Container Store Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Part Time with limited Full Time positions (in 117 reviews)

• Most positions part-time with little chance to grow (in 88 reviews)

1. "Sales and visual merchandising"

Former Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in Dallas, TX

Pros

Employee first mentality. Customers and the store were treated with pride because we were treated right.

Cons

Not enough companies like TCS

Advice to Management

keep it up

2. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Container Store (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of training, great management/people and company. Great discount. Fun place to work.

Cons

Super busy during the sale but makes the day go by fast.

"Promises promises promises...all broken. All lies"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promises of employees first.
    Detailed training
    Employees are friendly and the best part of the job
    Decent discounts
    Wonderful customer interactions are the second best part of the job

Cons

Where to begin. It's a complete dead end job. Crappy hours. Management (store mgrs. under the direct supervision and commands of the District Manager) is guilty of playing favoritism and giving extra hours and sales floor shifts only to the people they like. Otherwise you are always scheduled for RSP shifts and extremely less hours. Merit is over looked by the favorite person du jour. Store meetings are uninformative and full of " sell this big ticket item NOW " commands. You are judged by how many POP! Members you get per shift. In morning huddle you are told how good or bad you did the day before. You only get a "good job" thumbs up if you beat the all store average. Benefits for part time employees are horrible. Hospital emergencies are not covered. Most Medications are not covered. So if you break your leg or have a heart attack you are screwed. Especially if you are out for a certain amount of time, they let you go and can get hired again. But at the low part of the totem pole. And you are also paying a lot more for nothing in coverage. They do nothing for employees morale. The morale in my store is so low. Many of us are just showing up for the paycheck. I can only speak for me, but I know of many individuals that feel that why should we bother to go above and beyond when we know that it will mean nothing and that it won't help us progress in our career at TCS. I know that many in management think that the low morale is based on the pay freezes that they keep having. Truth is, that is only a fraction of it. They refuse to see anything else as a problem. And make the employees feel that they are to blame. They treat the full time employees with more respect than the prime time employees (minus the pick of the litter whom the district manager and store management feel are more worthy of special treatment). It's truly not a healthy environment. You might be better in looking elsewhere. Seriously

Advice to Management

You don't and won't listen. Which is why you are failing and falling in the top 100 lists across the country. Stop trying to be cool and actually be honest. Realize that the problem starts at the top and rolls down. Remember your humble beginnings. Remember how to give respect. Remind your management staff ( from the top of the ladder to your district to your store manager) that they are there to support your employees and not act like Regina George! Give a better chance to your employees based on merit rather than your favorite golden child.

"Not a great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

I worked at Container Store full-time

Pros

Employee discount. Working with your coworkers.

Cons

Favoritism. If you're not a snitch you will not make it far.

Advice to Management

Stop bullying your employees.

"High and mighty"

I have been working at Container Store full-time

Pros

The people are amazing

Cons

Not sure who to trust

"Good company, but unfortunatley not what it once was."

Former Employee - Full-Time Visual Sales in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Full-Time Visual Sales in Arlington, TX

I worked at Container Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, competitive salary, flexible schedules.

Cons

The Container Store is starting to lose the appeal that is once had. The business model they are following now doesn't make much sense to the people that have worked here for so long. Many people who have been here for 10, 15, 20 years are beginning to leave because of it. The company really didn't handle going public very well and it is starting to show.

Company initiatives (in a lot of employees opinions) are focusing on the wrong things and not on who their true competitors are. A once employee first company is not that anymore. TCS has continued over the past year to invest in other companies employees for help instead of their own and cutting TCS employees hours to save payroll. Also, forcing people to quit after many years of service because they make too much money, as well as other ways such as wage and 401k freezes. We understand that lots of companies do some of these things, but when you invest in certain reworks, remodels, and new store openings when you don't have the money to do so, and have to freeze your employees wage increases because you have no money, then you have to start to wonder what is happening.

I enjoyed my 7 years working here, don't get me wrong. However certain changes the company has been making as of late have cause serious concern amongst employees. Hopefully TCS can turn it around.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more. When you make changes that effect your main source of income (the stores), invest in your OWN employees first to help. TCS loves to promote from within but this has not happened in such a long time. Employees who know the company, the people and the culture should be thought of first instead of hearing false promises about longevity with the company just to be passed over or interviewed as a favor to someone. Focus on your Foundation Principles to be what you once were.

7. "Rotating Assistant Buyer"

I have been working at Container Store part-time

Pros

The 1=3 hiring principle ensures that all employees know how to professionally interact with character and respect. It is easy to acclimate due to the helpfulness of those around you. We have a ton of fun at the office as well with holiday parties, gift wrap fashion shows and derby car races. They really try to encourage a culture that thrives on an air of excitement.

Cons

Often difficult for the Millennial perspective to be taken into profound consideration.

8. "Prime time associate"

I have been working at Container Store part-time

Pros

Great team members and open communication.

Cons

Lots of processes for everything. They say they want your new ideas but they really don't.

"Concerned loyal employee"

I have been working at Container Store full-time

Pros

You have a small paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

TCS is now a public company.

Advice to Management

Firing people/eliminating a position because C-suite thinks it will help their bottom line is wrong. Firing people who have been LOYAL for over 10 years is wrong. Escorting long term employees to the front door in the middle of the day in front of customers and fellow employees, not even giving the abruptly fired co-worker a moment to say good-bye to leave with dignity, is AGAINST FOUNDATION PRINCIPLES.

Why not fix the problem and not the symptom?

As Warren Buffet has said, it takes years to build a brand and its team, and moments to destroy it.

There is no such thing anymore as FAMILY. There is no such thing anymore as TCS is an EMPLOYEE BASED COMPANY. There is no such thing anymore as TRUST. There is no such thing anymore as FUTURE EMPLOYMENT STABILITY.

Perhaps a C-suite individual should be walked out because they are not doing a good job. As a public company, the senior management has a responsibility to its shareholders who just happen to also be its employees. For the last 15 months, the pension has been frozen, wages have been frozen, and senior management NOW boasts of quarterly earnings at the cost of its loyal employees that was stated in the quarterly report of a future savings of 11-15 million.

Perhaps Leonard Green should evaluate the middle and upper management in the public company (regional and area directors, store management positions). Perhaps the company is too top heavy. The environment now mirrors the Wal-Mart model....earnings before employees. The loss in ranking of the top Fortune companies to work for is no surprise.

"The Best (In Retail)"

Former Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in Nashville, TN

I worked at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, focus on team-building, beautiful products

Cons

"Cult-like" corporate culture, mistrust of employees, exaggerated potential for inside promotions, unrealistic goals

Advice to Management

Advocate for your employees! Make sure that the goals and standards set take into account the unique factors of the local store (like layout for truck unload!)