Contech Engineered Solutions Sales Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Sales Engineer

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Winchester

Pros
  • Great people, solid corporate reputation, great solutions (in 8 reviews)

• I have a great work life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sales Engineer"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent People, great products, no micromanagement

Cons

Slow to react/change with regulatory requirements to become more cost effective

Advice to Management

Be cognizant of how departmental changes and shifts in supervisory reports affect the soldiers in the field

"President of this, President of that... getting nowhere."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not much. Although in the right territory and smoozing the correct mgmt you can find yourself with some lucrative sales territories/compensation structures.

Cons

Company is mismanaged beyond comprehension. They can't get the management structure correct, have too many Presidents of this and Presidents of that who clearly can't make the correct decisions for the company (as evident by numerous layoff's, poor product quality, logistical internal nightmares and pricing which is anything but competitive), This ship has already sunk. Not the company of the 80's and 90's.

Advice to Management

Less smoke and mirrors pretending you know what you are doing.

"Not the same company I joined many years ago."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in West Chester, OH

Pros

Great co-workers and good front line managers. Flexibility, good products.

Cons

No leadership from the top, executive team has deteriorated the company. All knowledge and culture has been eroded from the company.

Advice to Management

Please leave and allow a new management team to save the company.

"AVOID CONTECH!"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Making your own schedule is probably the best reason to work at CONTECH. There is quite a bit of flexibility as long as you continue to produce. The company provides a vehicle although the quality of the selection of vehicles tends to decline on a regular basis. The benefit package is reasonable however I have heard that they recently eliminated the 401k match. The sales engineers and product specialists call on a variety of clients including engineers, architects, developers and contractors so every day can be entirely different. Some of the guys that work there are great and I have relationships from my time there that I will always cherish.

Cons

Upper management has no idea of the realities of the market from the field level perspective. They change the incentive plan every year and every year it gets worse. Don't even think of promotion from within. Ingersall Rand rejects now run CONTECH. Very few "at the top" have worked the lower level positions so how could they know the true day to day challenges that we face as field level sales engineers? Communication is very poor. Every year during my time at CONTECH, the field staff were not provided with the "new and improved" incentive plan until about 2 to 3 month into the fiscal year.

Advice to Management

Try to listen to the guys in the field a little more. Set realistic goals. Lose some of the fluff levels of senior management in an effort to keep overhead down instead of reaching in the pockets of the Sales Engineers... PAY YOUR PEOPLE!

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There was a time when contech was a great place to work. It had a great reputation and many loyal customers. There are a few customers out there that view contech's products to be of higher quality and therefore are willing to pay a higher price. Contech is a national company so there are groups set up such as a marketing group, human resources, engineering, etc. that are very helpful at times. Contech tends to give young professionals the opportunity to break into the sales side of the civil engineering industry. Contech has a great core group of sales engineers that have been loyal for a long time.

Cons

Unfortunately, times have changed and contech has not prepared for the changes. Contech insists that the Sales Engineers quote projects above market price in attempt to encourage our competitors to raise their prices which will supposedly lead to more money for all in the end. The problem is that our main competitor sits back and laughs at us and keeps their prices low and takes a higher market share. When management asks why bookings are low, we tell them that our prices are too high and then it's up to us to provide evidence in the form of a quote from our customers which isn't easy to get. The company has recently decided to not match 401k contributions unless we meet our fiscal year target set for the entire company. In other words, if I make my target yet no one else does, I still don't get my match. Management has changed recently for the worse. Pay is significantly lower for some than others. Management does not trust the sales force. The sales force gets blamed for the low bookings when the horrible state of the housing market is truly to blame.

Advice to Management

Try to be encouraging instead of distrustful. The blame rolls downhill in this company and stops at the sales engineer's level. It's not our fault contech enjoyed the residential boom and didn't prepare for the future by investing in RCP. The layoffs were unfairly directed at lower level employees when all along, the executive level grew fatter and fatter. How many VP's does one company need?

"Employees and customers don't like CONTECH."

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Contech has high name recognition in the industry. We seem to have access to any product to sell. Most people know us.

Cons

We sure fire a lot of people! The company doesn't pay attention to what the customers say about what their needs are or what they want. It's all one way. I get a lot of customers complaining about the way we do business.

We don't call people back in time and customers know we aren't local. They laugh at us when they hear how our Reps pronounce the names of cities.

I don't know much about the products I sell. My customer's can tell I can't help much but I can buy dinner and cut my competitor's price. The customers in my area think I just call a specialist all of the time - they know I only come around to close orders.

Advice to Management

Learn about the business not just what you think the company should become. Too much Ingersol Rand and GE influence. Your egos are way to big.

8. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer

Pros

Great company, great people, great products. If you are looking for a career with growth opportunities this is the company for you.

Cons

Lots of change and large portfolio to get a handle on.

"Great Company gone sideways"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer

Pros

Very knowledgeable and capable front line (field staff)
    Good Comraderie
    Okay Compensation and Benefits
    Some Autonomy (although waning as I write this)

Cons

Silo mentality between different parts of the company (sales vs operations vs engineering, etc)
    Upper management seems much more concerned with the next 6-12 months (potential sale of the company) than the long term strength of the company
    Virtually no upward growth or opportunity without spending 2-3 years in Ohio home office cooling heals.

Advice to Management

Start thiking more long term for the health of the company (5+ years) and start making acquisitions that work well with our current portfolio. Provide better opportunities or compensation packages (weighted toward commission) for field people.

"Contech"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

Pros

Freedom to make own schedule. pay was decent when construction was strong, overall an interesting job

Cons

poor management, no opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

get rid of middle management