Contech Engineered Solutions Reviews

• Any Status
1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael M. Rafi

Pros
  • Great people, solid corporate reputation, great solutions (in 6 reviews)

• Good co-workers, good lower level management, reasonable office space, based on great former company, good product lines, reasonable salary (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Ineffective mid-level management combined with terrible senior management that lacks integrity (in 3 reviews)

• It is extremely top heavy in management and unresponsive to steering corrections from inside and outside the company (in 3 reviews)

1. "I hate working here as a welder in Redding California"

Current Employee - Welder in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Welder in Redding, CA

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros of this company is the good pay as a welder. It gets very hot here in redding cal and the management buys water and Popsicles for us to have on break. I can't say much of anything else.

Cons

This is a really horrible place to work. When I went to go in to the interview they told me that it was really good that I certified and that they would need somone like me. They asked if I could read blueprints and I told them yes. I was so excited to join there company because I just got out of technical school. I am very skilled. So the next week I start working only to find out that there is no use for my certifications, the person next to me whom is welding has never welded before in his entire life, I don't need to read blueprints and I hate how management deceived me into this job by telling me that my skills are needed when there is no skill needed at all. The employees don't care about you and my new nickname is horible cuss words and I am constantly cut down and cussed out by the forman. They also will not provide me with a helmet that I need (mine is falling apart and is broken. When asked if I can use one of there helmets. I am told " I don't care what you need". I also self galvanized steel often and even with a respirator it makes me sick. I don't want to work here anymore. Bottom line is if you are a welder with certifications and you have loads of skill your skill isn't needed, so go find yourself a skilled job that will push you further into your career.

Advice to Management

You need actually get better fans and get welding helmets that blow cold air on you. Also listen to your employees when they say that somthing is needed. Tell the Forman to stop cussing me out.

"Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented employees, robust product portfolio, decent work-life balance with vacation purchase option, good investment program with intermittent company matching. Fun atmosphere outside of the office..be prepared to drink and socialize. Wow..they supply coffee and soft drinks. Management, they love to come into town and flaunt their company expense accounts by taking the staff to expensive dinners...and then tell you that the money isn't there for raises or bonuses.

Cons

This top heavy company nearly destroyed my career, what a huge mistake and wasted years. The worst management I've had in my 15 year career. Peoples lives are meaningless while the CEOs play monopoly. I'm a seasoned PE and yet the company thinks its okay to have a non-PE supervisor. My supervisor couldn't and hasn't passed the PE exam after 3,4,5 attempts?! This company relies upon concrete fabrication; However, my supervisor didn't know how water/cement ratio effects concrete strength. Management fosters ill will and unhealthy competition in the staff. Salesmen and CAD techs rule, call the shots, and whine while the engineers that design, manufacture, and spec your products are not appreciated. The bean counters love to burden everyday activities such as phone calls, emails, and work tasks with redundant data base entries so that they can metric every function to look for inefficiencies..HELLO.

Advice to Management

Get ahold of yourselves.. you think your special but your a waste of money and resources. Flying around on jets firing people that lead your company in sales...excellent idea to save a few bucks by swindling out of paying bonuses. But then again how else do you put your wives in $1,000 Christian Louboutain shoes, fly to Cancun for a week on the company expenses, and make everyone kiss up to your arrogant overpaid selves?

3. "No Comments"

Former Employee - Senior Estimator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Senior Estimator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not have any good to say about this company

Cons

You need to speak Chinese because all the working staff speak Chinese and they about you in Chinese and you did not know what they are saying and you will not fit in. Plus you will not make it as a Project Manager if you are not Chinese.

"You DO NOT want to work here!!!"

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time

Pros

I met some good employees but most left for a better company or got let go because that's how things are done there

Cons

Awful management. They are politicians not leaders, and there is no meaning behind their words. This place had potential to be a good place to work, but the company has been obliterated by the management team. I wouldn't be surprised if it is them posting the only positive reviews about this place. It's probably a requirement for their next promotion Make sure you read the reviews for CONTECH as well. Contech Engineered Solutions is the new company name but it is the same old bull

Advice to Management

Leave. Work on becoming good people and you might start to realize how a company is supposed to be run, and may actually gain some respect from your employees in the process

"Same old song and dance...."

