ContextMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
ContextMedia Chief Executive Officer and Founder Rishi Shah
Rishi Shah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with and a fun company culture; ping pong, free lunch, coffee bar, etc (in 12 reviews)

• The company culture is also really great (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No respect for work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• As a result, certain growing pains are inevitable (in 5 reviews)

"Strategy Analyst"

I have been working at ContextMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly talented employees who encourage growth, change and efficiency. Training program allows you to learn about every aspect of the business, from the filming of customized videos, the installation process, the manufacturing process, to the sales process and everywhere in between.

Cons

Not a con in my book but can imagine this job would be very difficult for someone used to a "routine". There is so much growth and innovation, the ability to adapt is definitely a skill.

Advice to Management

I am humbled to work for such inspiring, respectable and yet extremely approachable management. Weekly Town Hall Meetings keep transparency high and keeps us behind where the founders see our growth!

"Best-in-class benefits"

Current Employee - Talent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ContextMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the fact that we have taken a holistic approach to benefits. Rather than think of benefits piecemeal as healthcare and other perks, we have redesigned benefits to address the various aspects that affect us and our families and bring forth solutions that address most of them. Introducing - Care@ContextMedia - a Best-in-class benefits program with 7 pillars under it: health, family, time away, convenience, finance, learning/growth and community.

Each of these pillars asks the question what does our community and their loved ones care the most about and how can we make it as easy and effortless on them to gain access to what they care about while they do their jobs of transforming healthcare, which is what ContextMedia is all about.

Some examples of industry leading benefits under some of these pillars include additional time off for your wedding (not part of your PTO), cry-freezing and fertility support, college loan refinancing and very generous survivor benefits (in the unfortunate event that something happens to the employee, their loved ones are taken care of for a very long time), recharge - a full month of paid time off after completing 5 years of continuous service etc.

Cons

I know the company will continue to evaluate their benefits each year. However, the one area where we fall short of our competitors is our PTO policy, which can and be more generous

"Inflated Valuation - Buyer Beware"

I have been working at ContextMedia full-time

Pros

Beautiful office in convenient downtown Chicago location. Company has recently rolled out refreshed benefits plan that demonstrates improvement.

Cons

Steve Jobs said it best: A players hire B players, and the cycle continues. We're welcoming classes of D players on a bi-weekly basis. Immature and inexperienced management fosters an environment of backstabbing, gossip, and known harassment issues. This seems to be a way to distract from the fact that our members simply are not using the product. Limited opportunities for career advancement across the board, particularly for women (the woman President is notoriously threatened by other intelligent women). Brain drain is a very present threat, as I've watched some of the company's best leave en masse. Business ethics are not a priority, and some decisions related to data manipulation are questionable at best.

Advice to Management

Stop rewriting history; acknowledge and learn from your mistakes rather than scapegoating. Integrity matters more than anything else--when it is compromised it is impossible to rebuild trust with your employees.

"New Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people! My interview process was very quick but I met a ton of great people along the way and everyone is willing to help where they can. Blown away by the culture of the company and their mission. Excited to see what the future holds!

Cons

No cons! Everything that I've experienced so far has been wonderful even with all the loops we had to go through to get me there. Wouldn't change a thing!

"Driven Organization"

I have been working at ContextMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Context Media presents a great opportunity and environment. It is aggressively driven against a very clear vision or who we are and where we are going. If you are not interested in a hard driving environment, not the place for you

Cons

As Context Media has seen exponential growth, the organizational structure and processes have down evolved at the same pace. Somethings are still run like a small young organization. Which you just can;t do when nearing 500 employees.

Advice to Management

As Context Media grows in footprint, revenue and people, we need to make sure our structure, processes and employee offerings are evolving at the same rate.

"ContextMedia: Smart Leadership, Rewarding Work, Lifelong Friends"

