everyone thrives meme is over-rated and becoming out-dated.

Advice to Management

You could get so much goodwill by hiring underemployed groups, including ex-prisoners and women with children.

I am leaving because the anti-union pep talk that we can negotiate our wages is bunk - wages are frozen, and I won't get so much as a gift card for the extra holiday scheduling inconvenience. THAT is what would make me feel valued - NOT another survey asking whether I feel valued. What makes Kip feel valued? I am no different: money, paid pto, control over my life schedule. ASK floor staff about managers - don't ask managers to hand-pick respondents.

ASK floor staff about merchandising and products. We are also customers, and we know something, 1=3, eh?

Try treating part time staff - which is almost everyone - once in a while, to something we want in our lives, not another Elfa discount.

"Retail Merchandiser Sales"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have worked retail for several different companies and TCS is definitely the best retailer I've worked for. Part time makes it easy to work around my family schedule. Awesome employee discount!

Cons

Not very many full time positions. Could take years to become full time. Not necessarily a con but if you plan on working for TCS, they aren't messing around. The expectation is 1 person equals 3 so there are high expectations for the staff.

"Start at the bottom.."

Former Employee - Part Time in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time in Austin, TX

Pros

Friendly environment, nice customers, great products

Cons

New employees have to do all the grunt work like work the over-night truck, clean the shelves, etc

Advice to Management

Be nice

"Please go back to the way it was."

Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I worked at Container Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hourly wage isn't too bad. Work with great people. Super employee discount. Lots of training for both full and part time employees. Benefits for both full and part time employees.

Cons

The company really changed after they were bought. They really don't follow their "Foundation Principles" like they used to. Management doesn't listen to employees' concerns. They play favorites.

Advice to Management

Please go back to actually following the TCS Foundation Principles. Support your employees and listen to their feedback. Management also needs to learn and be able to do all major tasks that they make others do (counting money, managing inventory, register sales, etc). Please give more credit to employees who legitimately deserve it.

7. "Sales"

Pros

Training is very intensive
    People are great

Cons

Have been there a few months, so far so good!

"Sales"

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

co-workers are exceptional people

opportunity to expand skill set beyond ringing at registers

constant changes in merchandise mix keeps things interesting

Cons

no stability in store-level management. managers are shuffled - both in terms of their responsibilities and in whom they supervise.

little opportunity for advancement. often full-time employees are brought in rather than promoted from within. when management says to its staff "you're not good enough," it shouldn't be surprised that morale plummets.

Advice to Management

go back to being a privately held company! you're not pleasing wall street - just look at the stock price. you're not acting like an "employee first" organization when you freeze salaries.

"Working hard to maintain the culture"

Pros

* Amazing, hard-working co-workers
    * Good working environment. However, corporate office in Coppell, TX is overflowing. Be prepared to share an office with 2-3 others.
    * Good pay - equal with other jobs in area
    * Lots of fun events - company tries to make work fun
    * Fair benefits package
    * Awesome employee discount

Bottom line: this place is still better than most, but not as good as it used to be. Your coworkers are the best part. The company is trying to keep the positive culture, but its hard with everything going on.

Cons

* Company is struggling to identify who they are. Has suffered since going public. Said they wouldn't chase Wall Street, but now we do.
    * Pay freeze for at least a year. 401k match has stopped.
    * more people are leaving than ever before. Why?
    * Expect to work a lot of hours if you are on salary.

Advice to Management

VPs are out of touch with what is really going on in the company. The company's not doing great financially, but you're not reacting to fix it. You just promoted a few more while the rest of the company is in a pay freeze. People see that and lose trust. Smells like executive favoritism.
    Get in touch with your employees. Not your executives. Your store employees, your warehouse employees. Ask them what needs to happen. You may be surprised at the ideas they give you. We have the ability to be great again.

"No communication"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Austin, TX

I have been working at Container Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

medical, dental, and other benefits even for part-time work

Cons

When I was first hired, my supervisor told me that I would be given a full tour of the store including all the fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors. She said that I would be given a season employee to shadow for a couple weeks while I learned the ins & outs of the store. She said that I would be introduced to everyone and that nametags were required. She said that, because I have such low blood pressure that I can become dizzy easily, I won't be required to climb the highest ladders unsupervised.

None of this came to be. The exact opposite of everything she said happened. The only thing she told me that did come true was her restriction "do not talk about anything personal, especially anything that might be perceived as negative. Leave your personal self at the door." Now all my coworkers think I'm a cold-hearted idiot, but the general manager congratulates me on my professionalism.

Advice to Management

If you can't communicate the reality of the job, just don't say anything. Stop lying.

11. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Container Store (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, professionalism, support from management. Great team experience!

Cons

Allow more flexibility in scheduling and work area preferences.