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people with the company's interests at heart.

Cons

The "ELC" has run the company into the ground.They reorganize, learn nothing, reorganize again...each time laying off "A" quality people. The CEO is a leader with a mission - make himself richer at the expense of the people who are keeping the company running. For example, what kind of "leader" sends a company wide email telling employees that times are tough and that we all need to find ways to tighten our belts while at the same time employing a full-time executive pilot to fly his corporate private jet? Or how does this same "leader" justify throwing a private invitation only Christmas Party at Reds Stadium while telling the regions to cut costs by not giving gifts or having parties? This culture has led to mistrust internally and a focus on process and procedures instead of on the customer - resulting in many dissatisfied customers who are finding other alternative products.

Advice to Management

Leave - immediately - and go ruin some other company.

"Going Down Fast"

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There really are no pros to working for this company.

Cons

This could be a really long list. Lets start with the executive team: they suck. They don't care about anyone but themselves and they are running the company into the ground. They spend all the money on themselves and the hard working employees pay for it. Countless employees have left over the past several months, and they have turned to hiring young, fresh out of college kids that have no clue what they are getting themselves into. Run fast from this company if you are a current employee or if you are interviewing. There are much better companies out there. This one is going down fast. Numbers are being fudged and something shady is definitely going down.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Learn how to run a company. Stop spending all the money on yourselves.

"President of this, President of that... getting nowhere."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not much. Although in the right territory and smoozing the correct mgmt you can find yourself with some lucrative sales territories/compensation structures.

Cons

Company is mismanaged beyond comprehension. They can't get the management structure correct, have too many Presidents of this and Presidents of that who clearly can't make the correct decisions for the company (as evident by numerous layoff's, poor product quality, logistical internal nightmares and pricing which is anything but competitive), This ship has already sunk. Not the company of the 80's and 90's.

Advice to Management

Less smoke and mirrors pretending you know what you are doing.

"Run, don't walk away"

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees (if there are any left)

Cons

Yet another round of job cuts last month, how many more times will senior management do this before they realize they have decimated what once was a great company? Morale is awful, everyone is looking over their shoulders wondering what will happen next and nobody has trust in the executive team.

Advice to Management

Put your egos aside and leave so that some real leaders can come in and salvage what is left of this company. Your employees are smart enough to see right through what you are doing, stop spending money frivolously when you haven't made any contribution to the company.

"Long for the good ol days...yet another major reduction in work force"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Product Line Excellent Technical Support Staff Solid people on the fron line

Cons

Too many layoffs over past 5 years Go on furlough, get an email....is that wrong or what? Big Brother...everything is salespeople's fault Incompetent middle managers including some Director positions

Advice to Management

You don't win a war by depleting sales staff, i.e. those in battle on the front line taking the bullets. This company is WAY TOO Fat in the middle and continues to bulge at the seam. The overhead keeps pricing levels at uncompetitive levels. Signature PVC product is too high to sell, company insists on 15% profit margins in an economy that doesn't allow it but due to being fat in the middle it's 15% or nothing. As former Sales Engineer, it's been nothing for way too long. Too many managers sitting at their desk dictating selling strategies in territories they aren't familiar with (because they spend their day behind a desk) to contractors they never met (because they spend their day behind a desk) thus negating the human element which is so vital in relationship building as a sales organization

"Don't be fooled by the rosy image at the interview process"

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just like in any other place, there are descent people above you (nevetheless, they cannot deliver on promises because the multiple-layer structure and mentality).

Cons

Corporate mentality is so rampant here. It just puts you in a complete circle and makes you feel that you have gotten absolutely nowhere. Just stuck in a rut.

Advice to Management

Wake up, and look at your people as humans not just mere numbers.

RSS Feed </> Embed