Pros

- Amazing company at the intersection of healthcare and tech that is bridging the gap between patients, providers and therapies -- you feel like you can go home at the end of the day knowing you've done something good for the world through contributing toward a strong social mission
    - I love my coworkers. They are some of my best friends.
    - The people in my team are hard-working and motivated, which challenges you to up your game professionally to contend with the best
    - If you truly put in the time and effort, you will be rewarded and afforded opportunities to own projects/initiatives
    - The leadership team is off-the-charts intelligent - you can't rest assured that you are in good hands. We're talking about a couple co-founders who dropped out of college to found one of the fastest growing digital healthcare companies in the world
    - 100% bootstrapped company with no outside funding - full strategic control is in the hands of the founders, Rishi and Shradha
    - The hiring and recruitment process is really important to the executive team. They care that candidates are treated with respect and move though the interview process quickly - I've seen this first-hand through my involvement in the interview process for a team earlier this year.
    - Very few people know that CMH manufactures it's own hardware (Tablet & Wallboard products) and has made significant improvements to its product portfolio in 2016, with some really exciting ideas floating around for future product releases
    - CMH has an incentive program called an RIA that vests over a five year incremental schedule -- they claim that the company could possibly have a minimum valuation of $15B which would mean this package could be worth more than $100K for someone who joins the company today. Also have 401K plus match.
    - A lot of perks: modern office, in-house barista, free catered lunch every day, cold breakfast provided, free gym access in-building, free yoga and meditation classes, expensive work stations (two huge mac monitors)

Cons

- There are a couple managers in the company who don't seem bright (despite what I said above). There are always a couple bad apples, but I think the executive team has taken notice of this and has made some adjustments.
    - You can't get attached to one way of doing something, because it will 100% change. CMH is growing so damn quickly that sometime communication lags behind the innovation that's happening. The leadership team is aware of this, but they could do better in making sure that everyone is informed of changes at that they are keeping messaging consistent.
    - You work incredibly hard at this place and have goals that are stressful. There's a reason why this place is growing at 200%+ per year, but it comes at a cost.

Advice to Management

- Managers should be held accountable and reviewed by the employees/teams they manage. They hold us accountable on a daily basis and should understand how effective their management styles are in reality. They should have the opportunity to hear direct feedback and make adjustments from there.
    - The company should provide more opportunities for employees to destress - whether it's events or just employee appreciation stuff - there's a huge need here and something should be done about it.
    - Career development opportunities absolutely exist and have happened for a lot of deserving people, but managers could do a much better job of explaining what those specific opportunities are and what a roadmap to get there looks like. Specific teams seem a little stagnant.

"High expectations"

I worked at ContextMedia full-time

Pros

It is a newer company which makes it a great time to join and become a part of the growth.

Cons

Training process was not long enough to set up the employees for success.

"ContextMedia is a facade"

I have been working at ContextMedia full-time

Pros

The office space is beautiful, there is a barista bar with free coffee and specialty drinks, free lunch and fun company events. But don't let that trick you...

Cons

The CEOs keep fooling themselves that they run a Silicon Valley tech company on the level of Facebook or Google when in fact they provide a very basic service. It's a nice company and there are lots of nice people but the pure talent level inside the company is nothing special. The company lacks experienced and dynamic leaders which brings me to my next point...

Advice to Management

Your interviews are way too extravagant for the work people do. The entire "lets change the world together" nonsense is obnoxious and people will continue to see its all smoke in mirrors. Demonstrate accountability and think long term rather than only focusing on the short term. You're going to need to earn respect rather than worrying if people like you.

"Patient Engagement Specialist"

Current Employee - Patient Engagement Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Engagement Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ContextMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity within a growing company and industry leader. Compensation is great compared to other tech/healthcare companies.

Cons

Due to fast growth, communication between departments can be lost.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Excellent Opportunities at Context Media!!! Impressed all around..."

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ContextMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is in a high growth period. There is a clear vision from management. They find positive culture important and want to keep employees happy and enthusiastic about the company mission. Everyone I have met seems genuinely happy & hard working. Very extremely brilliant executive team. There is a ton of opportunity for this company to increase revenue and partners in the coming months and years. Looking forward to a long prosperous career here. So far, there seems to be a ton of support for my role and all teams working together for the end goal of Patient education during point of care to make more informed decisions.

Cons

Pretty lengthy interview process. At times I felt they weren't interested anymore in me as a candidate due to lack of communication. However, everything worked out in the end. Seems to be a work hard - stay in the office kind of place. Can be a pro such as catered lunch in office every day and barista + coffee bar with free lattes. They make it hard to leave the office ever :) Surprised they didn't have a Health Club allowance. They do have access to the free building health club which is pretty lame. Also surprised they did not have Flex Spending options for pre-tax payment opps for Healthcare. Very surprised with a Healthcare company this large and growing...

Advice to Management

Keep on being awesome! Very impressed with the company so far. Pleasantly surprised by everything I have heard my first week about growth potential and company mission. Love the office vibe! Excited to be here...