Contech Engineered Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Jim Winchester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, solid corporate reputation, great solutions (in 9 reviews)

• Good work life/balance in outside sales (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to know what direction to go (in 7 reviews)

• Really poor management non-appreciative (in 3 reviews)

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There was a time when contech was a great place to work. It had a great reputation and many loyal customers. There are a few customers out there that view contech's products to be of higher quality and therefore are willing to pay a higher price. Contech is a national company so there are groups set up such as a marketing group, human resources, engineering, etc. that are very helpful at times. Contech tends to give young professionals the opportunity to break into the sales side of the civil engineering industry. Contech has a great core group of sales engineers that have been loyal for a long time.

Cons

Unfortunately, times have changed and contech has not prepared for the changes. Contech insists that the Sales Engineers quote projects above market price in attempt to encourage our competitors to raise their prices which will supposedly lead to more money for all in the end. The problem is that our main competitor sits back and laughs at us and keeps their prices low and takes a higher market share. When management asks why bookings are low, we tell them that our prices are too high and then it's up to us to provide evidence in the form of a quote from our customers which isn't easy to get. The company has recently decided to not match 401k contributions unless we meet our fiscal year target set for the entire company. In other words, if I make my target yet no one else does, I still don't get my match. Management has changed recently for the worse. Pay is significantly lower for some than others. Management does not trust the sales force. The sales force gets blamed for the low bookings when the horrible state of the housing market is truly to blame.

Advice to Management

Try to be encouraging instead of distrustful. The blame rolls downhill in this company and stops at the sales engineer's level. It's not our fault contech enjoyed the residential boom and didn't prepare for the future by investing in RCP. The layoffs were unfairly directed at lower level employees when all along, the executive level grew fatter and fatter. How many VP's does one company need?

"Not the same company I joined many years ago."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in West Chester, OH

Pros

Great co-workers and good front line managers. Flexibility, good products.

Cons

No leadership from the top, executive team has deteriorated the company. All knowledge and culture has been eroded from the company.

Advice to Management

Please leave and allow a new management team to save the company.

"Titanic of a company - Another round of lay-offs - find a life boat!"

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in West Chester, OH

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, good product line.

Cons

Ineffective mid-level management combined with terrible senior management that lacks integrity. No upward mobility, chronyism, dishonest "bonus" as a part of salary, offshoring of engineering services, decliining customer base to more efficient and better run competitors. Product line has few unique attributes that can't be better produced by other companies.

Advice to Management

Let a real management team take over the company before it sinks.

"Don't be fooled by the rosy image at the interview process"

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just like in any other place, there are descent people above you (nevetheless, they cannot deliver on promises because the multiple-layer structure and mentality).

Cons

Corporate mentality is so rampant here. It just puts you in a complete circle and makes you feel that you have gotten absolutely nowhere. Just stuck in a rut.

Advice to Management

Wake up, and look at your people as humans not just mere numbers.

"Run, don't walk away"

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees (if there are any left)

Cons

Yet another round of job cuts last month, how many more times will senior management do this before they realize they have decimated what once was a great company? Morale is awful, everyone is looking over their shoulders wondering what will happen next and nobody has trust in the executive team.

Advice to Management

Put your egos aside and leave so that some real leaders can come in and salvage what is left of this company. Your employees are smart enough to see right through what you are doing, stop spending money frivolously when you haven't made any contribution to the company.

"President of this, President of that... getting nowhere."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not much. Although in the right territory and smoozing the correct mgmt you can find yourself with some lucrative sales territories/compensation structures.

Cons

Company is mismanaged beyond comprehension. They can't get the management structure correct, have too many Presidents of this and Presidents of that who clearly can't make the correct decisions for the company (as evident by numerous layoff's, poor product quality, logistical internal nightmares and pricing which is anything but competitive), This ship has already sunk. Not the company of the 80's and 90's.

Advice to Management

Less smoke and mirrors pretending you know what you are doing.

"Going Down Fast"

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There really are no pros to working for this company.

Cons

This could be a really long list. Lets start with the executive team: they suck. They don't care about anyone but themselves and they are running the company into the ground. They spend all the money on themselves and the hard working employees pay for it. Countless employees have left over the past several months, and they have turned to hiring young, fresh out of college kids that have no clue what they are getting themselves into. Run fast from this company if you are a current employee or if you are interviewing. There are much better companies out there. This one is going down fast. Numbers are being fudged and something shady is definitely going down.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Learn how to run a company. Stop spending all the money on yourselves.

"Same old song and dance...."

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people with the company's interests at heart.

Cons

The "ELC" has run the company into the ground.They reorganize, learn nothing, reorganize again...each time laying off "A" quality people. The CEO is a leader with a mission - make himself richer at the expense of the people who are keeping the company running. For example, what kind of "leader" sends a company wide email telling employees that times are tough and that we all need to find ways to tighten our belts while at the same time employing a full-time executive pilot to fly his corporate private jet? Or how does this same "leader" justify throwing a private invitation only Christmas Party at Reds Stadium while telling the regions to cut costs by not giving gifts or having parties? This culture has led to mistrust internally and a focus on process and procedures instead of on the customer - resulting in many dissatisfied customers who are finding other alternative products.

Advice to Management

Leave - immediately - and go ruin some other company.

9. "Pathetic"

Pros

No pros to speak of. The worst company I ever worked for

Cons

The management sucks and look at you like you are nothing

Advice to Management

Get it together before you run the company into the ground

"You DO NOT want to work here!!!"

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time

Pros

I met some good employees but most left for a better company or got let go because that's how things are done there

Cons

Awful management. They are politicians not leaders, and there is no meaning behind their words. This place had potential to be a good place to work, but the company has been obliterated by the management team. I wouldn't be surprised if it is them posting the only positive reviews about this place. It's probably a requirement for their next promotion

Make sure you read the reviews for CONTECH as well. Contech Engineered Solutions is the new company name but it is the same old bull

Advice to Management

Leave. Work on becoming good people and you might start to realize how a company is supposed to be run, and may actually gain some respect from your employees in the process