Contech Engineered Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 2, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Winchester

Pros
  • Great people, solid corporate reputation, great solutions (in 8 reviews)

• Good work life/balance in outside sales (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to know what direction to go (in 7 reviews)

• Really poor management non-appreciative (in 3 reviews)

1. "Do NOT waste your time"

Current Employee - Project Manager in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

.25 cent pop - sometimes a free lunch

Cons

POOR Management, vindictive and bitter employees that are constantly being reported to HR that nothing gets done about.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul of management. Company was bought out by Quickrete and Quikrete needs to remove all former employees and start new. Some employees who are not part of the "clique" but do 110% of their job are looked down upon and the behavior is more like high school than a professional workplace.

"Sacked by Quikrete - Run Away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time

Pros

None anymore - this was a great place to work before Quikrete took over

Cons

Employee health care costs more than tripled since Quikrete took over. 401k is no longer matched until end of year at Quikrete's discretion. IT systems are moving back 20 years - Quikrete sees no value in modern IT and are ripping out superior systems currently in place.

Advice to Management

The old Winchester geezers that run the company should let someone take over that knows what a modern company looks like

3. "Unappreciative to the non office employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, MN

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time

Pros

Great people to work with in shop

Cons

Horrible insurance, work the shop employees into the ground, 50 hour work week, horrible communication, all they care about is the dollar, keep on getting bought out, unfair wages, treat office people like kings but treat the people who get the product out like crap and a lot of bias to certain people.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same, better communication, lay up on the overtime.

4. "I hate working here as a welder in Redding California"

Current Employee - Welder in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Welder in Redding, CA

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros of this company is the good pay as a welder. It gets very hot here in redding cal and the management buys water and Popsicles for us to have on break. I can't say much of anything else.

Cons

This is a really horrible place to work. When I went to go in to the interview they told me that it was really good that I certified and that they would need somone like me. They asked if I could read blueprints and I told them yes. I was so excited to join there company because I just got out of technical school. I am very skilled. So the next week I start working only to find out that there is no use for my certifications, the person next to me whom is welding has never welded before in his entire life, I don't need to read blueprints and I hate how management deceived me into this job by telling me that my skills are needed when there is no skill needed at all. The employees don't care about you and my new nickname is horible cuss words and I am constantly cut down and cussed out by the forman. They also will not provide me with a helmet that I need (mine is falling apart and is broken. When asked if I can use one of there helmets. I am told " I don't care what you need". I also self galvanized steel often and even with a respirator it makes me sick. I don't want to work here anymore. Bottom line is if you are a welder with certifications and you have loads of skill your skill isn't needed, so go find yourself a skilled job that will push you further into your career.

Advice to Management

You need actually get better fans and get welding helmets that blow cold air on you. Also listen to your employees when they say that somthing is needed. Tell the Forman to stop cussing me out.

"Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented employees, robust product portfolio, decent work-life balance with vacation purchase option, good investment program with intermittent company matching. Fun atmosphere outside of the office..be prepared to drink and socialize. Wow..they supply coffee and soft drinks. Management, they love to come into town and flaunt their company expense accounts by taking the staff to expensive dinners...and then tell you that the money isn't there for raises or bonuses.

Cons

This top heavy company nearly destroyed my career, what a huge mistake and wasted years. The worst management I've had in my 15 year career. Peoples lives are meaningless while the CEOs play monopoly. I'm a seasoned PE and yet the company thinks its okay to have a non-PE supervisor. My supervisor couldn't and hasn't passed the PE exam after 3,4,5 attempts?! This company relies upon concrete fabrication; However, my supervisor didn't know how water/cement ratio effects concrete strength. Management fosters ill will and unhealthy competition in the staff. Salesmen and CAD techs rule, call the shots, and whine while the engineers that design, manufacture, and spec your products are not appreciated. The bean counters love to burden everyday activities such as phone calls, emails, and work tasks with redundant data base entries so that they can metric every function to look for inefficiencies..HELLO.

Advice to Management

Get ahold of yourselves.. you think your special but your a waste of money and resources. Flying around on jets firing people that lead your company in sales...excellent idea to save a few bucks by swindling out of paying bonuses. But then again how else do you put your wives in $1,000 Christian Louboutain shoes, fly to Cancun for a week on the company expenses, and make everyone kiss up to your arrogant overpaid selves?

6. "No Comments"

Former Employee - Senior Estimator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Senior Estimator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not have any good to say about this company

Cons

You need to speak Chinese because all the working staff speak Chinese and they about you in Chinese and you did not know what they are saying and you will not fit in.
    Plus you will not make it as a Project Manager if you are not Chinese.

"President of this, President of that... getting nowhere."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not much. Although in the right territory and smoozing the correct mgmt you can find yourself with some lucrative sales territories/compensation structures.

Cons

Company is mismanaged beyond comprehension. They can't get the management structure correct, have too many Presidents of this and Presidents of that who clearly can't make the correct decisions for the company (as evident by numerous layoff's, poor product quality, logistical internal nightmares and pricing which is anything but competitive), This ship has already sunk. Not the company of the 80's and 90's.

Advice to Management

Less smoke and mirrors pretending you know what you are doing.

"Don't be fooled by the rosy image at the interview process"

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just like in any other place, there are descent people above you (nevetheless, they cannot deliver on promises because the multiple-layer structure and mentality).

Cons

Corporate mentality is so rampant here. It just puts you in a complete circle and makes you feel that you have gotten absolutely nowhere. Just stuck in a rut.

Advice to Management

Wake up, and look at your people as humans not just mere numbers.

"Titanic of a company - Another round of lay-offs - find a life boat!"

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in West Chester, OH

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, good product line.

Cons

Ineffective mid-level management combined with terrible senior management that lacks integrity. No upward mobility, chronyism, dishonest "bonus" as a part of salary, offshoring of engineering services, decliining customer base to more efficient and better run competitors. Product line has few unique attributes that can't be better produced by other companies.

Advice to Management

Let a real management team take over the company before it sinks.

"Not the same company I joined many years ago."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in West Chester, OH

Pros

Great co-workers and good front line managers. Flexibility, good products.

Cons

No leadership from the top, executive team has deteriorated the company. All knowledge and culture has been eroded from the company.

Advice to Management

Please leave and allow a new management team to save the company.