Contech Engineered Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Winchester
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great people, solid corporate reputation, great solutions (in 8 reviews)

• Good work life/balance in outside sales (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to know what direction to go (in 7 reviews)

• Really poor management non-appreciative (in 3 reviews)

1. "Going quikly downhill"

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in West Chester, OH

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people and convenient location

Cons

Recent Quikrete ownership brought outdated systems/processes, horrible benefits, and bad morale

Advice to Management

None

"POOR Management"

Former Employee - Plant Clerk in Seminole, FL
    Former Employee - Plant Clerk in Seminole, FL

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours- Free Coffee and Sodas

Cons

Really poor management non-appreciative. Boys Club, period.

Advice to Management

Training schedule needs to be implemented. Expecting a *Non-Error* performance after changing job description and software system is unrealistic. Software needs to be 100% before implementing a switch-over to new, not 70%. When management can't perform your job, they can't possibly understand daily functions that go with it and rate performance.

"Limited Future of Company and Employees"

Former Employee - Intentionally Left Blank in West Chester, OH

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, good lower level management, reasonable office space, based on great former company, good product lines, reasonable salary

Cons

Little to no upward mobility, off shoring engineering, dales force questionable tactics, too many overpaid and poor performing mid and upper level managers, poor business decisions, uncompetitive prices versus competition, questionable legal actions against competitors

"Great place if you want to be a Salesman"

Current Employee - Storm Water in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Storm Water in Portland, OR

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, the employees are friendly

Cons

Expect to work more than 45hrs a week, there is no sick pay, not all employees are treated the same, expect to hear inappropriate conversation, there is little to no engineering (90% sales, 10% engineering), At times selling a superior product, but often you are not.

Advice to Management

Management is too worried about being friends with employees and not their boss, unreal profit expectations

"Remember Eastern Airlines, Circuit City, and Contech??"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people at the local level and the brand still has awareness; unfortunately it is fading fast

Cons

Multiple layers of redundant & incompetent management that hinder the people trying to conduct business, and stifles new ideas or changes. Overpriced products with no intrinsic value over the competitors’ products. I have worked in numerous regions and the consensus is the same all over. The lack of transparency regarding the company’s future and appearance to only focus on the short-term quick buck makes it a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live here!

Advice to Management

I started with BridgeTek so I know what you know, If you really believe the bridges, pipe, etc are worth a higher premium than the rest of the market, show your people why it is so they can convey it. The fact is that there is no real justification for these higher prices, your customers know it, and your competitors appreciate it.

"Company is mismanaged!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really can't think of any pros to working for this company, there are so many other "good" companies out there.

Cons

Not a healthy work environment, nor does CONTECH offer its employees any type of work life balance. The company hasn't been financially stable in over five years. in my time at CONTECH the private investors changed four times. What does that say about a company? The company is totally mismanaged. Employees are over worked and not appreciated.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't take note of anyone's suggestions, so why make a comment here.

"A Sinking Ship for Sure: Limited Scope of Professional Experience with Abysmal Management and Ownership."

Former Employee - Intentionally Left Blank in West Chester, OH

Pros

Good people at lower levels. Average pay.

Cons

CONTECH is a Titanic of a company and its fate is certain to be the same: a sinking ship that had great promise but recklessly steered. The only thing keeping it afloat currently is their capitalizing on the reputation and business base created by the once privately owned and superbly managed Bridgetek. Unfortunately for the employees, those days are gone (as are most of the original employees). The new management (now Goldman Sachs owned in a debt-for-equity swap to avoid bankruptcy) has failed in its attempt to cobble together a cohesive product line with a sound business base and offer it as a publicly owned entity. It is extremely top heavy in management and unresponsive to steering corrections from inside and outside the company. Annual bonuses offered to line employees to offset the average compensation are elusive and never realized except at upper management levels. To offset the costs of over-salaried, under performing management, the company initiated an off-shoring of technical jobs to India. Recent layoffs targeted more technical expertise to save costs for upper management salaries: they cut the beef and left the fat. Inefficient and unworkable business structures are maintained when clearly unworkable. It has a highly engineered product line run by managers that are accountants ... with predictable results. Company management is perceived as secretive and dishonest. Customers are beating the path to upstart competitor companies, mostly started by previous employees, which provide identical product with much better pricing and excellent customer service. There is virtually no upward mobility within the company. CONTECH employees are extremely dissatisfied and are exiting with the first reasonable opportunity. Any assessment that states otherwise should be suspect as disinformation.

Advice to Management

It's not the 1980s or 1990s anymore.

"AVOID CONTECH!"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Making your own schedule is probably the best reason to work at CONTECH. There is quite a bit of flexibility as long as you continue to produce. The company provides a vehicle although the quality of the selection of vehicles tends to decline on a regular basis. The benefit package is reasonable however I have heard that they recently eliminated the 401k match. The sales engineers and product specialists call on a variety of clients including engineers, architects, developers and contractors so every day can be entirely different. Some of the guys that work there are great and I have relationships from my time there that I will always cherish.

Cons

Upper management has no idea of the realities of the market from the field level perspective. They change the incentive plan every year and every year it gets worse. Don't even think of promotion from within. Ingersall Rand rejects now run CONTECH. Very few "at the top" have worked the lower level positions so how could they know the true day to day challenges that we face as field level sales engineers? Communication is very poor. Every year during my time at CONTECH, the field staff were not provided with the "new and improved" incentive plan until about 2 to 3 month into the fiscal year.

Advice to Management

Try to listen to the guys in the field a little more. Set realistic goals. Lose some of the fluff levels of senior management in an effort to keep overhead down instead of reaching in the pockets of the Sales Engineers... PAY YOUR PEOPLE!

"Employees and customers don't like CONTECH."

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Contech has high name recognition in the industry. We seem to have access to any product to sell. Most people know us.

Cons

We sure fire a lot of people! The company doesn't pay attention to what the customers say about what their needs are or what they want. It's all one way. I get a lot of customers complaining about the way we do business.

We don't call people back in time and customers know we aren't local. They laugh at us when they hear how our Reps pronounce the names of cities.

I don't know much about the products I sell. My customer's can tell I can't help much but I can buy dinner and cut my competitor's price. The customers in my area think I just call a specialist all of the time - they know I only come around to close orders.

Advice to Management

Learn about the business not just what you think the company should become. Too much Ingersol Rand and GE influence. Your egos are way to big.

10. "Hope Quikrete is more employee focused."

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, some autonomy in my role.

Cons

During my tenure, the company ownership was a revolving door of holding companies. There seemed to be a different management team every two years, so regardless of what management said, the rank and file simply continued to do whatever they wanted because they knew the "new" team would be gone before they ever figured out that they were being ignored. Also, as is often the case with large organizations, upper management made decisions from "on high" that seemed pretty comical (or frustrating, depending on the day) to the folks who had to implement them on the grassroots level.

It seemed that the mid to upper managers were very good at preening and posturing, but hopelessly inept at anything other than justifying their existence with endless busywork.

Advice to Management

The company is now owned by Quikrete. Hopefully Contech is in better hands now than when I worked there.